Electronic Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Electronic Data Systems Reviews

Pros
  • Gained good experience and exposure; met good people; development (in 22 reviews)

• Many opportunities to work with new technologies, and to move around within the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 25 reviews)

• Got to be ready to work hard and long hours (in 14 reviews)

1. "Outsourced services which are not practiced internally."

Former Employee - Infrastructure Analyst, in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Analyst, in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Remote web training is available to employees. I also enjoyed meeting and working with other technically experienced and competent employees.

Cons

Many of the web courses are outdated or poorly assembled. Re: technically experienced, none of them were in management, or remained in management long.

Advice to Management

Perform an audit of services and positions starting with the top. For each position: What are they responsible for? Have they delivered? What is the measure of satisfaction of the front-line employees? There appears to be many more managers in the organization than necessary. I also find it rather strange that outsourced/contracted service companies provide "expertise" in fields that they themselves are not experts. For a technology services company, everyone should have an technology background [I don't know how someone can make decisions without knowing what is technically feasible and what isn't]. And you need to provide technical training to your staff so that they can continue to provide value to your clients [How else would they get trained? Trial and error on your clients?]

2. "HP and EDS Killed Towers Perrin Outsourcing"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

They had really good benefits. Now that they've been acquired by HP, I do not know how their benefits will be except that they no longer have a pension plan, only a 401(k).

Cons

There are over 300,000 employees now in the combined HP and EDS, and it feels like every employee is infinitely replaceable by cheaper workers in other countries. Also, it seems that they have been laying off the more experienced, higher paid, employees instead of the phone representatives with high school educations. I know that with the last layoff, all of the people I know that were laid off had graduate degrees.

Advice to Management

Don't lay off ALL of the experienced people. The cuts have been so severe at EDS since HP came that almost all of the career-oriented people are gone.

"SHAME on EDS for how they cancelled severances for fired employees!"

Former Employee - Analyst Programmer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst Programmer in Detroit, MI

Pros

The only reason to work for EDS is the paycheck, and the benefits.

Cons

I am currenly looking at the buyouts that the auto companies are giving their employees, and comparing them to how EDS treated employees that they let go some years ago.

SHAME on EDS for what they did to them. EDS reduced severance payouts that should have been anywhere up to 26 weeks (for employees with 26 years experience) to only 4 weeks of severance. (Prior to the Reduction In Force, the official policy was 1 week of severance for every year on the job.) EDS stopped helath plan participation on the day employees were fired.

I know people at Chrysler, that with just over 5 years experince with the company, are being offered buyouts of over $50,000, plus a free vehicle! Plus continuation of medical coverage for 6 months. More senior employees are getting even better buyouts.

Consider that when EDS fired thousands back in 2001 and 2002 that EDs was still making decent profits (just not as much as IBM), Consider that currently Chrysler is on the verge of filing bankruptucy in the next 6 months - if they don't get government loans. This comparison lets you can see just how little EDS values it's employees!

Avoid this company at all costs. BTW, HP now owns EDS.

Advice to Management

Pray for forgiveness for yourselves - you're going to need it.

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Denver, CO

Pros

It's a job. There are plenty of good people here trapped like you.

Cons

There is a complete lack of respect for the employees from senior management. People are treated like expendable dixie cups. DO NOT work here if you have any other choice! It's a miserable place to work. There are exceptions but my experience appears to be similiar to others at EDS in totally different areas. I can't recommend the quality of the work either since their continous, haphazard cost cutting has affects customer satisfaction and quality. This is a technology company that has neglected their employees and their training to the point that it's little more than a shell.

Advice to Management

Recognize that this is a service company and that failure to invest in your employees is corporate suicide. Look at the long term instead of the temporary benefits of cost cutting critical skills. Failure to treat your employees like the assets they are is not only bad business, it's unethical. Invest in your employees or you have nothing to offer your customers.

5. "There is no way to grow or get raises regularly within EDS"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Herndon, VA

Pros

There are very little reasons to work for EDS, the only thing I can think of was the plenty of vacation time up front . Most employees get 3 weeks of vacation on their first day. EDS tries to advertise to their employees that they are one of the best places to work, but they are wrong. They even try to get their employees to vote them into an external online poll for best places to work but most people just laugh at it. Overall, EDS sucks and I would not recommend anyone work at EDS since filling out this portion of the survey was very hard for me.

