Electronic Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Meg Whitman,

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Gained good experience and exposure; met good people; development (in 22 reviews)

• Many opportunities to work with new technologies, and to move around within the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 25 reviews)

• Got to be ready to work hard and long hours (in 15 reviews)

1. "subpar pay from a global company does not make a good place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Winchester, KY
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Winchester, KY

Pros

It is a stepping stone to a better job. The only benefit to working in this center is the experience on your resume.

Cons

Grossly underpaid. When confronted about pay rates, management uses lies/disinformation to get you off the topic. They ignore cost of living concerns, and provide false information about cost of living in regards to pay. A popular comment from management is "Good luck finding anywhere else around here that pays this much." That is irrelevant. They're underpaying because they can. Raises are few and far in between, and are abyssmal at best. Upon receiving a "promotion", I was told that I would not be given the actual title of my new position, as they would then have to up my pay grade. I had come to accept responses like this by this time, and hoped I would at least get a little more on my next raise as a "reward". Come to find out my "reward" was a 3% raise. 3%, when I'd gotten 5% the year before, with no promotion or extraordinary accomplishments. In the 5 years that I've worked at EDS, I've gotten 3 raises.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are unhappy. Yes, the area is a lower income area, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable to underpay for positions by as much as is the current trend. $20,000/yr for a $50,000/yr positions is not acceptable. Subpar raises and rewards that are few and far inbetween is not acceptable. Lying to your employees to get them off the subject of more pay is astonishing.

"Pathetic company"

Former Employee - Service Delivery Director in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Director in Detroit, MI

Pros

Actually, couldn't come up with one single one. The only reason I started working there was because I thought it was a global, mature company that was well respected in the industry for it's delivery quality and had established processes.

Cons

Disingenuous, indentured servitude mentality, somewhat racist and an overall immoral company. What I saw was outright raping of the client where the same resource was triple or quadruple billed to the same client. The senior management bet on large company clients compartmentalized enough not to realize that they were paying for the same resource many times over. When caught by someone at GMAC's insurance division, the EDS Client Executive quickly gave a $400,000 reduction in the bill. The invoice settlement was quick because senior management did not want the client to find out that some of the same resources were also doing work on another GSC for GMAC's parent at that time.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more truthful, more compassionate and don't abuse your client and milk them for money.

3. "The WORST company I've EVER worked for"

Current Employee - Information Analyst in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Information Analyst in Cary, NC

Pros

The paycheck and only the paycheck. Well, I have a few good coworkers.

Cons

Let me count the ways:

Layoffs
    Very few raises
    Small raises when the occur
    No bonuses. Unless you're an exec.
    No promotions. Unless you're the CEO's son. 3 promotions in ONE year.
    Only training is web based. Better than it use to be but not the same a in person technical training
    You're just a "resource" here
    Worthless managers
    ANCIENT employee benefits systems (CAS)
    Employees are being forced to work from an office even if they have NO contact with anyone there.
    Executives who don't give a DAMN about employees. Just how can they fatten their compensation
    Off shoring
    Layoffs, did I mention layoffs.

Advice to Management

Take this job and shove it! Just keep taking, one day there will nothing left. Of course, you'll be gone with you're tens of Millions by then. So, what the hell!

4. "Work environment is full of inconsistencies and lack of leadership"

Former Employee - Human Resources Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Pros

Did allow flexibility within my position

Cons

lack of communication, often given more than you can handle just so they don't have to try and find someone new to train

Advice to Management

Some of them are competent...but the bad ones outnumber the good

5. "Why EDS is underperforming"

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Location. Relativelt better salary than the Dallas market.

Cons

Poor leadership. Too much politics. Huge organization.

Advice to Management

Focus on incentive structure

6. "Sales driven, at most any cost."

Current Employee - Sr in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sr in Plano, TX

Pros

Salary, reputation with large IT oriented organization. If you like a sales driven environment, this is the place for you.

Cons

Pressure to sell, regardless of one's positon. Work is frequently done to create more work. I've never heard the words, customer sensitivity.Narrow perspectives of a large number of workforce. Employees have few interests beyond IT related issues. Provide safe solutions, but creative solutions seldom come.

