Educational Testing Service Reviews in Ewing, NJ | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Educational Testing Service President and CEO Kurt M. Landgraf
Kurt M. Landgraf

Pros
Cons
  • While working with scoring leaders is usually a positive experience, some (in 29 reviews)

• No benefits for work from home raters (in 14 reviews)

1. "Work from home"

Current Freelancer - Scoring Leader in Ewing, NJ
    Current Freelancer - Scoring Leader in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility and working from home

Cons

Pay should be much better.

Advice to Management

Quality of workers go together with quality of their checks

2. "Okay summer job"

Former Contractor - Temporary Worker in Ewing, NJ
    Former Contractor - Temporary Worker in Ewing, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was very friendly.

Cons

The physical space of the office was a little dull.

3. "No stability"

Current Freelancer - Redesigned SAT Rater in Ewing, NJ
    Current Freelancer - Redesigned SAT Rater in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service (Less than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours. Work from home. Enhance your reading skills.

Cons

Company does not assign many hours

Advice to Management

Offer more hours and better pay to workers

5. "Mostly horrible company"

Current Contractor - Test Security in Ewing, NJ
    Current Contractor - Test Security in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are decent if you actually make it to full time

Cons

They hire a lot of temporary employees and lead them on to think a full time job will be available. Don't believe this as they will not make you full time for 5 years or longer. There is so much waste (time, paper, slow systems) that little work gets done. They are not open to constructive suggestions to better the company.

Advice to Management

Wake up and upgrade the computer systems instead of having everyone spend 5 minutes to upload a single document. Also stop printing out everything and get rid of paper files.

"Upper Mgmt Disorganized"

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, decent wages. Bad work life balance unless you are just starting out your career.

Cons

Upper mgmt is disorganized, they play favorites when it comes to who they are going to hire for positions. A lot of office politics.

Advice to Management

Don't blame the employees who do the actual work for your disorganization.

7. "ETS Review"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Ewing, NJ
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Ewing, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent, could read during downtime, the on site cafeteria had good food. If it wasn't busy, they would sometimes let you leave early.

Cons

Lots of downtime, once the AP exams were over there were long stretches of no calls from parents, students, or teachers.

Advice to Management

No complaints about management, I was just contract help for the AP Exams, there were opportunities to move into other divisions which were nice but I started school so I declined.

"Great, flexible company to work for"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent colleagues, flexible working conditions, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Old timers can be very set in their ways and management isn't quick to fire bad apples

"Full time Corporate employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a genuine focus on fairness to the test-takers and research to provide evidence to support practices that are adopted. As far as the work - it's interesting, collegues are very diverse, and there is some flexibility. This can vary wideley based on who your manager is and what level job you have. As you can imagine, more autonomy and flexibility with higher-level and longer service as you build trust.

Benefits are good - vacation time starts at 3 weeks for full time employees, plus 7 days of Paid Time Off - can be used for sick or other obligations (or together with vacation time). Health insurance options are generous. Corporate culture of charitable giving. Overall it's a great place to work.

I haven't take advantage of it yet, but you can apply for tuition reimbursement to seek an MBA or advanced degree on the side. . . .

Cons

Can have intense projects, deadlines, and expectations, but in my experience, efforts are rewarded. (Watch out on Glassdoor - many of the critical reviews are posted by part-time readers/scorers who work from home - and that pay has not changed much in years as it's frequently determined by clients and contracts. Unfortunately, if a client can get the scoring done by a competitor who promises lower cost, ETS has to be competitive.)

Advice to Management

Great strides have been made to introduce greater flexibiltiy with work from home and some variation on start and end times - I think this keeps ETS attracting better candidates and we can retain them if we offer flexibility and create a very respectful work environment. From what I've seen, the most successful managers are those who let people use their talent and who allow their staff to really take on work on their own with regular check-in/follow up with the manager. They take more ownership! Also, the Rutgers Mini-MBA helps any staff to more clearly understand the global concerns of the company, which overall makes for a better sense of collaboration and working toward the common success of ETS.

10. "Call Center"

Former Employee - Call Center in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - Call Center in Ewing, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good and helpful Employers, comfortable working environment. Organized staff and training with attention to detail that leads to successful employment.

Cons

There should be more opportunities for a direct hire than just a temporary or a contracting position. This will make the employee more confident in the work force.

Advice to Management

A higher salary should be considered since the responsibility of knowledge and assistance to the customer is viable to giving the precise information for every student applying to one of the tests.

"Too sedentary I need more movement"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ewing, NJ

Pros

Get paid well and the people I work with are great for the most part. Get to help people out with moving forward

Cons

Sit down all day and customers are rude and annoying. It's very easy to get fat and I absolutely hate it is making me miserable

Advice to Management

Allow Windows, and more movement