Education, Travel & Culture Reviews | Glassdoor

Education, Travel & Culture Reviews

Updated Oct 7, 2019

4.6
  1. "Best Company in the World to Work For"

Current Employee - Field Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at Education, Travel & Culture full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, We CHANGE LIVES, Travel Perks, Caring Management Team, Excellent Customer Service, Exemplary Compliance,

Cons

Very few cons in this business. The summer recruitment season is tough, but every job has its deadlines and pressure.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work

Education, Travel & Culture2019-10-07
  2. "Amazing Organization"

Current Contractor - Assistant Field Manager in Brevard, NC

I have been working at Education, Travel & Culture for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, great relationships, fun job, easy to make money, lots of support and training, no costs

Cons

More money the more students you oversee... so it could take a bit before you start making money

Education, Travel & Culture2019-04-02

"Good life balance"

Former Employee - Local Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Education, Travel & Culture part-time for more than a year

Pros

Building Relationships, helping families and kids.

Cons

Pay real low, no career advancment

Education, Travel & Culture2018-06-12

"Recruitment Specialist"

Current Employee - Recruitment Specialist in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Education, Travel & Culture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, can work anywhere, family values, working from home, travel bonuses

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth

Education, Travel & Culture2017-07-13

"Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at Education, Travel & Culture full-time

Pros

Field staff is very great at recognizing and rewarding field staff (local coordinators, etc), but less so for office staff. It's very rewarding to help international high school kids, and American families, have this life changing experience. ETC has extremely high standards for our staff and host families, and I highly recommend this organization to anyone looking to host a student or work as a local coordinator.

Cons

Can be cliquish among office staff, especially among program manager. "Executive Director" (but really owner) is rarely in the office, but micromanages to the point of setting the dates and menus for office birthday parties. Has the feeling of a small family company, which can be very nice, but the companies are growing so much that better structures are needed. They are starting to implement these, but it is a... bumpy and uneven process. This is nonprofit only because it's legally required - it's run like a business.

Advice to Management

Micromanage less. Give more ownership and responsibility to engaged staff, and treat your office staff as well as you treat field staff - just because we don't place students doesn't mean we're not necessary to the process.

Education, Travel & Culture2015-08-02
  6. "Marketing Coordinator- recruit students to study abroad in Salamanca, Spain"

I have been working at Education, Travel & Culture part-time

Pros

The opportunity to bring college students to study in Spain is an absolute honor.

Cons

Travel expenses can become difficult but at the end of the month get rembursement.

Education, Travel & Culture2015-04-09

"Disappointing"

I worked at Education, Travel & Culture full-time

Pros

The company has great intentions, truly cares about its mission and takes compliance with the Department of State seriously.

Cons

This company is poorly managed. One person oversees the entire structure and makes all decisions based nepotism and ,on their own opinions and experiences. This makes for a broken structure in which managers are micromanaged and held accountable yet have no authority. There is no joint decision making- its a one sided approach. Until this company changes its structure it will remain at its present size and offering... which quite frankly is indicative of the max load its current management can handle.

Advice to Management

Remove your present management structure of one woman controlling everything. Ask your employees how they really feel about her and the company anonymously. Ask for evaluation and true feedback in regards to her with out fear of retribution. Your constant long time employees are there because they feel they have no other choice not because of any loyalty.

Education, Travel & Culture2014-08-16

"This is one of my favorite jobs!! I absolutely love working for this company!"

Current Contractor - Field Manager

I have been working at Education, Travel & Culture for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Great managers. Exceptional training process.

Cons

long drives sometimes......that is the only thing I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Education, Travel & Culture2014-04-25