Elavon Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Jamie Walker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance and one of the best starting pays in the area (in 17 reviews)

• Elavon has great people working in the organization (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • some bad managers, largely stats driven call center, at times poor work/life balance (don't plan to get off of work at your exact hour), (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management likes to micromanage (in 11 reviews)

1. "Outstanding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Elavon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working with Elavon for less than 6 months. Each of the days during these 6 months, I have come to work happy and eager to be there. When I wake up on a Monday morning, I look forward to being at work. I am trusted, valued, and encouraged to speak with my manager and other associates about how things could be better, changes that I would like to see - and they are received with grace, even if they have ended up not implementing my changes. I also have have some personal/family issues crop up and have been told that "family comes first" and have been able to manage work and my family with ease. I *love* this company.

Cons

The pay is quite a bit lower than industry standard for my position, but Elavon | U.S. Bank still pay a pension (after 3 years of employment), so I think that makes up for it, mostly. The facility is a bit dated, but a move to a newer, more modern location in December will make up for that.

Advice to Management

Continue to rock!

2. "Application Developer 3"

I have been working at Elavon full-time

Pros

great location and near the mall. awesome company

Cons

construction of new buildins and traffic becuase of mall

3. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Elavon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

overtime, wear jeans and tennis shoes, apply to different departments, bank time - if need time off, can make up that time within the week without using sick/vacation time, can buy additional vacation hours.

Cons

need to put in time off early or won't be approved, sitting for long periods of time, 401K match not worth it, family benefits, weekly quality review

4. "Not a great place for advancement"

Current Employee - Premier Services Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Premier Services Agent in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Elavon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always plenty of hours and nice benefits

Cons

Very vindictive and petty people in a bureaucratic atmosphere. Floor agents "dating" managers is commonplace and often times applications for promotions are ignored without even an interview. No loyalty or very little consideration is given for tenure there. It is a very clique situation where most departments are adversarial toward other departments and individuals. Also preferential treatment is commonplace at this location.

Advice to Management

Management could learn to be more consistent and fair to everyone with rules that are not constantly changing and that are not enforced for everyone.

"Credit Review Specialist"

I have been working at Elavon full-time

Pros

you can wear whatever you want to work, within reason.

Cons

Senior Management doesn't seem to be held accountable for their mistakes and seem to lack the ability to step away from a problem to examine the bigger picture.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and make the realization that you are woefully ill informed regarding what technology can do for your company.

"Awful corporate atmosphere, awful training, you are a number to them, thats it"

Pros

I truly wish I had a couple

Cons

I truly wish there was enough room to post all the negative remarks I could make

Advice to Management

Your employees are people

7. "Account executive"

I have been working at Elavon full-time

Pros

Make your own schedule

Cons

High pressure sales, very competitive

"Operations"

I have been working at Elavon full-time

Pros

Good amount of vacation, not a bad job when you are actually left alone to do you job

Cons

Management acts like there is no life outside this place, pay is low

Advice to Management

Enforce a rule or two

"STAY AWAY: Things just getting worse"

I worked at Elavon full-time

Pros

Some really nice people in the trenches through middle management. Part of US Bank with some decent benefits like good vacation time, cash bonuses options, restricted stock and pension (depending on grade level). It's a place to go and hide if you just want to keep your head down and collect a paycheck; just don't try to make a difference.

Cons

Pathetic, political and back-biting executive management team. Play the game of "employee engagement" while completely ignoring really good people who want to make a difference. No empowerment for managers (all top down). At this point they are "playing company" and just going through the motions. They have very junior people with no leadership skills at the executive level.

Advice to Management

Take the high road and leave so that people with a clue can come in and fix this once respected company. Stop pretending to care about employees and customers or do something bold to live up to the core values you espouse.

"Welcome to He**-avon: Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Elavon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- For the area, the pay was decent, especially where office-jobs were sparse.
    - Some amazing coworkers and dept. managers. Honestly, the empathy and kindness of my coworkers and direct management were what kept me going for the multiple years I was there.

Cons

It's been a bit, so this is just what's still scarred into my brain cells. History forgotten is soon repeated and all that.

