Educational Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

Educational Enterprises Reviews

Updated Apr 24, 2019

Found 9 reviews

2.4
Educational Enterprises CEO Andrew Neumann (no image)
Andrew Neumann
  1. "Working as an after-school mentor"

Former Employee - Mentor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Educational Enterprises part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great adults to work with, great kids too. Lots of opportunities to become really good at leadership.

Cons

You have to know how to manage a lot of children at once. It can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Give even more ideas on classroom management and engaging students.

Educational Enterprises2017-08-23
  2. "Experience will be dependent on where you are placed"

Former Employee - Dean of Students (ScholarsO in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Educational Enterprises full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission statement is solid (although there is mission creep) Kids and families are awesome Many dedicated teachers Facilities are nice and improving

Cons

The principal I worked under should not be a principal anywhere (families, staff would likely agree) Pay is not competitive, but that can be solved when the culture makes it worth it Toxic environment when considering there was discrimination occurring in the school I worked in. Some of the system's belief would be considered discriminatory in modern America Consider the input of your hardest working people,... the teachers and support staff (even when it is hard to hear)

Advice to Management

I consider this the worst experience I had in education, not because of the organization, but because of the leader I worked under, but thankfully I moved into my best experience. As a leader in my current organization, I've already received one promotion to oversee ten sites instead of one (in six months). The organization as a whole has many caring people, but when you consider site administration, consider the... leader's character as opposed to just what they "know". As the debate continues about voucher schools, think about the people you have representing your brand. Our students deserve HIGH EXPECTATIONS, but they still need some joy in their already difficult lives. Nobody deserves to be mistreated (students, staff or otherwise). Thank you for giving me a leadership experience that impacted my current servant leadership.

Educational Enterprises2019-04-24
  3. "Remember the Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Educational Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission & vision. Love their focus with kids in their communities. Wonderful team environment within colleagues.

Cons

Growing company with beurocratic bloat. Too many managers/administrators and unnecessary busy work.

Advice to Management

Change in recent policies and expectations turned a great job into an inflexible grind. Get back to the mission before it hurts the vision.

Educational Enterprises2018-06-04
  4. "Avoid at all costs. Grinds out staff to the next lowest bidder"

Former Employee - Teacher in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Educational Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with children in need Culture is positive and coworkers have your back

Cons

Bare minimum 50 hour work week Offers very little support Communication is not proactive

Advice to Management

Please ensure that all communication is proactive and that all workers are on the same page before making executive decisions. Far too often I found myself blindsided by announcements from coworkers rather than from supervisors. Administration also needs to align priorities. Schools receive hardly enough funding. Treat your employees well and give them a respectable wage. It's sad that you know you will churn... out employees and be able to find the lowest bidder, but such is capitalism.

Educational Enterprises2017-04-19

"Wonderful Organization"

I have been working at Educational Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work-life balance and mission-focused

Cons

Nonprofit-driven salary, capacity issues

Advice to Management

N/A

Educational Enterprises2017-02-03

"The mission is awesome, in theory..."

I worked at Educational Enterprises full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The scholars are wonderful. The pay is decent.

Cons

Incredibly inexperienced leadership and very high turnover. If you're from Teach For America (who receive 5 weeks of summer training to become teachers for 2 years) you're guaranteed a position. Favoritism and nepotism run rampant. Unfortunately, the organization seems much more concerned with becoming the 'KIPP' of Christian education, rather than doing what's best for scholars.

Advice to Management

Our scholars deserve the best prepared, most experienced and TRULY mission aligned staff to help close the achievement gap. Hire the type of staff that you'd expect hired at the schools that you send your OWN children to (because it certainly isn't HOPE or EAGLE) - experienced, certified, stable and committed to a career in education.

Educational Enterprises2015-08-22

"Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Educational Enterprises full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities for growth. Employees are VERY supportive of each other. Regular feedback given by administration and coworkers. Decent schedule compared to similar positions

Cons

Schools are treated like businesses. No autonomy at all for teachers; lots of micromanaging at every level. Comparatively low pay if teacher certified. Low retention of students. High turnover of teachers. No substitute teachers. Young, inexperienced, often untrained staff. Students are given militaristic expectations for behavior and are given few opportunities outside of college-required academics and sports. The... data that is published is twisted to tell a story that doesn't accurately portray what's actually happening in the student population. Wide cultural divides exist between teachers and students with few attempts to create genuine understanding.

Advice to Management

If half of the effort spent on making the schools look exceptionally successful by micromanaging every action and creatively displaying data was put into celebrating the character and culture of the students (and even the employees) in ways that helped them grow, the organization would be a much better place for everyone.

Educational Enterprises2015-04-13

"Company took a turn for the worse"

Former Employee - Teacher in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Educational Enterprises full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great mission initially Competitive salary Many opportunities to grow within the company Nice location to get initial experience for beginning educators but not a long term career

Cons

Administration is inexperienced and headed in a bad direction Schools became more focused on dollars and becoming a scalable business rather focusing on their mission and vision Management wants to make a nationwide presence and name for the schools however fail to support the schools that they are currently operating

Educational Enterprises2015-01-11

"Experienced Educators Need Not Apply"

I worked at Educational Enterprises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gain experience founding a school

Cons

Very little teacher autonomy, scripted lesson plans. Young, inexperienced leadership. Very little diversity among teaching staff with regards to age and experience. Experienced teachers not valued. Large class size (30 students). Pay is not competitive if you have anything above a bachelors degree.

Advice to Management

Hire a diverse teaching staff. Experienced educators bring something of value to the table.

Educational Enterprises2015-01-04