Effective International English Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 4, 2017

3.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Institute in Taiwan"

Former Employee - Instructor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at Effective International English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Top company with wonderful clients in Taiwan
    - Very supportive staff whenever you have questions or troubles
    - Challenging atmosphere that will help you develop your skills as an Instructor

Cons

- Very little "team feeling" with other instructors unless at a workshop or seminar
    - A steep learning curve to begin with (but it gets better over time)

2. "Fun and exciting clients!"

Pros

The clients that you will be working for are some of the best and brightest in Taiwan. The longer workshops and seminars are top notch. Friendly staff and coworkers in a centrally located office.

Cons

Lots of unpaid work, travel time, and unnecessary meetings that start late and run over time. An ever changing schedule that might not fit some peoples routines. No team spirit. You will have very infrequent contact with other coworkers. (might be a benefit for some)

Advice to Management

Be more honest with instructors about the behind the scenes problems. Western employees typically prefer a straight answer to a face-saving run around.

3. "Fun and Exciting Place to Work"

I have been working at Effective International English full-time

Pros

Fantastic students, friendly and supportive office staff, lots of teaching hours, large variety of class type and content, freedom to design and teach your classes how you think is best

Cons

Can get busy at times, rarely see coworkers

Advice to Management

try to adopt a more transparent management style to encourage team communication

4. "Meeting the standards of international clientele"

I have been working at Effective International English full-time

Pros

Many of the previous reviews mention that Effective International English has “fantastic” clients. The clients that I have now and have taught previously are topnotch. One reviewer paints a picture that management is “completely incompetent”. I don’t know whether to laugh at this because I’ve known many foreign instructors who think that they are “professional” and the best teachers out there, but really are not very commercially-minded. Do they really understand Taiwanese culture and successfully working in Taiwan? (and no, I don’t mean a few private students here or there). From my experience, Effective International English has the best clients because their staff work so hard to maintain relations and provide training courses for these clients. The director is also always willing to share insight into culture and teaching techniques - a very friendly guy who seems to really care about the foreign instructors and helping them to assimilate to their new working environment. He takes time to meet with each instructor and share meals, etc. Let’s be realistic – if a company was really in such dire straits, with no able staff and clueless management, would they be at all able to retain the client list that we have the privilege to teach (and yes, “privilege” – anyone who has been through the buxiban circuit will know what I mean).

One of the earlier reviews talks about “horrible materials created by staff who are neither teachers nor native-English speakers”. I take offence! Last time I checked I was definitely a native English speaker and also a teacher. I’ve been involved in material creation with my company and know of many other colleagues who are also involved with different projects and material development. If the previous reviewers have worked at Effective International English before they should know that. The materials are great (whether written by myself or other colleagues ;)) Really – much more practical than what I’ve been presented with before.

The clients that I have been in contact with give good feedback in regards to management, materials and teaching methodology. In fact, they continuously renew with the company and also refer other clients. If these are the results to be seen from a company with “incompetent” management, I’m sure that this description of “incompetence” should be seen as praise.

As to not respecting foreign instructors, from my personal experience, I’m proud to be part of a company that has such a good name and receives such positive feedback from clients. There’s not a lot of teaching work out there like it and I’m happy where I am. Who doesn’t want to be part of a company where business is good? The company doesn’t have high turnover, but it’s true that they are looking for new instructors because there are lots of new clients and old hands like myself are already packed. If the person that these stories are coming from really works at Effective International English I would share some words of advice “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you”. I’ve known of people who have worked at a school for many years and earned a lot of money and experience with them, but to others they complain. I’ve seen it happen myself, but I always think, if it’s truly as you describe it then why were you there for so many years?

Cons

Management should take a stricter stance on people spreading nonsense on the internet. There are others who are jealous of the good clients that we get at Effective International English and want to take down the fantastic reputation that has been built up in the eyes of clients. Those false rumors are just that - baseless rumors.

5. "Having a great time in Taipei"

Current Employee - English Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)

I have been working at Effective International English full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been teaching in Taiwan for just under a year and have been experiencing a really good time. I decided to come as I have a couple of friends who have been here for a few years and wanted to experience another culture.