In any call-center environment, you'll find some problem areas that are to be expected, and for many just the fact that it's a call-center job means that it won't be a great fit for them-- which is normal and fine. However, the place is casually referred to as "He**-avon" for non-trivial reasons:

- Micromanagement: You are dealing with inbound customer calls, and while you don't want to waste anyone's time, you also want to solve the customer's problem. Some centers allow for this and are flexible on metrics when you provide a full one-call solution. He**-avon is not this way, so:
    -- ..you will deal with rampant mis-transfers: If a customer tosses in a keyword that is associated with a terminal, it's off to that dept. If it's a wireless terminal, off to that dept. You get the idea. The customer may just have questions about their monthly statement, but the department they end up in from general CS will be saddled with taking the mis-transfer, causing service to suffer for those seeing tech/specialized problems.
    -- ..you will deal with customers angry about a disconnect from their previous rep, and if that call had been dragging and the rep disconnected their phone for a moment, you cannot get the call back to that individual rep because no regular rep has an extension.
    -- ..you may end up dealing with "consultants." Think of "The Bobs" from Office Space. That's a primer, but you may end up being required to fill out a spreadsheet with everything you do and how long it took. For most things, this could be tracked by th softphone software you're using, but I guess they assume manually filling something like that out builds character. I'll never know. THe time that this was done while I was there ended with all reps being shuffled around based on their stats to different shifts that they could either take or quit. For those with children or family to take care of that legitimately could not work late, that meant seeing themselves to the door without an alternative.

- Culture: It's really a shame that middle management is so poor. It doesn't have to be that way, but those with bad attitudes who play politics there will linger forever and have problems overloooked, and those who see this from the outside can either accept it or see themselves out. Most just accept it because there are not many places in the area that they could transfer to without a much longer commute or other major obstacle. And:
    -- ..you will bond with coworkers over your misery. Whether it's The Bobs, the ridiculous training rooms with posterboards featuring grade-school art and slogans (Not Kidding: There was one with a crudely-drawn bee on it that said "Bee on time!"), or the insanity of whatever new micro-rule/TPS Sheet you have to work with now, you likely will find a group wihtin you department that will give you the will to carry on. So there's that.
    -- ..you will take advantage of "Half-Day Happiness" even though you will lose hours. After a while there, you will likely be willing to give up some money just to take advantage of their "get out early" option that comes up on days where there are more reps there than needed for the call flow. You will skip a night out's money to get a few hours of your life back. When the option comes out, if you aren't responding immediately, you won't have a chance as everyone champs at the bit to leave.
    -- ..you will hate their point-based "occurrence" (like demerits in school, really) system. Call out sick? That's a point against you, even if you have sick time. Shame on you for not scheduling ahead when you were going to be ill! Because any sick time over a half day counts the same up to 3 days (so 4 hours + 1 minute up to 3 days off), you will see people take off 3 days if they have the time, even if they don't need it, because what's the point-- you already got your occurrence. The main issue, though, will be that it takes months for one to drop off, up til the same day the following year. If you have gotten a few points and are essentially on probation, you are not eligible for a raise or bonus-- which makes a little sense except that it's possible you were eligible up until bonus time, and then lost it. Or you couldn't make it a full 6 months without having to take a half day to bring your kid to the doctor. It's just overall a punishing system, and once someone gets on probation, they may never get out of it. And, based on the low pay you start out at, missing that bonus or raise can hit hard given the rising cost of housing.

Ultimately, the frustration can get to you because things will not change at a reasonable rate-- if they ever change at all. You may find yourself like I did, having to psych themselves up for 5 minutes and convince themselves just to go in one more day and not just drive back out of the parking lot every day you had to work. Hopefully, though, you'll be able to get yourself through it and to a better job, because:
    -- ..there is no advancement. You cannot transfer departments while on probation, and as that can become semi-permanent, you could get stuck permanently in your position. Depending on your hours, you may not be able to take classes/training for another job while working there. But, given the area, you may not find another place without doing these things where they will give you a predictable schedule and at least paltry benefits.

Advice to Management

Honestly, management wasn't really receptive to suggestions, and many were ready to enforce the negatives to hold onto their position. We all need a paycheck, so I can understand to a degree, but it kinda makes advice pointless.

It's Russian Roulette which manager you'll get, so to those interested, all I can say is this: May the Odds Be Ever In Your Favor. Otherwise, ready the cannon.