Educational Testing Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Educational Testing Service President and CEO Kurt M. Landgraf
Kurt M. Landgraf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I have never been asked to provide feedback on the experience of working for ETS or on the Scoring Leaders who I work with (in 40 reviews)

• No benefits other than access to a 403(b) (in 30 reviews)

1. "Test Scorer"

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time

Pros

Work from home position with flexible hours and easy scheduling.

Cons

Shift hours vary depending on need

"An employer in decline"

Current Employee - Rater

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

set your own availability
    work from home
    retirement plan

Cons

constant shift cancellations
    sparse work during most of the year
    recent un-grandfathered pay cut
    part time no benefits

Advice to Management

Cutting rater pay is not a good way to increase efficiency and accuracy. Giving employees incentive to out perform themselves is a much better plan, and one that ETS seems to never have heard of.

3. "GR"

I worked at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- welcoming, open environment
    -continuous support and feedback for growth
    -appropriate work hours

Cons

- vague guidelines at times for specific projects

"Nice Job -- You Just Need to Get Used to Inconsistent Scoring Leaders"

Current Employee - Rater

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Decent pay
    Good hours
    Some nice people

Cons

Inconsistent scoring leaders is the main issue I've encountered. I've had a handful so far on the test I just started and have been surprised at the attitudes I've encountered. Mostly nice, but they all seem to have been SLs for a long time and have grown maybe a little callous in how they communicate. Also not terribly helpful to new raters -- to be specific, I've encountered an "I'm surprised you don't already know something I didn't specifically mention in my email" response to questions. But the main issue is how I've been thrown off by feedback that has led me to score too low or too high as I try to adjust. Feedback is helpful except that all SLs I've worked under have not been on the same page, which creates confusion when scoring.

Advice to Management

Periodic training for scoring leaders to keep them fresh and get them all on the same page regarding scoring. Also to remind them of policy so all are on the same page and to reinforce the appropriate way to communicate with their fellow professionals (specifically those working on their team).

"Convenient telecommuting work; very low pay; lack of benefits"

Current Employee - Test Rater
    Current Employee - Test Rater

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home, ability to create one's schedule around one's other obligations, good structure and rules for remote employees allowing them to succeed in their job if they wish to do so.

Cons

Pay is extremely low for the qualifications required and the type of work performed; not a single raise in the past 10+ years. It is extremely difficult to reach anyone at the company headquarters if an emergency arises and employee needs to cancel a scheduled shift. Frequent shift cancellations due to low numbers of test takers. Lack of annual performance reviews and opportunities for good remote employees to advance. Lack of benefits.

Advice to Management

Try to come up with a system where good performance by remote employees is rewarded. Establish a phone number that is staffed during the regularly scheduled days and hours for scoring, where remote employees can call in case of emergency when they need to cancel a confirmed shift. This number has to go directly to the staff in charge of scheduling, rather than the employee having to go through a virtual voicemail maze before reaching someone's voicemail box.

6. "Advocate"

Current Employee - Advocate in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - Advocate in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have influence & make a difference.

Cons

Pay is less than average.

"Degrading pay cut on top of years of good standing"

Current Employee - Rater and Scoring Leader
    Current Employee - Rater and Scoring Leader

Pros

As an SL or rater, you get flexible hours, basically deciding your own schedule.

Cons

NO benefits, recent SHAMEFUL pay cut, cancellations without compensation, no transparency between hierarchy levels.

Advice to Management

Support your raters, they have families to support as well. Make an ETHICAL choice and give us a decent pay!

8. "Research Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Research Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Research Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, excellent learning environment

Cons

Compensation is slightly lower than the industry median.

9. "Manager, IT"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Ewing, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Ewing, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very collaborative, collegial work environment. Everyone seems focused on the key mission -- ensuring the best testing experience for our test taking customers.

Cons

ETS doesn't have tools in place to reward their best performers. The only bonus program for Managers and below is based on company performance -- so mediocre and excellent performers are rewarded exactly the same. Managers don't have tools such as recognition gifts or comp time to reward their best performers. (ETS has a SPOT award program, but these awards are typically quite small -- $50-$100 -- and in some parts of the company they don't seem to be actively supported.)

Advice to Management

Give managers tools to differentiate and reward their best performers.

"Does Not Value Most Employees"

Current Employee - Test Rater in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Test Rater in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-at-home scoring job.
    Pay per hour used to be better.

Cons

Recent major pay cuts for some scoring jobs, in spite of requiring college degrees and high skills for those jobs (and the test-takers pay high prices for the tests)
    No benefits, including no insurance or paid off days.
    Hours have decreased significantly over time for test raters.
    Shifts are sometimes cancelled or reduced at the last minute.

Advice to Management

Do not cut pay for long-time employees. At most, starting pay could be reduced for new hires, but not current employees. You want highly-qualified people (many of the test raters have advanced degrees, all of them at least have a bachelor's). You also charge hundreds of dollars per test for TOEFL and GRE, so the money is there to not cut pay.