Cover image for Elara Caring

Elara Caring

Engaged Employer

Elara Caring

Add a Review

Elara Caring Employee Reviews about "great lakes caring"

Updated Jun 8, 2020

Found 11 of over 477 reviews

3.4
Elara Caring CEO Scott Powers (no image)
Scott Powers

The latest conversations about Healthcare

Join the conversation on

Healthcare

3h

an

Adjunct Faculty Member

So I’ve been thinking about a career change to nursing . I am a former surgical technician that moved up the healthcare ranks and received a PhD in public health -epidemiology. I’ve been thinking about transitioning into nursing to obtain a BSN and possibly a MSN. I hang up has been that my science courses are more than 7 years old and I do not want to retake them. Anyone know of any schools that do not require the sciences courses to be within the last 5-7 years?

3 Comments

Healthcare

126.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/medicine-2/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Elara Caring~2205780
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Elara Caring? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Elara Caring employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Pay is good but that’s because they can’t keep help.(in 21 reviews)
  • "Income was okay, flexible scheduling was good, and patient care opportunity great, insurance was just ok though very expensive for families(in 15 reviews)
  • "Quick training process and friendly staff(in 12 reviews)
  • "Great coworkers(in 11 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and health insurance(in 10 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Elara Caring and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "great lakes caring"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Horrible

Jun 8, 2020 - PTA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I struggle to think of any right now, So Sad

Cons

The absolutely worst thing was Great Lakes Caring being sold to Elara. Not even close to being a quality company. Our patients are suffering and our employees are screwed with management's (from the top and down) lack of compassion

2 people found this review helpful

Digital/E-Marketing Manager

I am very sorry to hear this, though we appreciate the feedback. I have forwarded your comments to HR for review. If you have any additional information you can provide that would help us look into this, please forward it to info@elara.com.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Merger decimated a great company.

Jul 8, 2019 - Registered Nurse in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Lakes Caring WAS an amazing company with values. They truly cared for all employees. THEN it was merged to become Elara Caring. Elara has no regard for employees and facilitate a toxic work environment. Pro: Management at local level was great and employees in field truly cared about patients.

Cons

Toxic workplace New CEO informed employees they were easily replaced. No raises this year. Good employees leaving in droves. No communication from upper management.

12 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Elara Caring RUINED Great Lakes Caring

May 3, 2019 - Field Staff
    Business Outlook

Pros

The field staff truly care about our patients.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Elara Caring took over Great Lakes and is ruining this once great company. Since taking over, Elara has taken away all PTO for part times employees, increased health insurance rates significantly, didn’t pay normal holiday bonus, no contribution to 401k. Most recently, no sign of merit raises we were supposed to receive in March and no communication regarding them. No response from Human Resources regarding new Michigan law for sick time for part time employees and none given to part time employees despite law being in effect in April. No help from office staff when out in the field.

16 people found this review helpful

Digital/E-Marketing Manager

Thanks for your review. Our leadership team takes all feedback on Glassdoor seriously, and your comments have been forwarded to them. I'm sorry to hear about your experience during this transition period, but patient care and employee satisfaction do remain top priority for Elara Caring. If there's anything additional you'd like to share, please reach out to your HR representative.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

A company that takes care of employees!

Sep 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Lakes Caring is a company that takes care of its employees and works hard to ensure employees have the tools they need to succeed.

Cons

There has been a lot of recent growth and changes recently and this has created a lot of uncertainty.

2 people found this review helpful

Thanks for your review!

5. 1.0

Horrible company

Apr 14, 2019 - Social Worker in Kokomo, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

None that I have experienced

Cons

Since Great Lakes Caring was taken merged into Elara Caring everything has turned to crap! Insurance Benefits are outrageously expensive, mileage reimbursement is pathetic, PTO time is terrible and everything takes longer to accomplish. They came in and cut tons of staff, just called them in and let them go with no notice. Their electronic medical record was forced on us and it takes longer to complete. They are constantly on your back about productivity with no regard to your enormous territory and drive time. Then they force you to drive hours to cover other branches because they are constantly firing people without a proper investigation....people that have worked there for years with no complaints about them. Management plays favorites and always has at least one employee that is their whipping boy that they constantly pick at. Human resources is a joke since most of them have no education in the human resource field. If your a nurse you can get away with anything but other disciplines better watch out! My advice is don’t even waste your time with this company because it’s nothing but stress. No work life balance because all you will do is work and fall into bed at night.

