Electronic Data Systems Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

Electronic Data Systems Dallas Reviews

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX Area

Pros
  • Great work life balance was a plus (in 17 reviews)

• Gained good experience and exposure; met good people; development (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 25 reviews)

• Got to be ready to work hard and long hours (in 14 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, TX

Pros

Management seemed to be competent. They had an involved review process and really worked with employees to provide new opportunities. Individual feedback was great.

Cons

The long involved review process was sometimes tedious. There always seemed to be a push to move into the IT side of the business.

Advice to Management

EDS is a nice place to work. I enjoyed my time there.

"Every Day Sucks"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Plano, TX

Pros

Not a whole lot of good things to say, that is why i'm out here reading reviews to get a new job

Cons

bad managers who will keep their foot on your head to stay a float as the work force reductions happen.

Advice to Management

no real advice for them. I'm not a huge fan of the management so I guess I would tell them to listen to open their eyes

3. "Suck up to the boss and survive"

Former Employee - Information Specialist in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Specialist in Plano, TX

Pros

Decent work life balance. Most people dont work so they know that their other jobs or life is more imp than this job.

Cons

* Pathetic management. Bosses know how to suckup to their bosses and they expect it from employees. No merit. No consideration for skills, experience and knowledge. Very old school and rigid reporting structure.
    * Employees are incompetent, stuck on to old technology, dont share and dont want to share as they fear job security.
    * Management makes it worse by laying off their best people. And outsourcing jobs.
    * I have seen many career empoyees who daily come to office or work from their homes on the same deadend projects somehow. Hats off to their suckability.
    * bottom line..useless company

Advice to Management

U have no hope.

"Joe Eazor wake up and smell the coffee."

Current Employee - Systems Management in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Management in Dallas, TX

Pros

work from home
    new hp laptop

Cons

Pay cut for doing a good job
    having to help cluess Staff from argentina
    having a unix staff that is so understaffed it not funny
    Argentina staff (need I say more)
    a CEO that has no clue of running an IT company gee why did you buy one?
    A CEO that makes millions but is requiring staff around the workd to take paycutts ro else.
    A CEO named Mark Hurd
    A general manger named Joe Eazor neew I am say more?

Advice to Management

Joe Eazor please please wake up. When was the last time you spoke
    with someone on your staff, one that does real work and not one that brown noses up to you?

6. "Nice people, doesn't utilize the technology"

Current Employee - Relocation Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Relocation Analyst in Plano, TX

Pros

Senior management is flexible and understanding in the EDS ExcellerateHRO department. Lots of training provided by online delivery services. Plenty of chances to improve and earn certifications using that system. Well laid out career goal planning which is done with a neat HR online platform.

Cons

Cubicle city. The relocation department purchased a software that they don't really know how to use. When the software developers came to show us how to utilize it, even they weren't sure to what extent it could perform the tasks that we wanted. Many of the employees still shuffle papers around endlessly instead of using the new technological tools, but I can't blame them since the software platform doesn't work well at all.

Advice to Management

Get a new user-friendly software service package or have someone who is an expert at it teach it properly to all its users.

7. "Now is the time to listen, not just issue decisions"

Current Employee - Sales Support Professional in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Support Professional in Plano, TX

Pros

Being with HP opens up a world of opportunities, with new business sectors and job types available. HP's increased diversity with the addition of EDS makes HP a stronger contender against IBM and Dell.

Cons

At the moment HP-EDS employees are working under a dark cloud due to the constant drumbeat of hints, statements, and rumors of layoffs. One never knows if next Monday will be another Black Monday. It's maddening to see EDS targeted as the focus of yet another round of layoffs, almost in the same breath with statements that EDS' strong performance helped HP offset poor results in its other business units.

Advice to Management

Please show a commitment to listening to the people, often touted as "our greatest asset." But right now it seems as though upper management is in its castle issuing dire edicts rather than listening. Now is the time to find out what the company's people are dealing with and the obstacles they're finding to better results.

8. "It is a clique"

Former Employee - Information Architect in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Architect in Plano, TX

Pros

They do have some good opportunities to learning new technologies and skills. Requesting days off were very easily accommodated. Benefits were pretty standard.

Cons

Very poor management and supervision. It reminds me of the cliques that were in high school. If you are not in the clique then you are outside. Personally witnessed several cases of favoritism and others claiming credit for work they did not perform. Supervision does not listen well to their employees in several cases I have witnessed.

Advice to Management

Management and superivision needs to take a strong look at how they conduct themselves. They should not show favoritism and they should listen to their employees. They need to remove the cliques that are rampant.

9. "Turn out the lights..."

Former Employee - Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Good people on the team; benefits are OK, at least for now before becoming same HP. I enjoyed working for my team and felt I was supported by first-line managers. Also enjoyed working with teams on a global basis.

Cons

The problem was with upper management. Most acquisitions are not good for the rank and file and it's annoying when management tries to pretend all will be better, more opportunity, etc. Why pretend? HP has ruined the company. The first 5% salary cut was hard, but at least it was across all of HP and EDS. The extra 10% cut in April was only on EDS in the US--not fair and did not stop the layoffs. Most people were livid, but had little choice because of the bad economy. As soon as times are better, those few left will also hit the road.

Advice to Management

None to give-it's over.

10. "All things considered, potential to be great if you have the will to get through current climate"

Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Great learning and development opportunities, but you mostly have to direct your own development, due to the tremendous wealth of experts throughout the organization.

Working at a market leader provides access to ideas and capabilities you won't get in smaller organizations.

Cons

Difficult being the acquired company, but that is what it is and is to be expected in the near term, when two large organizations come together.

Learning to do things the HP Way is not always "new" (aside from new terminology) but you may feel like your experience is not valued as highly as it could be when interacting with your new HP bosses.

Advice to Management

Keep moving fast and lets us know when we are past the most difficult parts of becoming HP

11. "EDS used to be great... HP is destroying us."

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Dallas, TX

Pros

The people I work with a are great, my job is challening and I enjoy what I do. My direct management is very flexiable with my scheduling and allows work from home when needed. This is a big positive in my book. There are not many positives now though since HP came in.

Cons

EDS used to be a great place to work before the merger with HP. Since that time HP has been coming coming through with an axe and chopping EDS apart. It is not the same place it was when I joined 12 years ago, or even 1 year ago. The first big downside is HP came in and cut everyones base salary by 5%. Even though the company reported a profit. To pour salt in that wound all US based EDS employees got an addtional 10% pay cut. Again even though EDS is making a healthy profit. This has put quite a hardship on my personal finances as my salary is my total compensation. And my moral and drive to give 100 and even 110% effort is in the tank. HP touts is it a pay for performance company but nowhere is my compensation plan does it state what goals I need to meet. I am in a billable, client facing role and work my butt off nights and weekends and I am not holding my breath on getting any type of performance bonus to make up for the paycuts.

Advice to Management

Remeber the little guys, the ones out in front of clients eveyday, the ones who do all the real work for the company which allows you to get your healthy bonus and stock options. I have no issue with large executive bonus, but it is a slap in the face when my total compensation gets cut by 15% and you still get ungodly amounts of money in your pockets.