Electro Scientific Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Electro Scientific Industries President, CEO, and Director Nick Konidaris
Nick Konidaris

1. "ESI"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Electro Scientific Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of smart colleagues and interesting work. Given the freedom to drive projects to resolution. A large variety of customers and applications.

Cons

If management is not focused on your project you will get little to no support. If management is focused on your project it will be micro-managed to oblivion.

Lack of resources to cover the projects tackled.

Advice to Management

Cut down on the number of projects so that those that are important are done right. Be more realistic in timelines and goals. Get out of meetings/your office and listen to what your team tells you.

"Former field engineer"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer - 1990's in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer - 1990's in Dallas, TX

Pros

Best job I ever had. Well trained, well paid, chose our own airline, company car, overall a great job and I loved doing it.

Cons

Management changed hands and took all the benefits away. All of them I was told to go buy reliable transportation and esi would give me $0.11 / mile. Started flying all field engineers out on Sundays, made us stay over a Saturday night to cut costs that customers paid for - no impact to esi. 7 of 8 field engineers quit in one month.

Advice to Management

Think before you keep. Good Lord why did management act surprised when we all left one by one?

3. "I performed drudge work at a company unprepared for interns."

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Intern - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Electro Scientific Industries as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was given a lot of independence in choosing what I worked on, and was given the opportunity to get experience from older employees. There was also an on-site cafeteria.

Cons

The average employee age was 10-20 years older than me and there was not any sense of mentorship. The company also seemed unprepared for interns (projects weren't well defined).

"Teamwork is strong - Manufacturing is going overseas"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Strong on teamwork and cross-functional support. Design engineering is both innovative and realistic. Operations works like an ISO 9001 company even though company is not ISO 9001.

Cons

Very few new products making it to the marketplace. Product direction is more by management dictates than well reasoned approach. Company is presently dependent on a few loyal customers.

Advice to Management

Marketing and new marketing research at the company is weak. With senior staff, determine collectively what must happen to affect better research.

6. "Observations of a mid-size company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Time off allocation is nice for a new employee. Stock option plan is worthwhile. Engineering is king and appreciated. In-house cafeteria is a great deal!

Cons

Long term prospects are limited as they move their manufacturing off-shore to Asia. Internal movement is preferential by the upper management.

Advice to Management

Look at work experience and not just a degree! Upper management needs to get out of their offices more and walk around and get a feel of what the rank and file are doing and see how they perceive things.

7. "Overall review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

Flexible work schedules are a huge plus. There's never a problem with rearranging my schedule to meet my family needs. Great people who really know their stuff work here. The benefits package is really good too.

Cons

There aren't many opportunities for advancement. The review process is tedious. Hard work isn't always recognized on an individual level.

Advice to Management

Work towards streamlining the review process. Stay on top of management to insure reivews are being given timely and are not extending a month or more beyond the given deadlines.

"Average overall"

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

The people at ESI are smart and easy to get along with. There's a wide variety of technology and a lot of it is cutting-edge. The company is small enough that any individual can make a noticeable difference if they want to get off of their butt. Intentions are almost always good.

Cons

There's been an incredible amount of churn in personnel over the last 5 years. The company is in the process of transitioning from old-school where 25+ years of service was typical to new-school where 5 years of service is industry average. Strong, team-building leadership is undervalued and almost non-existent. Company culture doesn't include constructively critical periods of review across entire disciplines but rather pits engineers against one another for once-yearly reviews. Check the stock price history.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the corporate culture