15 people found this review helpful

Digital/E-Marketing Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback, though I'm sorry to hear this is your experience. Our management team takes these reviews very seriously, and I have forwarded yours to them. We are in a transition period right now and undergoing changes; however, quality patient care and employee satisfaction remain priorities to our organization. If there is anything you'd like to discuss further, please reach out to Carrie, VP of Human Resources, directly at 517.768.7413.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

AMAZING COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!

Mar 18, 2019 - Clinical Manager in Toledo, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for Great Lakes Caring for 4 years and could not imagine working anywhere else. There have been many changes within the Company but we have remained strong and a very close knit Team. There is so much room for growth and advancement within this Company, as I started out as a RN Case Manager and was able to advance to Clinical Manager. My management Team is amazing and always available to me when needed and support me in all decisions that I make.

Cons

I cannot think of any Cons at this time.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Digital/E-Marketing Manager

Thanks for your review! I'm so happy to hear you've found your "work home" with us!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

PCC

May 23, 2018 - PCC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Family environment at this organization, and Corporate truly cares about ALL employees.

Cons

I cannot think of a downside to working at Great Lakes Caring

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

My home away from home <3

May 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Jackson, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for Great Lakes Caring almost 3 years now. I find myself really enjoying many aspects of not only my job, but the people that I interact with on a daily basis. From my teams in the office, to the patients I speak with, there is a very welcoming tone that radiates across the board. With all of us (employees) spending so much time together during the work week, it is extremely important to me that we have healthy work relationships. This has become the best work family I could've asked for! I would love to continue to grow with the company and I look forward to the growth that is coming our way. I am very proud to call myself a GLC employee!!!

Cons

None worth noting at this time.

1 person found this review helpful

Digital/E-Marketing Manager

Thanks so much for your review! Glad to hear you're so happy at Great Lakes Caring!

9. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Stopped paying staff

Feb 1, 2019 - Registered Nurse in Howell, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

There isn’t any. This place is a joke that takes advantage of it’s hard working staff. Stay away! You have been warned..

Cons

This company purchased Great Lakes Caring in 2018. Since then I have had countless co-workers get fired due to “budget cuts.” Today was supposed to be our regular pay day and unfortunately they can’t pay us anymore as well. I have stayed hoping that things would improve after the merger but sadly that hasn’t been the case. My PTO was cut, my health insurance DOUBLED with less coverage and today they didn’t even pay us. The worst part of that is they won’t even tell us why or give us an answer on when we will be paid. I can’t believe I have stayed this long, shame on me for trusting this once great organization.

41 people found this review helpful

Digital/E-Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review. We did communicate with staff regarding the payroll administrative error on 2/1, and our payroll team worked diligently to ensure all staff received their direct deposits on their scheduled pay day. We understand the inconvenience and frustration the situation may have caused, but rest assured that was an isolated incident. All staff received their paychecks and will continue to do so on their regular pay schedule. If you have any additional concerns, please reach out to your human resources team.

10. 4.0

Great Place to work

May 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Terre Haute, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

This has been the best company I have worked for as an OT. When I was new to home health they provide a great orientation and training schedule. Since working for them 2.5 years now, I have a flexible schedule that comes with home health and feel as I am part of a great team that collaborate weekly for patient care. Also having A salaried position and company car are perks too! Over all I have been happy with my employment with Great Lakes Caring!

Cons

As with every place of employment there is some room for improvement. Because we do not have a typical office setting communication could improve, even though we have email and phones at times I feel out of the loop, so to speak. Also more flexibility with taking time off unpaid.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Digital/E-Marketing Manager

Thanks for your honest feedback! I'll share your comments with our leadership team.

Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 English Reviews