Educational Testing Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Educational Testing Service President and CEO Kurt M. Landgraf
Kurt M. Landgraf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While working with scoring leaders is usually a positive experience, some (in 31 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance depends on what part of the organization you are working in (in 10 reviews)

1. "Good support when needed"

Current Employee - Rater in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Rater in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-As a rater, it is nice to talk to your leader when scoring, they are always helpful
    -Nice selection of hours
    -Pay is decent, definitely not a full time salary though

Cons

-Lack of hours available
    -Everything is subjective, which sometimes makes the job responsibility hard

Advice to Management

-Great organization to work for

-a .5 scale would be nice when grading (2.5 or 3.5)

"SAT Rater, ELPAC Rater"

Current Employee - Rater in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Rater in Austin, TX

I have been working at Educational Testing Service (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for working from home. Scoring Leaders are usually very nice and helpful. It's an intense job, and you need to be very meticulous. I love this job!

Cons

Shifts can get canceled a lot. There are months when hours are scarce, depending on test taker volumes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

"Mixed bag...."

Former Employee - Test Security Analyst in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - Test Security Analyst in Ewing, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are permanent the benefits are great. As a temporary employee work-life balance is phenomenal.

Cons

Know that the company culture depends ENTIRELY on the department you're hired into and there is a LOT of nepotism. Also depends on the location - everything in Princeton is nicer/more professional than in Ewing. Management really varies throughout company but tends to be disconnected from the workers, overworked themselves, micromanaging, poor HR skills. The company uses a LOT of temporary employees during peak testing season. In some departments you'll have a chance at being hired for permanent, but in many, they will not consider direct hire (even though they constantly hold this over your head to motivate or threaten you.) I worked in the test security department. They will extend your contract year after year - so they maintain good employees without needing to pay for benefits, etc. I knew a guy (with a family) who did great work and stayed on as a temp for THREE YEARS. Know that the company is going through a lot of changes as the testing industry is changing. Some departments are being downsized or going under entirely. Something I heard the permanent workers complain about a LOT is work-life balance; depending on the staffing of the department you are in you could be overworked (like 2+ extra hours every night during peak season) whereas in other departments you'll get to leave on time, every day, no matter what.

Advice to Management

HIRE BETTER MANAGERS AND DEPARTMENT LEADERS.

4. "Process Admnistrator"

Former Employee - Process Administrator in Ewing, NJ
    Former Employee - Process Administrator in Ewing, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company. Great commitment to mission statement.

Cons

No cons to report. A great work place.

5. "Excellent benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Healthcare, eye, and dental are part of the benefits that are available to the employee right away. Great people to work with (team environment).

Cons

Long hours, lots of overtime, slow advancement.

"Scoring Leader"

Current Employee - Scoring Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Scoring Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is nice to work from home.

Cons

Company is very disorganized in its scheduling system. Shifts for the "following" month are often not confirmed well into that month. Shifts are often added last minute, less than 48 hours prior and it is frowned upon to cancel. And, shifts are also cancelled abruptly. This is my 3 year working as a Scoring Leader and I have stopped signing up for shifts. Very little training (they emailed about a "mandatory" training that we had to sign up for with 72 hours notice, which I did and the company never confirmed my shift. I could not log on or do the training. Sorry for these poor kids taking these standardized tests who have untrained folks scoring their work and molding their future.

7. "Assessment Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service full-time

Pros

Great Company culture, people are friendly and collaborate in working together. Casual dress code. Numerous events and workshops given to all employees (permanent, contract or temporary) to participate and further career development.

Cons

Caution - internal politics within specific departments can be a deterrent to progress in working relationships.

Advice to Management

Meetings should be limited to enable actual work.

8. "Senior Editor"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Editor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Educational Testing Service (More than 8 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere; good benefits; comparable salaries

Cons

Very little opportunities for advancement; silo mentality; lack of training; poor communication among functional groups

9. "Awesome non profit company with great people on a beautiful college like campus"

Former Employee - Assistant Research Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Research Data Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are a wealth of experience. Many research professionals are ETS lifers and really care about the work they do

Cons

Very few cons at ETS. Since it is a non profit the pay is a little below market value. Overall it is a great company.

"Not bad for a seasonal job, flexible schedule"

Current Employee - Test Scorer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Test Scorer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice people to work with ( I work from home and communicate with supervisor through phone and email). I am a rater pay is 13 something an hour, sorry I don't know the exact amount. Paid half a shift if its cancelled under 24 hrs notice.

Cons

Hours aren't guaranteed

Sometimes the scoring prompts can be confusing. Before most shifts you have to go through calibration, if you fail twice on one shift, you're kicked out of that particular days shift and possibly 24 hrs. NO PAY

So if you have another shift within 24 hrs I think you will be uninvited for that shift as well.

Advice to Management

Increase wage. Allow more flexibility and explanation from scoring leaders during calibration.