Cons

Raises are very far apart, most employees get it after 18 months and they are very little, which is ridiculous. After 3 years of working you barely get 2 raises. EDS should learn how to compensate their workers. There is no way to grow within EDS and they do not care what kind of education you have when considering a promotion. You have to jump through hoops before anyone would even inform you how to get a promotion and then they basically tell you its no way it is going to happen.

Advice to Management

Give raises and promotions more often

"Every Day Sucks"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Plano, TX

Pros

Office was close to my house.

Cons

Rules, more rules, and even more rules. Backstabbing employees jockeying for position. Doesn't feel like a real job, more like a "Lord of the Flies" remake. EDS might be good for certain political types who want to slowly climb the ladder in a company with a very strong culture.

Advice to Management

I think they know what they are doing, I just don't agree with it.

"EDS - "the writing is on the wall""

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

There are none really. I would say the oppty to work from home when I need to. I would say benefits are ok, and in line with the industry standards. People you work with is another good point. There are some great smart knowlegable people working.

Cons

No communication, organization, raises, feedback on performance. Losing clients left and right. The overlying threat of layoffs have folks scared. You never know when you are going to get the call to come to HR. People have packed up their desks taken all personal belongs home. Moral is at an alltime low. When the announcement was made of the mass layoffs, no communication as to the potential direct impact to us. It was the most unproductive day in a long time. People are just waiting to be layed off. They are like, pick me! give me the severance package.

Advice to Management

Get a clue...you have the wrong people in key positions. You have people sitting around doing nothing, on the internet all day. Then you have staff clearly in the wrong position. You do not communicate to staff, so no one knows what is going on.

8. "disappointment"

Former Employee - Advanced Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Advanced Business Analyst in Tulsa, OK

Pros

great for a first job not a career. The pay is very low and the stress is extremely high for jobs of this caliber. I would not recommend this for anyone.

Cons

you're a number -horrible management. Ron R. has run this company into the ground what a way to go! I hope others can gain some useful insight. What ever happened to getting paid well for a job well done and the best shore initiative really drives down the moral of those who work in the states. Why is it such a dirty word to be an American company. I don't know anymore.But then again who does know these days? Who?

Advice to Management

listen to your employees. NOt much else to say.

"Worst company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in San Diego, CA

Pros

The lack of accountability and for me a good commute.

Cons

The compensation. I recently learned, the hard way, that the salary you get when you are hired is pretty much it for your career. Sure, every 15 months you get a few bucks but you get absolutely nothing when you are promoted if your current salary overlaps the range of your new position. So essentially I earn as much as 25% less than new people hired into the same position I am in.

Advice to Management

Do away with the policy of not giving out raises with promotions. You should not be punished for loyalty to the company.

"EDS Management needs to wake up and start listening to their employees"

Former Employee - Service Center Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Service Center Analyst in Plano, TX

Pros

The best reasons to work at EDS is to earn a somewhat decent paycheck, have the ability to work either a condensed shift, flextime, or telecommute, and receive medical benefits. EDS also provides free online courses to take, but you have to do these at work. At one time, EDS was a great company to work for, but now, it's just a place to work while you look for a better job. There are some great people that still work at EDS, but are stuck in their job because of the current job market. There really isn't too many good reasons to work at EDS except for earning a paycheck. Oh, and you get vacation. Other than that, EDS basically sucks.

Cons

The lousy management! My manager was located in Michigan while I was in Plano, TX. I never met him and only spoke to him maybe two to three times a year and that was to conduct my performance review. Senior management was also out of tune with their employees. They do not associate with their employees and there is little to no communication from them. They have no idea how bad morale is there and probably do not care. It's very difficult to get a raise, there are no bonuses, and there is no recognition for performance. The employees are overworked and understaffed and this causes a conflict when trying to take vacation. No time for lunch, unless you are a manager, then you can take all the time that you want. I had not been able to take a lunch for the last 4 years due to lack of coverage, but management didn't care.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP and talk to your employees and listen to them! Learn how to lead by example and then your employees will start to respect you. Tell them what a great job they are doing instead of focusing only on their mistakes.