Egnyte Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Egnyte CEO Vineet Jain
Vineet Jain

Pros
  • s a principled group of people who not only lead by example but will take care of its people by going out of the way (in 4 reviews)

• Great place to work with opportunity to advance from within (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Both Sales and Marketing departments have a short life cycle (in 4 reviews)

• High turnover rate in marketing and sales (in 5 reviews)

1. "Rare opportunity"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Egnyte full-time

Pros

My time at Egnyte proved to be invaluable as a sales professional. With such an applicable product that is marketable to all types of businesses, it is a massive opportunity to compete, learn and grow as an individual in a startup environment. If you are hungry and want to build real skills, imagine a product with actual technological differentiation paired with proven household-name customers but in a market competing with the likes of Google, Microsoft, Citrix, Box and Dropbox and then imagine succeeding. It takes a village but the long-time individuals in sales, support, product, management are all there to support with a common goal. This is no longer a transactional sale but a multi-level, CIO decision to be deployed across an enterprise. I highly recommend this company to those up for the challenge/opportunity and you will thank yourself later.

Cons

There is a 5-word minimum.

"Best place that I have worked at"

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best product in File Sharing space and now we have a new product area related to content governance. Engineering and Products is perhaps the best in our industry. Culturally, I really appreciate the level of openness, willingness to make you successful and hard work ethic. All the way from our CEO , our CMO, people in Support and others will do anything for the success of the company. In my opinion, this is a company where you can define and chart your careet without any big company constraints and hierarchy. Love this place!

Cons

We can move as fast as the weakest link in the chain and it used to be a top heavy marketing organization but that is now changing and getting more nimbler. Our HR needs to have more maturity and depth for a company of our size.

Advice to Management

Hire the best talent even if you have to make room for them by letting go of the bottom performers. Don’t hold on them for too long.

3. "SDR"

I have been working at Egnyte full-time

Pros

Great teammates and product. Room to promote.

Cons

Startup changes such as territory changes constantly and rep changes. However, it is due to standardizing the sales discipline that was lacking before

5. "Smart product"

Current Employee - Full Time in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart product, smart people, great leadership. CEO is a brilliant guy and very passionate especially when it comes to people and the company, and has done excellent job taking this company to the next level. Kudos to the CMO who put us in Gartner’s leader MQ.

Cons

Too much drama and politics for a company this size. Human resource also needs a major change, i.e. A leader and a true hr manager, who has integrity at work and brings much needed experience and critical hr skills as the company scale. One with the right attitude, work smarter, and always go the extra mile to do the right thing.

Advice to Management

Egnyte has the opportunity to scale and be the best technology in this space, so hire the right people early on is very, very important esp. sales and hr leaders.

"Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Egnyte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Egnyte offers competitive compensation and benefits packages. Most of the people are hard working and easy to get along with. You'll find that the culture within the work force is very team oriented and they do their best to overcome obstacles.

Cons

Some of the executives promote and establish an environment that includes aggressive behavior, public humiliation and colorful profanity. You may appreciate their direct approach but often times you feel like you are being bullied. You rarely hear from them unless they feel you've done something wrong and you are never rewarded or acknowledged for your achievements. They tend to not value the employees that keep their business growing so that affects employee morale and implements a high turn-over rate. During meetings, it's not unusual to be cut off mid-sentence and interrupted with thoughts that are felt to be more important than what you are conveying. Because of an overall lack of manners and courtesy for others, the surroundings can be hostile and your job security feels unstable.

Advice to Management

Create an environment that is professional and stop allowing corporate bullying.

