Electronic Arts Reviews | Glassdoor

Andrew Wilson

1,394 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pretty bad work/life balance when it's crunch time (in 69 reviews)

• I would say that the worst thing would have been the very long hours that I had to work (in 77 reviews)

"Love it here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment, intelligent people and a successful, exciting business.

Cons

Compensation is below market for many people and it is difficult to be promoted.

"Stress-free working envrionment"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work-life balance, fun, great benefit package, career grow opportunity, knowledge sharing culture.

Cons

i don't have any cons.

"A wonderful hame development studio and publisher that supports growth, good culture and family."

Current Employee - Senior Environment Artist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Environment Artist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supports family and live work balance. Various sub cultures nurture internal growth by allowing folks to jump between roles. Some pursue new interests while others nurture existing ones. Professionals without ego are hired and sharing of development and knowledge is important.

Cons

In the development studio the high-school sub culture can get old. Some are more mature than others but this is also nature of the industry.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team. Lead efforts to build team culture. Recognize strengths, nurture. Don't pretend you care, show us. In 1:1s think about how we feel when you speak with us, nurture that relationship and mutual respect.

"Working in gaming is awesome"

Former Employee - Director of Global Social and Mobile Campaign Planning in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic product and great opportunities to diversify within the company. Fantastic rewards including generous share options and spot rewards

Cons

Large organisation, some degree of bureaucracy

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company over all has a great culture, the benefits are great and the people are down to earth and inspiring to be around.

Cons

The base pay can be a bit better. Since we live in California, it's tough to live in such an expensive market. The company should show more support in this area.

Advice to Management

Raise the base pay so you don't lose to competitors like Apple and Facebook.

"Best Company and BEST TEAM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the team that I work with, They are a group of super talented, smart and fun individuals. Best team i have ever worked with. I am so lucky to come to work every day.
    The environment is positive, challenging and supportive. I love working with my team and my manager. I feel supported and i feel that my voice is heard (from the GM down to my coworkers).
    I love waking up every day and coming to work. We make a great product and the team here is dedicated to provide the best.

Cons

I have no cons. Capital Games is a great place to work. I encourage anyone that is qualified to apply.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!! Look forward to our future!

"New senior employee experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As I went through the interview stages with EA, I had the same concerns that anyone interviewing with EA would - after the many years of terrible reviews and being rated as the worst company to work for, how has the company changed?

The answer from everyone was the same, but all in their own words, not some company line. Since Andrew Wilson took over as CEO, the poor culture is a thing of the past, and they've had no exposure to it (all were with the company for 1-3 years). I took them at their word and accepted an offer.

The company structure is relatively flat, without tons of needless levels of management. Where at a typical large company you'd see a structure like IC -> manager -> sr. manager -> director -> sr. director -> vp -> svp -> evp -> c-level, there are a few less levels of management here. This is a great thing which allows decisions to be made faster without the typical management gridlock of slow-moving large companies.

Working at EA has been a great experience so far, my colleagues are fun to work with, and the company is showing record numbers. I've had exposure to all levels of the company, up to and including the CTO, management is supportive of my career growth, and I'm getting to work on some great games. I couldn't have hoped for a better experience, and my interviewers were right - the company has changed.

Cons

There's the traditional trade-off between a large company and a startup, small and agile with lots of risk and potential reward vs. large, a bit slower (though not as slow as you might expect due to the management structure, as mentioned above), stable, and a guaranteed future. I've been with both large companies and startups, so I knew what to expect, and as long as you do too, this isn't necessarily a con - it's just different.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Great for Employees"

Current Employee - QA Project Lead in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - QA Project Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

EA is a very successful company, so you'll have the opportunity to work on some great games. Also, they have a whole lot of job opportunities outside of working directly on games.

Cons

Depending on where you work, hours can get bad. But things were way worse 10 years ago, and a lot of teams have made vast improvements.

"Pretty nice place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, many employees stay around for 10+ years

Cons

Hard to get promoted especially with people sticking around for a long time

"EA Digital Platform"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is performing very well financially. The one team mentality along with the player first agenda has inspired the entire company and make for a positive work enviornment. The CEO has a gaming background and is a rising star.

Cons

Central technical teams are stretched too thin and don't work well with each other. If you are not part of one of the large franchises out of one of the studios, you will be treated like a 2nd class citizen

Advice to Management

Do a better job of recognizing talent, or the lack there of, on your teams.

Showing 1,394 of 1,636 reviews