Educational Testing Service Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Walt MacDonald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Scoring Leaders give inconsistent feedback" (in 41 reviews)

• "Decreasing compensation with no benefits" (in 31 reviews)

"Reader"

Current Employee - Reader in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Reader in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Educational Testing Service (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, wonderful environment, friendly co-workers.

Cons

The work can become tedious by the end of the day.

Advice to Management

Good food means a lot!

"it's just alright"

Current Employee - Rater
    Current Employee - Rater

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than a year)

Pros

work from home
    somewhat flexible scheduling

Cons

tedious
    low pay despite requiring a bachelor's degree
    hard to get a reference for future employment

"Online Rater"

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's great working from home. The work itself is enjoyable. Scheduling is flexible in that you choose the days you are available to work; either party can cancel with very short notice (could be a pro or a con).

Cons

Low pay; no pay raise (not even to account for inflation) since having started over four years ago. Also, 20% pay CUT with neither warning nor explanation. HR is outsourced to a call center in India.

"More rater requirments with less pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You set your own schedule.

Cons

More rater requirements less pay

Advice to Management

Offer more pay and hours with less reader requirements.

"Essay grader"

I worked at Educational Testing Service part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has Flexible schedule. All the work is online

Cons

Doesn’t have enough hours.

"It could be worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

excellent benefits/compensation. Summer hours. Beautiful campus. Challenging work

Cons

management is trying to maintain and is not used to strong competition. Too many very senior people at the top.

Advice to Management

Reduce dependence on consultants.

7. "Account Manager position"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    community is community minded

Cons

lack of direction
    need a sales force

"Absolutely 100% Depends on your manager"

Former Employee - Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Educational Testing Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is stellar. Benefits are great. Salary is fine.

Cons

Managers often retire into their roles, roadblocking anyone under them. Political promotions over better qualified, more experienced individuals. Pettiness is a trait of 65% of middle managers.

Advice to Management

The Dilbert Principle is in full effect here. A deep look at people who have been in the same role for 10-15 years would be a great benefit to the people still trying to make careers out of their opportunity.

"Do Not Apply For a Rater Job"

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time

Pros

Actual work at home job

Cons

Everything else. ETS officials do not care about their remoter raters. We mean absolutely nothing to them. Officials ask for available time from raters weeks in advance each month. There is no set schedule for each test per week or per month. One week you may be working Tuesday and Wednesday while the next you are asked to work Monday and Friday. This makes it hard to hold down another job.

In return, ETS reserves the right to cancel on scorers at the last minute. While their own policies state that raters must be compensated for half a shift within twenty-four hours, it's not uncommon for officials to literally wait until minutes before the twenty-four hours to cancel the entire shift without compensation.

This is not reliable work. In addition, pay cuts are common and raises in salaries rare to non-existent. Supervisors are smug, nasty, mean and deeply paranoia about losing their own jobs despite making only a dollar or two more than the people they supervise. Minor mistakes in the course of a long shift are turned into an excuse to berate people over the phone and call them inappropriate names. They are supposed to be mentors but they have no training . The emphasis is on being cruel and petty rather than providing useful assistance. Many see scorers as peons beneath contempt rather than coworkers.

Scorers are totally kept in the dark at all times. If the company loses a contract or there is less work, scorers are not informed until the very last minute when they no longer have work for that test that month.

Do not apply here. I am very sorry I choose this path rather than other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Stop treating long term staffers so poorly. Don't hire when you don't have work. Don't reward people at the top when you cut pay for everyone else. It's not fair that workers at the bottom are cruelly punished for mistakes made at the top.

"Disgraceful Company"

Current Employee - TOEIC Speaking Rater
    Current Employee - TOEIC Speaking Rater

I have been working at Educational Testing Service part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

One and only one: work from home.

Cons

The cons that have been stated over and over again in the hundreds of other reviews are true. ETS cancels shifts with total abandon when the shifts are more than 24 hours out, and they have a shady system of 'modifying' a shift when there is less than 24 hours before the start of the shift. If ETS cancels a shift and that shift is less than 24 hours out, then they have to pay their raters for 1/2 of it. So if you were scheduled for an 8 hour shift, they will pay you for 4 hours. If they cancel a shift and that shift is more than 24 hours out, then they don't pay you anything. In the 7+ years I've been a rater, they have only canceled 1 shift with less than 24 hours notice. The number of times they've canceled shifts that are more than 24 hours out are far too many to count. As frequently as they cancel shifts more than 24 hours out, they also 'modify' shifts less than 24 hours out. For example, if you are scheduled for an 8 hour shift and they 'modify' it to be only 4 hours and the start of this shift is only 3 hours away, they only pay you for the 4 hours you worked, even though they really just canceled 4 hours of your shift and should pay you for 1/2 of that, so 2 hours. The pay for the program I score (TOEIC Speaking) has been the same since its inception over 10 years ago: $15/hr, which is currently minimum wage at Amazon. Walmart is now $11/hr, Costco $14/hr, and Target $12/hr. ETS requires at least a bachelor's degree to be a rater, yet they pay us the same wage as an uneducated employee who just started at Amazon and just $1 more than a teenager who just started at Costco. And this is a company that is supposed to embody the value of education? What a disgraceful joke. ETS has us raters exactly were they want us: completely and helplessly isolated and without a means to form camaraderie. I have been a rater for 7+ years and I don't know one other rater. Unfortunately Glassdoor won't allow me to leave an email address in my review for others to contact me; I had hoped this might be a way to connect with fellow raters and band together to explore forming a union or protest.

Advice to Management

Perhaps the biggest and most glaring procedure that needs correcting is how the company handles 'modified' shifts. We all know that 'modify' is just another word for 'cancel'. If a shift gets 'modified' from 8 hours to 4 hours, within 24 hours of the start of said shift, you should pay the rater for 2 hours of those 4 hours that were canceled... oops, I mean 'modified'. Also, increase the pay and give raises, obviously.