Electroimpact Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Electroimpact CEO Peter Zieve
Peter Zieve

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you stay for several years there would hopefully still be some profit sharing" (in 15 reviews)

• "Lots of freedom to work on what you want to work on" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not enough feedback for new engineers" (in 5 reviews)

• "Culture and work environment are 100% better and managers are actually helpful and engaged" (in 5 reviews)

"Great Company"

I have been working at Electroimpact full-time

Pros

Freedom to show up or leave when you want is probably my favorite thing about Electroimpact.
    Also the people here are really cool and want to help you grow as an engineer, with a few notable exceptions. But the nice thing about this company is you have so much say in what you do and who you work with that if you have a really bad experience working with someone, chances are you will never have to work with that person again.
    This company is especially great for me a single young guy, as I get to travel to different states and countries all over the world which is more fun when you don't have a family to worry about.

Cons

A lot of the designs are getting quite standardized at this point and you may only find yourself making modifications to other peoples designs, which can be a lot less fulfilling.

2. "Project Engineer"

I worked at Electroimpact full-time

Pros

Flexible, Cradle to Grave Engineering, Travel, Good Pay, Work with and learn from incredible engineers.

Cons

The president can be a bit high-profile, they are working to improve their management structure and style.

3. "Electroimpact - Mechanical Engineer - Chaotic and interesting place, going downhill."

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Everett, WA

I worked at Electroimpact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lot of individual freedoms. You get to handle your own purchase orders, and have a lot of control over your schedule.
    - Electroimpact builds interesting and unique equipment for aircraft production lines.
    - Amazing healthcare plan.

Cons

- Laid off with no warning at the beginning of 2018, it is now the end of the 2018 and they are reportedly hiring again. A lot of people left the company after the layoffs and I've heard moral has been pretty low.
    - Unorganized company with insufficient communication from higher ups.
    - Lower than average starting wage.
    - Only given a review once, and it was to tell me what I did wrong with no opportunities to fix it before they reduced my wage increase.
    - Preference is given to older employees, some of who have been with the company when it started. They are incredibly knowledgeable but are often too busy to help teach younger engineers.
    - Very little support from higher ups, don't expect much training or advice in how to do your job. You are expected to ask questions to learn how get anything done, just don't expect other people to actually have answers.
    - Look up Electroimpact's Peter Zieve in the news, their owner and CEO is a rather extreme individual and your personal opinions may conflict with his. He is no longer involved in hiring at Electroimpact. I mean I had to provide a picture with my resume, I didn't notice it as weird at the time, but hindsight is 20/20.
    - A lot of political nonsense. Management is excessively conservative and makes it pretty obvious.

Advice to Management

- Formalize training for new employees.
    - Improve communication and restore trust with younger employees.
    - Hire non-engineers for non-engineering tasks.

"Used to be an engineers playground"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mukilteo, WA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mukilteo, WA

I worked at Electroimpact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employees still have a great deal of freedom to explore and design out of the box.

Cons

That freedom has shrunk by orders of magnitude. The CEO with his political nonsense has pissed off better than half the company. The biggest manufacturers also seem to be clamping down on any creative freedom in the process. Years ago, the general feeling was "leave us alone, we'll make your production line work" Now its became so micromanaged to the point that there are people who have to become boeing drawing experts to make sure the font size and arrow line weight is perfect before even a shim spacer can be cut.

Advice to Management

CEO still manages to make the news for his radical right wing support, million $ to trump, hundreds of thousands to others. His financials are sketchy at best. I did my best to make 10 white babies for the massive profit share, but alas, I made none.

5. "Good company"

I have been working at Electroimpact full-time

Pros

Very little micro-managing, profit sharing, great benefits.

Cons

A lot of the designs are getting standardized at this point and you may only find yourself making modifications to other peoples designs, which can be a lot less fulfilling.

"Software Engineers: AVOID"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mukilteo, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mukilteo, WA

I worked at Electroimpact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very good insurance.
    - Almost impossible to get fired unless you're the absolute worst. (And even then...)

Cons

- They don't know what to do with software engineers.
    - They don't know what to pay software engineers.
    - Several toxic people in management may or may not make your life a living hell.

"Controls Engineer"

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Mukilteo, WA
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Mukilteo, WA

I worked at Electroimpact full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great freedom to excel as an engineer

Cons

Management structure is almost non-existent

"Cool Technology; not so cool racism/sexism"

I worked at Electroimpact full-time

Pros

* get to work on cool technology
    * get to follow projects from proposal to managing assembly
    * Employees have access to everyone's compensation so you have all the data you need to be compensated appropriately
    * Very flexible about lateral changes in the company

Cons

Even during my onsite interview the managers were open about how the company hiring was racist and sexist. Things may have changed since the settlement but you can read about it in the Seattle Times.

"Interesting place"

I have been working at Electroimpact full-time

Pros

Fun place to work, freedom to move around, lots of opportunities, you are responsible for your own work.

Cons

Lots of difficult personalities (including the owner), pay is below industry standard, currently going through some needed changes to culture.

"Decent initial exposure to mechanical design"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mukilteo, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Mukilteo, WA

I have been working at Electroimpact full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on experience

You learn things you never get sitting in a classroom in college

Immediate responsibilities when starting

Cons

Severe lack of personnel management

Sub standard pay

Less interesting work is done by new/ recent hires

Feels like a start up that never transitioned into a larger company

Not enough feedback for new engineers

Lack of training for new engineers

Very little vacation for new engineers (0 for first six months, and then you start to accrue time).

Advice to Management

Do more management of people. I've been with the company 2 years and only have had a 5 minute conversation on what I can do better as an engineer.

There is very little focus on what your career goals are, and how what you're doing now will help that. More centers around this needs to get done, and I don't want to do it, so give it to the new guy.

There is little to no sense that management cares if you're happy with the work your doing, or the team that you're on.