Eileen Fisher Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Eileen Fisher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is no work/life balance here, but the manager will tell you that you are lucky they even give you two days off in a row (in 6 reviews)

• No advancement potential unless in New York, and not for older workers (in 3 reviews)

"Nice but chaotic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvington, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvington, NY

I have been working at Eileen Fisher full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with.

Cons

Disorganized structurally. A lot of upper management who are very disconnected from everyone else. Hard to get work done in an open plan office.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people doing the work.

"Customer service / personal shopper"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Remote, OR

I worked at Eileen Fisher full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are the best the women that run CS are so capable. These women go above and beyond! Eileen is so good to employees but after 15 years I couldn't do it anymore

Cons

The two leaders at the top are incompetent and controlling and don't want anyone to express an opinion they prefer step ford wives who drink the cool aide
    The systems are so out dated and frankly never work! They need to fix the website!

Advice to Management

No one listens I expressed my opinions to Human Resources as did 3 others that left and nothing changes

"Not what it appears to be!"

Former Employee - Lower Management in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lower Management in New York, NY

I worked at Eileen Fisher full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, benefits and time out.

Cons

Horrible leadership in the middle and at the top.

Advice to Management

Get out or retire and let the new leadership start over without the craziness.

"Culture of Sameness"

Current Employee - Administrative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative in New York, NY

I have been working at Eileen Fisher full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

clothing allowance is a great perk as the clothes are really what is special about the company. if you pay for the higher level of health insurance you have no worries if anything ever happens. some really truly special and amazing people work here.

Cons

complete lack of advancement or growth paths. you need to either be in the "club" and part of a click that knows how to advance and advocate for each other or you are out in the cold. talent and passion are not rewarded. its like the junior high mafia- you need to be fight to be seen all the time, the minute you stop or have a different opinion. you are out. they think the benefits are good...maybe 15 years ago. not progressive anymore. need to keep up with times. HR is not here for the employees.

Advice to Management

if you can't promote from within and need to constantly pay for consultants and hire from without for senior positions that should tell you something about how you lead and "grow people for good". you probably don't.

"Terrible place to work....."

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Irvington, NY
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Irvington, NY

I have been working at Eileen Fisher full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ok clothes and accessories and a few, very few, nice people ... can't think of much more to say about this awful company... beware of the back stabbing individuals

Cons

Upper management does nothing but have meeting after meeting and webinars which accomplish nothing and travel to stores... they doesn't have a clue about what real work is all about... very clicky and fake people... health benefits way too expensive compared to other companies...Eileen does not care to do anything to change the situation... fake people..... no advancement opportunities... HR does nothing to support employees...

Advice to Management

CEO needs to get rid of ALL upper management people who only care about themselves and doing as little as possible with their time....

"Sooo Much Potential—Stop the Spinning"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Eileen Fisher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Wonderful coworkers in corporate, retail, and wholesale
    -Beautiful, timeless product made of the most stunning fabrics
    -Health and education allowances ($1K each)
    -Have to go back to the colleagues-humane, caring, hardworking, dedicated
    -Great initiatives in sustainability/environment, girls/women empowerment

Cons

-It takes forever to get promoted, and it's not necessarily based on skill set
    -If someone leaves and there's an open position, don't expect to get bumped up at any point. You'll be doing their job without a promotion or raise long after proving yourself.
    -There's this strange trend of temping that can last well over a year. If a person hasn't proven him/herself in 3 months, are they worth keeping on? Why drag it out? It's insulting to the person and their.
    -HR doesn't seem to advocate for employees at all. I really hope they read these Glassdoor reviews. They're not allies, unfortunately. I hope that changes.
    -There are a ridiculous amount of overpaid consultants that offer zero value to the company.
    -The pay is far from competitive based on NYC standards

Advice to Management

While I'm no longer there, I care deeply for the company, the employees, and the loyal customers. I want to see it succeed and I know there's a strong possibility of this happening with the right people in place. Frankly, a lot of folks need to retire or find new opportunities elsewhere—and I don't mean by keeping them on as an advisor or some emeritus role. Give them a nice package and send them on their way. They're holding the company back, creating unnecessary spinning, which leads to diminishing morale.

There's constant talk of collaboration, but it's one of the most bureaucratic, hierarchical places I've ever worked at. And if a core value is female empowerment, please trust your mostly female work staff to do what they've been hired to do. Not everyone needs to chime in from the top down. The smallest tasks take far too much time.

Also, I'm not sure why there's a high rating for a CEO, there hasn't been one for years. Leadership is very top with two people in the same position in several instances. I think the intention was "collaboration" but it's lead to an insane amount of spinning and projects being held up.

Again, loads of great potential to be a true game changer in fashion, especially on the sustainability front, but a lot needs to change first.

7. "Good Interview Experience"

I have been working at Eileen Fisher full-time

Pros

Interview process started with a group interview- interviewers asked questions about what candidates liked about Eileen Fisher, relationships with customers etc. Collaborative environment, prompt responses, and friendly interviewers made this experience easy and enjoyable.

Cons

Group interviews can be difficult to navigate- some people talk a lot and don't leave room for others. But the interviewers are experienced enough to give everyone the opportunity to speak.

"different corporate environment in manufacturing than upstairs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvington, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvington, NY

I worked at Eileen Fisher full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

love the product, they try very hard to be socially conscious, fantastic location if you live in Westchester...I really wanted to love it here.

Cons

This was by far the worst place I ever worked. I was treated very poorly by a woman who ran the manufacturing department but thankfully is no longer there. HR did not enforce the culture in the manufacturing department.

Advice to Management

You did the right thing letting her go...but way too late for many mistreated employees.

"Management needs managing"

Current Employee - Retail
    Current Employee - Retail

I have been working at Eileen Fisher full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clothing allowance and great benefits package. Good pay for retail.

Cons

Store managers take their team members for granted. The company likes to refer to management as leaders, but they dont lead. Instead, they sit at their desks all day and and bark orders because they think they are too important to work the sales floor. They hold everyone to different standards. Be careful if you offer a suggestion or ask them a question. It might land you on their bad side and then you'll get the silent treatment/ stare-down every time you work together. There is always a reason for them to be stressed out and take it out on the team. There is no work/life balance here, but the manager will tell you that you are lucky they even give you two days off in a row. Wow, thanks boss!

Advice to Management

Store managers need to stop being so self important. Don't take your team for granted​. Employees are quitting left and right! Open your eyes. Bad managers are usually the reason behind good workers leaving the company.

"Great place to work, but no opportunity for growth."

Pros

This is a good company to be at for a while. Excellent benefits. Good opportunity to learn for a while.

Cons

There is zero chance of moving from retail to corporate, no matter how smart, educated and talented you are. Zero. It is very difficult to advance even on the retail level. It is a very exclusive environment. If you don't fit the mold, you will not be invited into the club. It's a bit like a caste system. Corporate employees are very self-important. Some are great and some, well don't bother.
    Retail pay is better than other retail. Corporate employees at Eileen fisher get paid well.

Advice to Management

Notice the house talent. Promote the employees who are smart, work hard, love the company and are devoted to the brand. There are so many.