Edward McKay Used Books Trainee Reviews | Glassdoor

Edward McKay Used Books Trainee Reviews

Updated Sep 8, 2015

1.9
Edward McKay Used Books Owner Phillip Jacobson (no image)
Phillip Jacobson

"Just another stepping stone job."

Former Employee - Trainee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Edward McKay Used Books full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is definitely a lot going on in this place. There's numerous sections of the store that you can be trained into. Always interesting items coming in since most of the inventory comes from customers selling it to them. This also means first dips on merchandise for employees since they see what comes in. The starting pay is above minimum wage, so that's a start. For a full time position, they schedule you for about 35 hours a week and they have what's called 'flex' time where you go in and make up a few more hours to get closer to 40. They give nice little bonuses to employees in the form of store credit or cash at a significantly less amount. Daily huddles are taken every shift for new information and what's going on everywhere in the store.

Cons

This place is not organized as well as it could be. I understand that you've got to work with the space that you have but I would have customers saying that they looked all over for some things and couldn't find it. The new system on the computers they had installed (basil) is terrible. It is used for the buy counter and the cash registers and I had trouble with it all the time. There were times when the drawer wouldn't even open for a few minutes while I was trying to ring up a customer and the only thing I could do is wait, look like an idiot, and hope that the register would magically open up soon.

Continue reading
    Edward McKay Used Books2015-01-03

"Ed Mckays has awful management"

Former Employee - Trainee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Edward McKay Used Books part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are mostly nice people, and you earn trade credit every pay period. If this store had completely different management, it would not be a bad place to work.

Cons

I am going to start this by saying that rating them with even one star feels like too much. Ed Mckays has some of the worst management I have ever witnessed. As a cashier, you are expected to learn a 3" thick binder full of policies. They give you a new section to read every week. Most of the policies are standard things, but it is a whole lot to learn. Also, if you get written up three times, you are terminated. They are very quick to write you up and will not hesitate to do so, regardless of if you are being written up for something you were untrained on. The training here is really minimal. After about a week, you basically have to grab a manager to help you out every time something you have never dealt with occurs. I personally feel like I was not trained very well. Favoritism/nepotism is a huge issue in the store. During my short stay at this store, I definitely saw certain employees get away with screwing things up, because they are favorites of managers.

Continue reading
    Edward McKay Used Books2015-09-08

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 2 reviews