Egnyte Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Egnyte CEO Vineet Jain
Vineet Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • ve got a great product and I believe the company is poised to be very successful (in 7 reviews)

• s a principled group of people who not only lead by example but will take care of its people by going out of the way (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Both Sales and Marketing departments have a short life cycle (in 7 reviews)

• High turnover rate in marketing and sales (in 5 reviews)

1. "Rugged Product, amazing Founders"

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best thing about the company - a great product!
    Best assets this company has - Rajesh Ram and Vineet Jain
    We keep grinding past all kind of growth challenges even though management is frugal

Cons

No HR for a company our size
    Finance can be very painful to work with

Advice to Management

Invest in human resources and treat with same importance as other departments

2. "Love the company and the people"

I have been working at Egnyte full-time

Pros

I have worked here for several years and seen all kinds of ups and downs. Our company keeps progressing and getting bigger because we have the best product, and a very open culture. All the way from the CEO to the CFO to almost every management leader, there is encouragement and support to try new things.

There are lots of people in our sales team at leadership level who have been with the founders for more than six years which is good indication of how much they like it here.

Cons

We need to focus more on training my team members on a regular basis and also reduce the monthly pressure that we feel every month.

Advice to Management

With so much expansion on sales, invest in a world class HR since this is weak.

3. "Exciting time to be a part of this great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is seeking progress for the common goal of going public. Meaning, change and progress actually happen. I've been at many companies where you talk about change, but they don't have the power or motivation to do it. Here, it happens which is so exciting. Every month or few months, there have been decisions to improve processes and I have seen action taken. That's remarkable for any non startup.
    - Founders are passionate, personable, know employees' names, and truly think of customers first, which is nice to be a part of.
    - Strong growth in a smart, calculated way so you're able to have some skin in the game.
    - Awesome product!

Cons

- Some departments still work in silos but this is constantly improving.

Advice to Management

Don't stop encouraging creativity. Be courageous in taking action on big ideas. We continue to get better because we keep pushing the envelope. Be willing to spend a bit more freely to get results and retain the talent that is getting us to this high level of achievement.

"Too bad, so sad"

I worked at Egnyte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Any Pros are drowded out by the Cons. Recruiting and HR consistently told to add glowing reviews on Glassdoor.

Cons

-Don't value employees
    -Totally dysfunctional executive team - petty, sexist CEO; compromised CFO
    - No job security - one day you're in and the next you're out

Advice to Management

Management needs a complete overhaul - unfortunately the worst offender is the major shareholder. So, only the board can act.

"Great Product, Bad Management"

I worked at Egnyte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many compared to the majority of startups. I do think the product is one of the best on the market and believe they have a competitive advantage.

Cons

The culture as a whole is dreary, and stressful for employees. I didn't feel valued at all, and the focus is only on the negative. There is constant turnover (management included) and even more than I know as everything is done in a hushed manner. Salary is well below average. The bottom line is always cost and that's more than evident in every decision made. The few perks there are, aren't worth it. The executive team will undermine management, and micromanage.

Advice to Management

Investing in your employees well being can go a long way and make them want to work towards your vision, but putting no trust or empowerment in your employees will make even the best talent leave.

"Cheap, Dysfunctional, Poor leadership, Boring"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Egnyte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great product
    -Free Lunch twice a week
    -"Open door" policy with leadership

Cons

-Majorly lacking internal efficiency when it comes to getting deals approved/contracts signed. It was harder to get internal approval than it was to get a signature from the would be customer.

-Opened a SF office to attract city talent, only to close the office a few months later because all of the Sales people who worked there left the company.

-Horrible onboarding practices (They didn't really exist), it was more of a "figure it out yourself" environment.

-No alignment between marketing and sales teams.

-No sense of culture and community other than awkward BBQ happy hours once a qtr.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about things employees should know- (Quotas, Job Security, Product enhancements, etc)

7. "Fun and exciting place to work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Egnyte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-I truly believe you are only as good as the management and individual contributors beside you in any sales organization. I can say that the people leading and working next to you in the trenches at Egnyte are A+
    -The product you will be selling here is by far the best in the EFSS space!
    -Egnyte is beating some of the big boys (Box, Dropbox) in the EFSS space head to head.

Cons

-If you live in San Francisco, it's a bit of a Trek but they were accommodating enough to let me work from home when I needed. Don't know if that is the case for everyone. Unfortunately in my case needing a workplace closer to home was the defining factor in my departure.

"Rare opportunity"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Egnyte full-time

Pros

My time at Egnyte proved to be invaluable as a sales professional. With such an applicable product that is marketable to all types of businesses, it is a massive opportunity to compete, learn and grow as an individual in a startup environment. If you are hungry and want to build real skills, imagine a product with actual technological differentiation paired with proven household-name customers but in a market competing with the likes of Google, Microsoft, Citrix, Box and Dropbox and then imagine succeeding. It takes a village but the long-time individuals in sales, support, product, management are all there to support with a common goal. This is no longer a transactional sale but a multi-level, CIO decision to be deployed across an enterprise. I highly recommend this company to those up for the challenge/opportunity and you will thank yourself later.

Cons

There is a 5-word minimum.

"Best place that I have worked at"

Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best product in File Sharing space and now we have a new product area related to content governance. Engineering and Products is perhaps the best in our industry. Culturally, I really appreciate the level of openness, willingness to make you successful and hard work ethic. All the way from our CEO , our CMO, people in Support and others will do anything for the success of the company. In my opinion, this is a company where you can define and chart your careet without any big company constraints and hierarchy. Love this place!

Cons

We can move as fast as the weakest link in the chain and it used to be a top heavy marketing organization but that is now changing and getting more nimbler. Our HR needs to have more maturity and depth for a company of our size.

Advice to Management

Hire the best talent even if you have to make room for them by letting go of the bottom performers. Don’t hold on them for too long.

"Smart product"

Current Employee - Full Time in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Full Time in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Egnyte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart product, smart people, great leadership. CEO is a brilliant guy and very passionate especially when it comes to people and the company, and has done excellent job taking this company to the next level. Kudos to the CMO who put us in Gartner’s leader MQ.

Cons

Too much drama and politics for a company this size. Human resource also needs a major change, i.e. A leader and a true hr manager, who has integrity at work and brings much needed experience and critical hr skills as the company scale. One with the right attitude, work smarter, and always go the extra mile to do the right thing.

Advice to Management

Egnyte has the opportunity to scale and be the best technology in this space, so hire the right people early on is very, very important esp. sales and hr leaders.