Electronic Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Electronic Data Systems Reviews

Pros
  • Gained good experience and exposure; met good people; development (in 22 reviews)

• Many opportunities to work with new technologies, and to move around within the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 25 reviews)

• Got to be ready to work hard and long hours (in 14 reviews)

"Does EDS care about its employees at all?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Pros

My team was moved from Symantec to EDS a year ago. I suppose the pro would be that I still work with many of them, and they're great people.

Cons

There is nobody around me who works for EDS who isn't completely demoralized. The company has delivered pay cut after pay cut (some in excess of 30%). Some of us have literally been told that now matter how we perform, we will be getting more pay cuts next year. Also, for an IT services company, wading through EDS's IT is like pulling teeth; it lierally takes me days every time I need to figure out how to do something like signing up for benefits online. Some of us haven't even been told what our job titles are.

And since being bought out by HP, it has only gotten worse.

In short, there is nobody who works within 50 feet of me who are not (sometimes desperately) looking for another job. Avoid this company at all costs.

Advice to Management

Why would I give feedback to the leadership? It is clear that they either don't listen to us or don't care.

"Farewell to an American Institution"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Hopewell, NJ
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Hopewell, NJ

Pros

Some intelligent hard-working people that are fun to work with.

Demand for services from HP/EDS likely to increase as companies continue to out-source.

A lot of potential for the company to do great things once the obliteration o f EDS by HP is completed

Cons

Very disorganized due to absorption of EDS into HP – a lot of conflicting direction coming from different levels in management

for an IT services company their internal IT is terrible

a tendency to “spin” their communications instead of just stating what they mean.

Travel restricted, training dollars non-existent.

A lot of time is wasted on lame training that has no professional value.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on making employees your collaborators instead of current practice of making them adversaries. Employees are not children to be cared for; they are intelligent individuals that understand the business environment and want to succeed.

"EDS Employee Moral at an All-Time Low"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

There is very little good to say about EDS these days. EDS was once was a company that I was very proud to work for, but now it is just a paycheck until I find something better.

Cons

Our pay has become stagnant, as well as out ability to move to different organizations within the company. Management has become numb to our concerns & just gives us the same canned answer day after day... "If you don't like it, feel free to leave."

Advice to Management

it is time to stop worrying about the investors & start worrying about the employees. Great employees will take care of the investors, but not if they all leave for greener pastures.

5. "Get it together EDS!!"

Current Employee - IT Systems Technician in Camp Hill, PA
    Current Employee - IT Systems Technician in Camp Hill, PA

Pros

The people can be quite fun to work with when we are not being overworked.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid, never aware of goals or what we are to working towards. Long term, short term, ther is never a drive to work towards any goals. Management has no idea what is going on. Things change so quickly, and our tools never work. Every day something is always broken.

Advice to Management

Learn to hire seasoned managers, who understand how to work a team captain/leader. My boss is younger than I am and has no clue what he is doing. Learn to reward your employees. No one gives a rats ass there now, because all you do is pump more work out us daily. Stop the pay cuts. Your comany does well so what do you do, lower everyone's pay. Way to go. If the economy did not suck so bad, I'd a left a year ago.

"HP isn't helping"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Team members and peers will go the extra mile for you and take pride in the quality of thier work.

Cons

Executive leadership, especially now under Mark Hurd and HP are singularly focused on shareholder value, not stakeholder value, regardless of the lipservice paid to caring about employees.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees, or they will leave when times get better. Forcing pay cuts, unequally on North American employees but not other country employees due to local laws and telling us it will save jobs, and then resuming work force reductions a couple months later destroyed any credibility. Equally, telling employees in April that there would be a forced shutdown the last two weeks of the year, and that we had to save 8 days of vacation, then performing work force reductions a couple months later and not paying of unused vacation is just plain unethical.

"Poor excuse for an American corporation"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Plano, TX

Pros

Allowed some folks to work from home

Cons

Poor management, unclear direction, constantly changing direction

Advice to Management

Stop worrying so much about looking good and covering your rear and try to do what you were hired to do...support your team and do what it takes to help them do their jobs better

"Every day it gets worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Pros

Excellent colleagues, good job-related information sources and systems, freedom to work from home, professional atmosphere, reasonable and personable team and division management.

Cons

Upper management (HP's leaders) utterly focused on numbers and clueless regarding people care or corporate culture. They are presiding over a low-morale bureaucracy of their own making. I have zero trust in HP's leaders and the top EDS leader who reports to them.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at what you're doing to your people and what that will do to the company's long-term success. It's not a pretty picture.

"EDS was my nightmare"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Tulsa, OK

Pros

For a while, it was OK - after Dick Brown and before Rittenmeyer sold out to HP.

Cons

forced bell curves, must be x number of poor performers. Even if there aren't. Stopped giving raises. Cut pay.

Advice to Management

fess up to your customers that you are inept and get out of the way.

"Every Day Sucks"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Plano, TX

Pros

Not a whole lot of good things to say, that is why i'm out here reading reviews to get a new job

Cons

bad managers who will keep their foot on your head to stay a float as the work force reductions happen.

Advice to Management

no real advice for them. I'm not a huge fan of the management so I guess I would tell them to listen to open their eyes

"Joe Eazor wake up and smell the coffee."

Current Employee - Systems Management in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Management in Dallas, TX

Pros

work from home
    new hp laptop

Cons

Pay cut for doing a good job
    having to help cluess Staff from argentina
    having a unix staff that is so understaffed it not funny
    Argentina staff (need I say more)
    a CEO that has no clue of running an IT company gee why did you buy one?
    A CEO that makes millions but is requiring staff around the workd to take paycutts ro else.
    A CEO named Mark Hurd
    A general manger named Joe Eazor neew I am say more?

Advice to Management

Joe Eazor please please wake up. When was the last time you spoke
    with someone on your staff, one that does real work and not one that brown noses up to you?