Edward Jones Reviews

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward Jones Managing Partner Jim Weddle
Jim Weddle

Pros
Cons
  • Training is strictly on door to door sales (in 84 reviews)

• The door knocking is an excellent way to build business but takes longer than the first three months to turn those prospects into clients (in 98 reviews)

1,304 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Port Townsend, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Port Townsend, WA

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is so much negative press about our profession, about Wall Street greed, about taking advantage of others for personal benefit and I realize that those critics, for the most part, just don't get it. Although I use "Wall Street" to invest my client's money, my office is in a small town in the Pacific NW-- about as far away from "the Street" as one can get. I am devoted to the clients I work with and the community I live in. My work entails becoming a valuable part of someone's life, helping them navigate life's ups and downs and really making a meaningful difference in their pursuit of reaching their financial goals and accomplish their dreams. I do this with great pride and satisfaction. And because I have been doing it for a considerable time, and because I do it well, I am compensated beyond what most people could ever dream of being paid. The fact is, it doesn't start out this way. It has to be built over time. I was given an opportunity, trained and constantly supported by EdwardJones to build something special. Something special for the people in my community that needed and appreciated this kind of help and service. As they realized success, so did both EdwardJones and I. At first, the work is long and hard. I find hard work towards a goal very satisfying. At first, I was significantly underpaid for the time I put in. But I never gave up-- even though I wanted to quite often in those early days. Over time, however, I am certainly overpaid from a time commitment standpoint. But what is the value of being able to retire comfortably, do all the things you want to do before you die and never run out of money even with the rising cost of living? What is that worth? This is what I create for my clients, and as such, from a value added standpoint I am very fairly paid. And, yes, the money is great, but the real satisfaction is knowing the difference you made in someone's life. I love EdwardJones and I love the life it has provided for my clients, for me and my family.

Cons

We are financial advisors. We advise. The firm defines itself as much by what they do as by what they chose not to do. If you want to become a "stock broker", buying and selling, moving in-moving out and trying to hit the hot trends so you and your clients can make fast money you will be very unhappy at EdwardJones. EdwardJones won't let you. Yes, we can and do buy and sell stocks. But not every kind of stock. The clients that want this kind of fast paced experience aren't our ideal clients and you won't be able to serve them they way they want to be served. That can be very frustrating if you are looking for that kind of career.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Excellent sales training, supportive atmosphere, and great benefits with profit sharing

Cons

Over complicated pay structure for first two years of employment needs to be simplified, requires a lot of work and sales each and every day to make it the first three years

Advice to Management

Simply pay structure first three years, make it clear to new hires just how hard this job is as well as how much door knocking and sales are required, do away with bonuses 2nd year and provide full commission year three

"Senior Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Work-life balance, flexible, supportive environment, overall compensation package is comparable to the industry, room for advancement if you perform.

Cons

Leadership is very focused on performance, and its clear in day to day work. Depending on your division, your opportunity for development might not be as big as the firm prides itself for.

5. "Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities are everywhere. The best training in the industry- hands down. You are in control of your own destiny.

Cons

Hardest "easy" job I ever had. Long hours prospecting for contacts, just as long on the phones trying to sell something they don't feel the need to buy.

Advice to Management

Remind the other advisors that we are all on the same team. Set clear expectations for mentor and Regional Leader and let the new FAs know what they are to expect from them.

"FA"

Pros

Great Opportunity to build a business. Work with clients and help a wide range of people

Cons

Assets seem to be awarded based on politics versus merit.

"sr boa"

Current Employee - Senior Branch Office Administrator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Branch Office Administrator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time

Pros

Great company if you get a good FA to work with and a profitable office. My office is profitable but my FA is cheap when it comes to bonuses.

Cons

None other than trying to coordinate time off with the only on call my FA will allow me to use.

Advice to Management

I've given my opinion, but nothing changes.

8. "Great Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Branch Office Administrator in Lawton, OK
    Former Employee - Branch Office Administrator in Lawton, OK

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a family type atmosphere and on-the-job training.

Cons

There are not many opportunities for promotion without changing your job completely and learning a new skill.

Advice to Management

Continue with business model.

"Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Freedom. You set your own hours, your own approach and your own goals on the high end. Good training to get you started on your path.

Cons

Most - if not all - of your clients you have to develop yourself. A career can be made or broken by whether or not you receive an existing office with significant assets.

"Won top 10 place to work in the U.S. multiple years in a row"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY

Pros

You are running your own business. You control everything, from hours you work to how much money you make. Most big name brokerage firms are publicly traded, meaning they sell what's best for their shareholders. Edward Jones is a private firm, and sell what's best for the client.

Cons

Need to have patience to build your own practice. It takes 3-5 years to be profitable from scratch, and some families don't have the luxury of time.

11. "Investment Representative"

Pros

Great support from corporate. Excellent training. Low overhead while enjoying your own private office.

Cons

Micromanaging investment choices and questioning decisions

Showing 1,304 of 1,341 reviews