Eduventures Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Director of Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Eduventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great location, intelligent and classy people to work with, open minded, lucrative, fun activities after work, exciting field and rewarding job.

Cons

lot of management shift when I worked there made things bit confusing

2. "Lots of problems"

I worked at Eduventures full-time

Pros

Disclaimer: The following reflects how Eduventures was during my tenure. I cannot speak to how it is today especially after its recent acquisition by NRCCUA.

Most of my coworkers were intelligent, talented, and fun to work with. The work/life balance was usually reasonable.

Cons

Many of the senior level managers were completely clueless both as leaders and strategists. It was not uncommon to have a new manager every 3-4 months, as that was how frequently the company reorganized. There was virtually zero professional development. People constantly quit and were usually never replaced. Everyone who remained was just asked to do more with less. There was always a sense that the entire business was on the edge of failure and no one had answers.

3. "VP Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holliston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holliston, MA

I worked at Eduventures (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible job environment. Great staff. Right mind-set. Always looking for new ideas. Passionate business environment.

Cons

Poorly managed, no direction, lack of service focus, no accountability, former CEO lack of involvement.

5. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

I was able to work very closely with my marketing team including my CMO. I was very comfortable with my coworkers and learned a lot from my CMO about the marketing and sales industry. I was treated very well and had the opportunity to work with leading social media and tech platforms. Overall it was an amazing experience!

Cons

Lack of stream lined process.

"Great people. Some great opportunities and some serious problems."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Eduventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with many excellent, smart, nice people who are passionate about what they do. Had some excellent, caring managers. Good camaraderie among employees. Significant amount of autonomy and ability to learn new skills in a frequently-changing company. Some genuinely exciting projects and opportunities as well as room to innovate and create new projects / engagements on the fly. For all it's problems - and there have been many - I consider it a great job that I'm really glad I took. A new CEO promises a brighter future in 2015 than 2013 & 2014 (many negative reviews on here are from 2014, an unquestionably depressing year for the company; fortunately it has deep-pocketed backers that are still willing to invest in a turnaround).

Cons

The main downside of working at Eduventures was the near-constant change and declining revenues which created, at times, an atmosphere of failure, gloom, frustration and, most of all, inconsistency. A new CEO appeared to be on the right track with fixing some of the problems and winning some clients back, but only time will tell if the ship has been righted. Due to low funding & profitability, there was a lack of investment in research and a hope that sales will save everything (which was tried in the past and failed). High turnover due to burnout and in some cases under-appreciation; there was a lot of frustration among the rank-and-file, and some managers do not listen or appreciate the genuinely good ideas of competent subordinates.

Advice to Management

Invest in research, take care of your best employees and get organized. There was still significant inefficiency and some of us felt that upper management was too detached from the rank-and-file. You need to know what's going on within your domains and what's being said at the other end of the office or on the phone to clients. At the time I left, there were still too many decisions that were under-planned and under-funded that lead to the company not being able to fulfill its promises to the market.

"Look elsewhere in the higher education industry."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eduventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Energetic and bustling downtown location. Free cereal if you're in to that sort of thing. Good operational on-boarding process.

Cons

Autocratic rule. Because Eduventures is tiny, the President & CEO is regularly visible to the team in the form of regular town hall meetings. However, what's implied in these communications is that the former leadership team did not know what it was doing -- and by association, neither did the employees. The 'I'm here to save you from yourselves' refrain comes off as insulting and arrogant. At the same time the business has steadily declined over the past two years in the form of analyst attrition, client attrition, and lost revenue. Worth noting that this is a company that plays in the challenging research and advisory space, and is up against large, well-heeled competitors.

Advice to Management

Make the team believe they have worthwhile ideas to help Eduventures succeed. Admitting you don't have all the answers is not a sign of weakness. In fact the opposite is true. Chesty academic rhetoric does not play well in a business setting. Win the hearts of the team, and you'll gain much needed loyalty (not just from the Forrester people).

8. "Young company great for entry-level assoc but no room for growth"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Eduventures full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, work with all types of colleges/universities all across US
    Learn a lot as entry-level associate
    Try really hard to foster great company with office events
    Great office location

Cons

No room for growth - some of the mentoring/"fast-track" programs don't seem fair (nominations and selections process not transparent and inherently flawed)
    Favoritism was blatant among senior leadership
    At the time I was working, it was peak of recession and there were rounds of massive layoffs (and selection/communication was not handled very well)
    Still really young of a company to establish good culture and career paths

Advice to Management

Be open and transparent with employees
    Need to have more structure around development/growth of associates depending on level

"Top shelf talent, great energy, re-focused products/services and strong leadership drives Eduventures today"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eduventures full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The research and consulting talent is simply top-shelf. Across the firm - analysts and associates at all levels show a deep dedication to ensuring their academic and administrative clients make better leadership, development, enrollment, online and operational strategy decisions everyday.

New CEO leadership and senior staff has brought new energy, business-focus, product rejuvenation and welcomed change the growing advisory firm.

The company has a small start-up feel to it. Young and tenured talent mix well when pursuing new clients, digging deep on datasets, separating fact from fiction and giving its clients the best it has.

The vibe, the talent, the clients, and the work Eduventures does is the best I've seen. Truly enjoy coming into work everyday and very happy I joined in 2012. Poised for greater things in 2013.

Cons

The firm is small, fast moving like any other start-up. You can get pulled in many different directions. At times - it's all hands on deck. It's exciting too b/c the reward(s) and satisfaction can be quite nice when new clients and projects are won. Formal training still needs work. On-the-job training is necessary.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep breaking from the past and focusing on the future. Ensure young and tenured talent continue to have new opportunities to grow the business and their professional skill sets.

"effective model for higher ed research consortium"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Eduventures full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a team of smart people all focused on making higher ed institutions more productive. Enough variety across the programs to make sure you stay interested. Plenty of opportunities to learn about the other active projects.

Cons

Satisfying higher ed clients is not easy. With transitions and changing priorities, it can be frustrating having to make assumptions as you interpret the data.

Advice to Management

Retaining a research team is difficult - take good care of them!

"Help colleges and universities achieve their educational missions while furthering professional growth and knowledge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

-Impactful work
    -Mission-driven, entrepreneurial organization
    -Collaborative environment balanced with individual responsibility
    -Smart, talented colleagues
    -Commitment to giving back to the community
    -New experiences and learning opportunities
    -Fun, fast-paced work environment
    -Comprehensive benefits package
    -Flexible work hours and ability to work from home, as necessary

Cons

Since Eduventures is a relatively small company, training is largely "on the job" and less formal than in some other organizations.