"Crazy Town"

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Snacks, kitchen, some good smart people (wasting their time)

Cons

No leadership
    Petty CEO
    Loyalty is valued more than performance or honesty
    Politics
    no Integrity

Advice to Management

Advice to the board - get rid of the CEO and CFO. No integrity. zero people skills and are definitely not leaders

"Low Frills, Solid Execution Company"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is one big reason why I have been here for more than 3 years. The founders stuck to their guns and have built a solid company despite not a huge amount of funding. While every company has its challenges and all kind of persionalities on the leader board, our CEO Vineet, Rajesh who is our Chief Customer Officer, Charles in Sales are some of the best people anyone can work it. There is no back room politics and while some people may find the soft touch missing in management, it’s a principled group of people who not only lead by example but will take care of its people by going out of the way.

Our product is fantastic and runs circles around the competition and you can see the kudos we are getting from the analyst and press communities. Customers love the product. Low churn is a great indicator of that.

Cons

We tolerate bad leadership longer than most which is a big mistake. For example our UK office leader should have long fired but is still there. Our marketing leadership needs to step up big time and start servicing their customer, sales more than what they have done.

Advice to Management

Be strong in dealing with bad apples and make changes faster even if that means admitting to mistakes. Also, hire for talent and not always for experience.

Nov 22, 2016 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for your constructive feedback. We will continue to build the organization to reflect our mission, values and the voice of all employees.

"Getting There One Day at a Time"

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing place to work staffed with a group of people that is as diverse as you can get. I have never worked with a smarter group of people who are mostly all pulling in the same direction. The product is the best on the market and the great news is the market is finally taking notice of this. Management is uniquely well acquainted with the product, which is something you only get with a company whose original founders are still running things

The office is a great place with all the typical Silicon Valley perks - open environment, amazing kitchen and a very social atmosphere happening within and between all the departments in the organization.

Management is approachable and genuinely concerned with what is happening both front and center as well as in the background. In fact, I think sometimes they take too much to heart and quite often do not act as soon as they should with certain "problem children" in an effort to give them one more chance at success.

Cons

Just like anyplace else, there are great days and some not so great days. As an "up and coming" company, all the facets of the jewel are not as polished as they would be in a more established organization, but this should be considered part of the charm as it is one of the warts.

Late stage start-up on the edge of profitability, you have to take the good with the bad but I do feel the former greatly outweighs the latter.

A lot of other reviews complain about the turnover in some of the management roles, but I don't see it as being any higher than any other company in a similar stage in its development, which can only be described as a "work in progress".

Advice to Management

Stay the course and ignore the whining from the departed. If someone becomes a problem, do the difficult thing sooner rather than later. Someone who is not a fit is better off working someplace else where they will fit.

It may hurt, but it is a long overdue chore to clean out marketing.

Nov 22, 2016 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Fantastic opportunity to deliver on your job and grow with the company
    - Very open culture and friendly environment
    - Flexible working time

Cons

- Company is under constant pressure to deliver, given the market conditions
    - Have to fight the battle against competitors having very deep pocket

Advice to Management

Continue current path and carve your place; You are on to something really big in a couple of years

Nov 22, 2016 – Head of Human Resources

Awesome! Thank you for taking time to post your experience.

"Sales and Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing/Sales in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing/Sales in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You see a real passion for everyone trying to succeed. It's easy to approach colleagues and direct managers with questions.

Cons

Way too much churn. On a monthly basis, employees are being let go. Even sr. managers and executives are coming and going way too much. The mood in the office is way too somber because no one knows the end strategy. I didn't join this company for the snacks or the ping pong table. I joined because there was real hope of cashing in with an IPO. However, the market has completely changed and there is no way we're going public any time soon.Any one that wants to join here should really think twice since you're more likely to be let go than stay here for several years.

Advice to Management

There's a saying, "Fish rots from the head down." What this means is that the entire culture is reflective of the mood of the CEO. Our CEO is bright and thinks he knows everything. But he's definitely not a people person. Outside of 4-5 executives, everyone else is expendable. Stop promising a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just not going to happen.

Nov 22, 2016 – Head of Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to express your feedback. All feedback is important when continuous improvement is the goal. Our CEO genuinely has an open door policy and is open to constructive feedback ... More