Electronic Arts Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 24, 2019

3.1
Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson
  1. "Awesome Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Work Life Balance here

Cons

Too many changes too fast

Electronic Arts2019-03-15
  2. "Business over tech or product, good effort to be a good employer"

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

"Fun" games industry environment with the stability and perks of a large corp. People generally nice and cooperative, at least at the IC level.

Cons

Studios run the show, and central tech can be oblivious to game dev or the game business.

Electronic Arts2019-09-12

"New senior employee experience"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for less than a year

Pros

As I went through the interview stages with EA, I had the same concerns that anyone interviewing with EA would - after the many years of terrible reviews and being rated as the worst company to work for, how has the company changed? The answer from everyone was the same, but all in their own words, not some company line. Since Andrew Wilson took over as CEO, the poor culture is a thing of the past, and they've... had no exposure to it (all were with the company for 1-3 years). I took them at their word and accepted an offer. The company structure is relatively flat, without tons of needless levels of management. Where at a typical large company you'd see a structure like IC -> manager -> sr. manager -> director -> sr. director -> vp -> svp -> evp -> c-level, there are a few less levels of management here. This is a great thing which allows decisions to be made faster without the typical management gridlock of slow-moving large companies. Working at EA has been a great experience so far, my colleagues are fun to work with, and the company is showing record numbers. I've had exposure to all levels of the company, up to and including the CTO, management is supportive of my career growth, and I'm getting to work on some great games. I couldn't have hoped for a better experience, and my interviewers were right - the company has changed.

Cons

There's the traditional trade-off between a large company and a startup, small and agile with lots of risk and potential reward vs. large, a bit slower (though not as slow as you might expect due to the management structure, as mentioned above), stable, and a guaranteed future. I've been with both large companies and startups, so I knew what to expect, and as long as you do too, this isn't necessarily a con - it's... just different.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Electronic Arts2017-05-30

"Pretty nice place to work"

Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work life balance, many employees stay around for 10+ years

Cons

Hard to get promoted especially with people sticking around for a long time

Electronic Arts2017-05-18

"Great company but depends on the group"

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Amazing campus * Talented and smart collegues

Cons

* Management is going nuts with the cost saving by not hiring enough people.

Electronic Arts2015-08-05

"One of THE BEST employers in Florida!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Real teamwork, fun people to be around. Its been an honor to work there. Lots of opportunity for growth. Your family is always invited to every holiday event :) Lots of on Campus events as well as off site 4 Star events.

Cons

We use cutting edge technology. You either know it, or you keep up with it. That can be an aggressive learning schedule for some and requires the ability to change architectures when they arrive.

Electronic Arts2015-04-29

"Interesting projects and great co-workers amidst massive corporate dysfunction."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been very lucky to have had the privilege to work with so many intelligent, creative and passionate individuals on a wide range of projects across several studios at EA.

Cons

The enormous layering of middle and upper management creates a vacuum which has a tendency to destroy creativity and idea exploration on game teams. The senior level structure within EA is unfortunately more interested in the preservation of their own roles within the company than in creating really great games. Additionally, this company is extremely risk adverse and beholden to their quarterly reports which... ensures that they will continue to follow the trends rather than create them.

Advice to Management

Flatten the corporate structure and trim the fat where it’s truly needed so you can get back to focusing on what's important - the games.

Electronic Arts2014-10-31

"Good game company to work"

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Free games to play * Fun work environment * Very active and friendly team to work with * A lot of going-on, high front-edge tech you can learn and promote yourself

Cons

* Big company, so promotion opportunity is limited * Salary relative low comparing to other highly recognized IT and game company * No free lunch

Advice to Management

Depends on team, i am on a very good team with a very good manager. But also knows some teams are not that ideal.

Electronic Arts2014-10-05
  9. "Got good and best work experience in oracle Appications"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good & Safe Environment Hard Working and good learning to complete deliveries in time Experience with different people and expertize managers

Cons

Project Go-Live Completion with 100% Quality

Advice to Management

Working Hours for employees need to be comfort

Electronic Arts2014-09-14

"Best experience of my life... also the worst at times."

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is an unbelievable amount of talented and creative people at EA. Great benefits. Loads of fun building cool games that millions of people all over the world enjoy. The people who voted EA "worst company in America" should move out of their mom's basement. :) I mean really... we beat out Bank of America and any number of oil companies!

Cons

Silos within the company mean wasted resources due solving the same problems over and over and over. Poor management and leadership at all levels. Poor work / life balance at times due to poor project/time management failure. Middle management bloat.

Advice to Management

Break down the silos... facilitate communication and learning among the studios. Give all employees an opportunity to have their voice heard.

Electronic Arts2014-07-18