Advice to Management

Reward risk, not just money making endeavors. Fund some radical new "outside the proverbial box" box. Rely less on computer services to employees, and provide face to face services. While benefits are ok, requiring employees to fund many of their own business tools--cell phone, home LAN lines, long distance lines, answering machines. I'd encourage more dollars spent on training, development. The organization has the developmental systems, but then does not fund the opportunities. For instance, 40 hours of training is required, but few groups and teams have funding for the developmental for the training experiences.

7. "EDS and other American Companies need to cut CEOs salaries."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI

Pros

Between the time frame of Dick Brown and Ron Rittenmeyer, EDS was led by an old EDSer and returned to some of the "old school" train of thought. However, once Mike Jordan left as CEO and Ron Rittenmeyer was put in place, the employees began to suffer because "off shore" is the way to go in his view and I am now an unemployed american worker.

Cons

Ron Rittenmeyer and his leadership choices.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to kill of middle class america and learn to live within a reasonable salary. No CEO desearves the money that American CEOs earn.

8. "Every Day Sucks"

Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst/Programmer in Detroit, MI

Pros

The only reason to work for EDS is to get your first experience in IT. Get a few years, then go somewhere else where you will get treated fairly.

Cons

It is a hostile environment. There is an us versus them mentality between management and emmployees. The worst thing about management is they have no morals. They will cheat and lie to employees, and customers, if that is what is needed to make money.

A good example, when they fired thousands in 2002, they cancelled the existing severance policy just before the firings. The existing policy gave 1 week severance for every uear of service. So people with 20 or 25 years, were promised 20 to 25 weeks of severance pay, but instead got 4 weeks of severance - only if they signed an agreement to never sue EDS. After this mass firing, EDS reinstitutued the 1 week for every year of service severance. Talk about lack of morals! (Then they fired the then CEO, after he ran the stock down from around $60/share to $11/share, and gave him a $51 Million dollar severance. This tells you all you need to know about who the company takes care of).

EDS is also working feverishly to offshore IT work. They view employees as an expense, and are always trying to replace you with cheaper, offshore, labor. They already have about 30,000 employees in India, and are trying to increase that to 45,000. They used to actually brag that they payed an average 5% less than their competition (an elitist attitidue).

They look down on employees, and treat them with disrespect. They will expect you to give up your life to work for the company, whether it is to complete their understimated projects, or be on call to fix their buggy systems. They like to say you need to 'do whatever it takes' to get the job done.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't waste mt breath, or time, giving them advice - as it would be a waste of effort. The problem with this company starts at the top, and worms its way down the ranks. Senior Management know exactly what they are doing - trying to squeeze after last dime out of their customers, and employees, in order to give themselves larger rewards.

9. "Finally free from the Chains"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Flint, MI

Pros

I just happen to be out of work 23 years ago & started working there; I didnt leave because I was getting paid. I received no encouragement from managers to get advanced training till I had been there 15 years, at that time I was alread in my late 40 yrs & didnt want to leave. When EDS offered a ERO last fall I jumped on the plan. I am now working as a contractor for a hospital in Ann Arbor & I love it.

Cons

Managers are always backstabbing you & throwing workers under the bus just to save a dollar. They dont understand who they are getting rid of & what idots they are promoting to backfill. Many times the replacement worker has no experience has been feed a line that he/she can do anything. The workers left now have to do their own work & correct all the errors the replacement workers create. Then EDS cant say no to GM; have sent jobs overseas (best shore) & these workers have no idea how to support the product. OnStar is now being support at a Call Center in the Phillippines, and soon Malayasia.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Now that EDS has been bought by HP do you really think thing will change?

10. "EDS - Every Day Sucks"

Current Employee - Consultant in Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Camp Hill, PA

Pros

Get time off when needed for personal reasons. Ok, vacation time. Lots of very good workers still with the company.

Cons

No respect toward employees. No worthwhile training available. Senior management is only interested in making huge dollars; don't care what happens to the company, clients or investors. Benefits suck. More and more jobs being moved off shore. The bean counters run this company. Cannot even get office supplies anymore. Now that a merger with HP is in the works EDS is looking for anyway to cut cost to make sure the execs get their big payday. Remote management does what it can but for the most part they do not have any authority.

Advice to Management

Start treating the people that really do the work with some respect and start paying fairly. Stop exporting jobs off shore; you are killing this company. The BOD should be separated from the executives.