Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) "laid back" Reviews | Glassdoor

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) Employee Reviews about "laid back"

Updated Nov 6, 2018

3.9
Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) President & CEO Michael W. Howard
Michael W. Howard
Pros
  • "Great work environment with brilliant colleagues(in 13 reviews)

• "Laid back, reasonable, good work environment(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management removed, HR not helpful to current employees(in 8 reviews)

• "Why would anyone come forward and identify inappropriate actions by senior management at this company(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "laid back"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Contractor - Contractor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) for more than a year

Pros

Laid back, reasonable, good work environment

Cons

None that I can think of

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2018-11-07
  2. "Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Great environment, a lot of great people and a PhD around every corner who are pundits in there field. Great if you want to go into energy. A lot of ex-DOE guys and gals from whom you can not stop learning. They give you freedom to get the work done which proved beneficial for me, but might not be great if you need constant help with projects. Laid-back feel and not too stressful.

Cons

HR was slow contacting me and delivering my offer. They say they plan on working on it. My team traveled a lot which would be bad if I didn't have significant prior experience working internships with other companies. Nothing much to complain about really.

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2018-09-08
  3. "Sweet"

Current Intern - Student Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Laid back. Good pay. Really care that your education comes first and then your work here.

Cons

Kind of boring for some interns. It really depends on which position you get.

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2018-03-13

"Fine to good place to work, but experience may vary depending on group"

Current Employee - Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a lot of smart people at EPRI and it generally has a laid-back atmosphere. If you're getting your work done, nobody will bother you. If you can bring in money, even better. The culture in Knoxville, though not what it used to be, is still quite friendly. While other comments about silos are absolutely true, it's only a few people who are truly bad actors: most are happy to consider working together. Some of the benefits are excellent (10% to 401k automatically) and the pay is good for the region. There are some excellent bosses and mentors.

Cons

Management can be very clumsy. Mid-level management varies greatly group to group and some mid-to-upper managers are better than others. The bureaucracy can be quite thick, IT infrastructure has become a bit of a disaster and the building in Knoxville is cheap and unpleasant. On pay, negotiate well, young ones, because annual raises are pretty modest usually and there doesn't seem to be much flexibility for bigger adjustments even if you perform well. They changed the job ladder a few years ago and it was implemented wildly inconsistently boss to boss - some promote quickly, some hardly at all, and skills for the same job title may not align. This seems to be less of a problem recently. For better or worse, they don't fire people often, and in some ways that's a problem - some people are quite complacent, and management is way too tolerant of those who silo, steal work from others, or simply don't carry their share. Management is also very slow to admit or correct mistakes - ask the CEO a direct but not rosy question and you'll think he is running for office, the way he ducks and dodges.

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2017-02-03

"Challenging work, but horrible management and apathetic support overhead departments"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Considered by many to be a well respected organization by our members although this opinion is starting to change. Working hours are very flexible and employees can come and go as they want as long as they put at least 41 hours on their timecards so they do not get audited. A lot of free food and drinks in the break rooms. Most coworkers are pleasant to be around. Pay is slightly below average for the region even with the low cost of living in Tennessee, but bonuses make up this discrepancy. We are constantly advised to not expect our bonuses as part of our salaries, but if we didn't get our bonuses so many people would leave the company en mass. Most years bonuses are around 15% of our annual salaries. Benefits are good, although our insurance switched from Blue Cross to Cigna, which isn't as good but still better than most. You can't really complain about free health insurance these days. The work is challenging, and most of the time you have enough work to keep you busy more than 90% of the time. The onsite lab makes it nice and quick to be able to have experiments done without having to sub the work out to other entities. Most employees are really laid back and willing to help out and offer advice when requested. It is rare to see any senior executives in the office since many of them moved to Charlotte a few years ago.

Cons

The organization has made drastic attempts over the past several years to become a leaner company with less overhead to make up for decreased membership funding. However these overhead departments are changing in such a way that their value is greatly diminished and are borderline worthless. Our HR department was renamed to People and Performance, but really it should be just Performance since the People aspect went away years ago. Our HR reps do not care about knowing the employees they are supposed to support and only care about making sure that we check off our goals at the end of the year so it looks like employees have developmental growth and so it looks good to our board of directors. It is good for our careers to grow and the company acts like they care, but at the same time our performance review systems are greatly flawed and people managers are directed to not give out above average employee evaluation scores. The local offices HR is not trained to resolve employee conflicts and rarely make themselves available to speak with employees in person. The personal aspect of HR has gone away completely. The IT department is also plagued with underpaid support staff who like HR, try to push responsibilities off of their own plate in an attempt to minimize the amount of meaningful work they have to do. IT changed from a customer satisfaction model to a metric driven model, so their primary goal is to close as many support tickets as quickly as they can regardless if the problem is resolved. If the problem is not resolved then the employees will submit another ticket for the same issue which incorrectly shows that IT is great at solving problems quickly. There is a lot of turnover at all levels of this department and sadly its the less knowledgeable staff that tends to remain. Both IT and HR refuse to recognize that their positions exist because of the R&D work done by the technical staff and the low morale among technical staff is compounded by the supreme apathy among these support departments. People in Palo Alto and Charlotte seem to think that Knoxville employees are less educated and less valuable than the other offices. This mentality is reflected not only in senior management but also in other departments. The office building is years behind the other offices with regards to conferencing equipment and is overdue for a renovation. Charlotte and Palo Alto campuses have character, whereas Knoxville is blandly decorated with no frills. The company refuses to spend a single penny more than they have to on Knoxville whereas Charlotte gets a nature trail and Palo Alto has employee gardens and outdoor use patios with tables and benches. The largest conference room is not even large enough to accommodate the office for all employee meetings. Company wide, support staff without a traditional college education are not allowed to be salaried, and instead are hourly employees. This segregates the workforce and creates massive barriers designed to prevent hourly employees from advancing to salaried and higher paid technical positions. Hourly employees also receive much lower annual bonus rates, which further promotes the ideologies of a segregated workforce. HR gave me a verbal warning in March for talking about the bonus rates with an hourly employee. The company does a poor job of promoting from within and much prefers to hire external candidates instead.

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2016-09-11
  6. "Good environment"

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

- Great Employees to work with - Laid back environment but good working atmosphere - Team driven - Flexible hours

Cons

For a tech company with in Bay Area, the wages are quite low

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2015-05-28

"Terrible management, highly segregated culture"

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) full-time

Pros

great research opportunities; mix with lots of diverse people in electricity industry, great benefits, laid-back

Cons

do nothing to help transition for new hires (including those with experience), little managerial direction, very unstructured in terms of policies and procedures, difficult to advance, pay increases are menial and do not keep up with inflation

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2015-04-22
  8. "Great company doing great things!"

I worked at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)

Pros

Exciting research , great compensation , laid back and relaxed work environment, many employee incentatives

Cons

None from my experience

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2015-03-16
  9. "Great place to work as an Intern."

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI) for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people. All around, loved everyone I worked with. Laid back atmosphere. Free food (and good food at that) often once a week.

Cons

Never got the feeling that what I was doing mattered much, but I was only an intern. I didn't always feel properly trained to do what I was asked to do.

Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI)2014-03-03

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews