Electronic Arts Reviews in Orlando, FL | Glassdoor

Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pretty bad work/life balance when it's crunch time (in 72 reviews)

• I would say that the worst thing would have been the very long hours that I had to work (in 79 reviews)

"Best Company Ever"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

awesome co-workers, relaxed environment, flexible schedule, supportive management, unbelievable benefits, coffee machines, cereal bars, luxurious accommodations

Cons

unorganized project management, lack of communication regarding decisions that effect individual teams

"Tiburon - Not the best experience in my career."

Former Employee - Team Member in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Team Member in Orlando, FL

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll meet some great people.
    Employee Stock Plan is pretty good at times.
    I guess it looks good on your resume, although at times this hasn't looked good on my resume as well.

Cons

- Little to no career growth outside of management positions.
    - Very little emphasis on career path, or building your skills.
    - Very poor compensation in comparison to the industry.
    - Directors do not take their management responsibilities seriously, I haven't had a serious performance review in my 5 years.
    - Management only cares about taking care of management, they basically promote themselves super rapidly, and the majority of them are no where near ready for many of the responsibilities they are given. Management is always the first people to get "full time", while other disciplines tend to get contracted and receive no benefits. They'll generally only offer you full time if they're scared you will go elsewhere. Its a horrible business model that everyone hates, but its kind of the industry norm. Its sad that an "industry leader" isn't actively trying to solve this problem, shows that they really don't respect their employees.
    - Little to no accountability across the the studio.
    - Very poor project management, there's months where you don't do anything then you crunch super late due to poor planning and communication.
    - Vets at this studio have so much time off, the rest of the studio suffers yearly because they are constantly taking time-off/sabbatical. Which EA has eliminated for all employees past a certain date so you'll never get it! It's interesting that they haven't transitioned these people into leadership positions at this point, because it is a heavy burden when you have to cover development work for people(please move these people into project management roles). Again, this also ties in with the poor management/planning.
    - Directors are never around so features typically get pulled in many direction since the directors do a poor job of taking ownership. Lots of reworking of the same feature due to absence of leadership.
    - Directors are constantly taking on tasks that should belong to lower level employees, making them unavailable. I don't think the studio has a very good sense of what leadership responsibilities entail. I once didn't see my director for 5 months because he was off doing something an intern probably should have been doing.
    - Executive leadership is a boys club, and project management is slowly turning into a girls club. This is probably in part to EA's push to try and look good by hiring more women in leadership positions. While admirable I think they put too much emphasis on this, and the studio has shown its incapable of being unbiased in their hiring decisions for management, which has made a pretty toxic workplace that has split into many of the development teams. When you hire an intern who did very little in 3 months before you hire a contractor who's been there for two years, it just looks bad and the workplace notices it. (this happens yearly by the way)
    - Hyper political.

Advice to Management

You need to clean house on the management side of things, this place is a political nightmare. Especially lately, there's been a ton of good people who've left over the past year or so, and I think this is directly related to the poor leadership by the studio as a whole.

You need to hire real development directors, and try to get more people from outside the industry with more experience. Most of the project managers you hire are super young with little to no experience in the real world and even less when it comes to leading teams, this is generally fine. However, when you promote these young employees too quickly the result is leaders with no experience, teaching leaders with no experience. The result: you get sub-par leadership with habits that negatively impact the team. Couple this with a bunch of hyper political individuals who have mastered politics and you get a studio that is incapable of recognizing its own fallacies.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic team growing fast and well

Cons

Getting access to Database is not the fastest.

"Cinematic Animator"

Current Contractor - Cinematic Animator in Orlando, FL
    Current Contractor - Cinematic Animator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive coworkers and studio structure. Paid OT for contract workers. People are generally happy and pleasant to work around, which no matter what the work project is, makes all the difference.

Cons

Animation is largely outsourced to second and third party companies in China. Some work is done in house, but animators often perform a variety of other tasks (technical support, engine work, scene setup, etc) than actually animating.

"Character Artist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

If you are driven, smart, and a collaborator, there is always room to grow at EA.

Cons

While good work is recognized by your manager and potentially their boss, rarely is your work recognized more than two levels up.

Advice to Management

When individual contributors don't respond well to your management strategies, don't double down on them. Seek alternate strategies.

"Pay in QA is attrocious for experience"

Former Employee - Senior QA Lead in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Senior QA Lead in Orlando, FL

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time

Pros

Gain experience working for an industry giant and get to see the grind from the inside. Attempt to keep it a fun atmosphere

Cons

Low pay, excessive grinding "crunch" hours and poor work life balance, often times poor management no real direction on advancement

Advice to Management

Talent is hired and released consistently at the end of any project - Start focusing on retaining quality employees instead of constant turn-over and invest in training and improving employee quality

"Senior Artist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best games ever made. If you work here, you've basically made it to the top, right?
    Good benefits. Good perks.
    Studios are in great locations.
    Top notch equipment and software.
    Relatively stable; the company is obviously not on shaky financial ground.

Cons

Moves slow; big decisions are made by committee that can take weeks or months to decide.
    HR department is protective of the company, not the employees.
    Hard to move up the food chain for some positions.
    Company is so big that individuals are sometimes unvalued.

Advice to Management

Don't be so overprotective of the company at the cost of individuals.

"What an AMAZING Team to be a part of!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Database Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with the company just over a month now. I honestly couldn't be any happier with my experience thus far from recruitment, the on-boarding process, and the work here at EA. The perks and benefits are outstanding!!! The culture here is nothing short of AMAZING!!! I think I finally found my home through retirement :)

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!! I truly love working here :)

9. "Devops Engineer"

Former Contractor - Devops Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Devops Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Electronic Arts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge and appealing work environment. Amazing talent across the board. Very flexible hours and remote work is possible.

Cons

Organizational challenges associated with distributed (global) teams.

Advice to Management

Improve communication between organizational units and provide better access to training for new hires.

10. "Stressful."

Current Employee - Associate Producer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Producer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts (More than a year)

Pros

Football is cool, overtime is nice

Cons

High stress, little work/life balance

Showing 86 of 1,740 reviews