Read a few of the previous reviews for my school and wanted to add my review as they seem really negative but I've honestly had a great time with EIE. Definitely no visa or documentation issues for me. They told me clearly during my first interview with them that they would provide a work permit and ARC if I got the job. I had my work permit within three weeks and was working immediately. One of my friends teaches adult English too (some business, some general) and he has problems getting enough hours and balances jobs but I've been really happy with my hours. As mentioned in other reviews, the clients are great!

I had some teething problems in the classroom as my previous experience wasn't too extensive and not business teaching based. The staff provided a lot of support and over half a year in I feel a lot more confident in the classroom and I know I've improved a lot.

Recently started teaching some of their workshops and seminars - great fun!

Cons

Working in the evenings. Not the 9-5 I'm used to back at home, but I'm told that business classes are really popular in the evenings.

Initially, working with business clients, I was quite nervous in the classroom.

Advice to Management

Keep finding us our clients! I like the diversity in the companies I get to work with and being able to use some of my business acumen in classes.

6. "Best teaching job I've had in Taiwan"

Current Employee - English Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)

I have been working at Effective International English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours (especially compared to my last school)
    Good pay (Also pleasantly surprised to have different bonuses for performance/projects)
    Provides work permit, ARC sponsorship and NHI
    Colleagues (full team here with different departments dealing with sales, education, customer service etc. - in previous schools I was given the curriculum and had to get on with it myself)
    Diverse and interesting clients (personally, I’m definitely enjoying the fact that at eie all my clients are business professionals – great challenge and I really like all my classes)

Cons

I had to learn the ropes (more professional business teaching), but with a little graft it’s really worth it – my class range has been developing and I’m getting different types of clients
    Have to be aware of the business side of things, and Taiwan business culture – I’m finding out how different some things are in Taiwan compared to at home
    Seen some comments talk about meetings and things – there are meetings and also training/orientation type things when I first started, but personally, I found these very useful. Staff give you the lowdown for clients, and teaching tips, materials, writing course plans etc.

Advice to Management

More group training sessions (enjoyed these, great hearing from peers)

"Pretending to be "professional""

Current Contractor - Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Current Contractor - Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)

I have been working at Effective International English as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, fantastic clients, some coworkers are pretty on the ball, they're very good at sales and get great contracts so you'll teach the best people in various industries, if they like or value you, they are very flexible with your schedule and you can have a good work-life balance.

Cons

Unprofessional office staff, ineffective director, meetings on inappropriate non-work related topics, transportation fees paid to teachers are less than what is paid by clients for said transportation, a lot of lying, inability to do the simplest things in a timely and professional manner, constant mistakes: calling teachers while they're in class, giving teachers conflicting schedules and telling them to "sort it out" with students, forgetting to notify teachers of postponed/cancelled classes, trying to then not pay the full amount for those classes, keeping teachers divided and using that to take advantage of them, terrible feedback from office staff who are not teachers, horrible materials created by staff who are neither teachers nor native English speakers. Teachers who are not valued have either too many classes (no balance) or too few (not enough money). No paid holidays, few to no bonuses (certainly no regular ones), they even screw up visa and immigration paperwork.

Advice to Management

Honestly? Just close. There's really nothing the director can do to make it better.

"The most dehumanizing and demotivating two years of my working life."

Former Employee - Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Instructor in Taipei (Taiwan)

Pros

Great clients and wonderful experiences both teaching and learning from the students.
    Good opportunities for networking.
    Pay is always on time.

Cons

Absolute lack of individual respect for teachers and staff.
    Stressful working environment because of inefficient and incompetent management.
    Low hourly rate requires a heavy workload to pay off.
    The cost of travel and time to clients is much higher than the allowance provided.
    Inexperienced non-teaching staff always trying to tell teachers how to teach classes.

Advice to Management

1) Start providing genuine respect and consideration to teachers, rather than treating them like money making machines - Teachers would be happier and in turn the clients would be happier.
    2) Get your act together in the admin side of things!

"The clients are great, management is not."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Taipei (Taiwan)

Pros

The company's clients are some of the most high profile in the country, but the company's management is awful. They burn through teachers because they don't really care about them.

Cons

Many companies take a long time to commute to. It takes a while to build up enough hours to make a decent living.

Advice to Management

Put the teachers first instead of the clients. Provide more support and hire some non-Taiwanese employees to the management structure.