Electric Word Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

3.7
Julian Turner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing and great company to work for."

Former Employee - Assistant Office Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Office Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Electric Word full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They gave me a chance. They valued me and didn't have any issue with me not having any qualifications when I started. Julian was an inspiration and he made me who I am today.

Cons

None. I enjoyed all my time at the company. They did nothing wrong and fully supported me. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Advice to Management

Take a leaf out of Julian's book.

2. "Thanks for creating the company we wanted to work in!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Electric Word (More than 10 years)

Pros

Celebrating mistakes as learning opportunities; colleagues who put the team or business ahead of themselves; people trying to make decisions based on evidence (even if we didn't always get them right!); creating some great products; working seriously but having fun; office golf; some legendary figures.

Cons

We made it hard for ourselves by having too much going on at the same time at insufficient scale.

3. "Fine."

Former Employee - Process and Administrative Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Process and Administrative Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Electric Word full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice team, friendly atmosphere, relaxed work environment, non-disciplinarian. Met a lot of cool people who I'm still in touch with after a couple of years.

Cons

Little chance of career progression, sections struggling and being sold off, with people sacked after years of service. Felt a bit grim by the time I left.

Advice to Management

There's battle lines being drawn
    Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
    Young people speaking their minds
    Getting so much resistance from behind

4. "There are better publishing companies to work for"

I worked at Electric Word full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working with the people here as they are a real friendly bunch and it is a good team environment . It is a small company so you are exposed to more of the business. Bonus is the office gets a weekly fruit delivery which is a nice touch.

Cons

The IT equipment is in dire need of an upgrade. We didn't even have laptops or mobile phones. There was a high staff turnover which is not a good sign in a business.

Advice to Management

Be more digital and move with the times otherwise you won't be profitable. Stop trying to do too much and focus on your strengths. If you reward your staff they are more likely to stay. Management was weak in some areas

5. "Education publishing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Electric Word full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training opportunities and possibilities for progression. Relaxed environment but serious about results.

Cons

Some lack of coordination between teams.

Electric Word Response

Mar 16, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback -EW HR team!

6. "Alright for temporary work"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hornsey, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hornsey, England (UK)

I worked at Electric Word (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly office, nice working environment and lots of steady work to do. Everyone willing to help.

Cons

Bit of a lads' crew. Took forever to pay me, had to chase them multiple times because I was "just" a temp worker.

Advice to Management

Pay on time.

7. "Terrible organisation"

Former Employee - Account Executive, IGB in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive, IGB in London, England (UK)

I worked at Electric Word full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're able to get on good terms with managers then there are big opportunities to make a difference

Cons

The structure is a mess. They create new jobs when one persons workload becomes too high, so it grows very organically but without any clear vision at all.

They are market leaders in terms of content but are making their first steps into online content. This needs to be searchable, needs to be set up appropriately and to do that they need to bring in or outsource specialist skills.

They hire externally precisely because of the skills these new people bring in to the business - then don't listen to those people. For instance I was hired because of my knowledge of selling information databases as research material - I know that product type inside/out - but I was then shot down on any advice I gave "because I didnt know the gaming market".

They need to sort out the search functions on their online products.

They pay staff quite poorly but with good bonuses - unless you're lucky in the market you work in/on good terms with management

Advice to Management

Form an agreement with EBSCO or Proquest and let their experts build your search engines. Listen to the staff when they are referencing (and evidencing) areas in which they have more expertise than you.

8. "Good company"

I have been working at Electric Word full-time

Pros

The company has a values document which sets the scene and culture and although sometimes things go array the company tends to stay focused on this which is great. Best parts of EW are the people, autonomy and the entrepreneurial atmosphere.

Cons

Only con for some people is the pay which may not be as high as other companies but the culture and working life I believe outweigh this as the difference when applicable is minor

9. "I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Rewarding work, challenges and relationships."

Pros

Great company values that come right from the top, including fair treatment, open and innovative environment where ideas are welcome, empowering talent, collaboration, learning from each other and analysis of effectiveness.

Cons

Too much going on, senior managers are too widely spread, not having enough focus on see all that is happening or be able to sort issues in a timely manner. But they all have good intentions. Couple of managers could do further management development.

Advice to Management

Sort one person dependancy issue - perhaps better succession planning, cross training/secondments and objective way of identifying and developing talent in a more organised way