Electronic Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Electronic Data Systems Reviews

Pros
  • Great work life balance was a plus (in 17 reviews)

• Gained good experience and exposure; met good people; development (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 25 reviews)

• Got to be ready to work hard and long hours (in 14 reviews)

1. "Senior Infrastructure Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist in Tulsa, OK

Pros

Work from home 2 day's a weeks.

Cons

80hr work weeks, No leadership at the account levels. No raises in 3 years. Pay cuts and layoffs

Advice to Management

Take some off your executive bonuses and reward the people left. They are your biggest EDS fans and are busting their butts to make it through these tough times. Its time to downsize the account executives, You are paying these guys way to much money when the account managers do all the work and would suffice. Also take a look at the administrative positions. You can afford to let anymore technical people go with out seeing it hit your account profit margins.

"Objective one = Low Cost Provider. Objective Two = provide the minimal quality level to get by."

Former Employee - Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Leader in Chicago, IL

Pros

Get some basic experience for a resume

Cons

For those assimilated by the EDS Borg via outsourcing, the experience is miserable. You are quickly told that quality is second to providing "service" at the lowest cost possible. They underbid contracts to get the deal, then work the employees to death at minimal compensation.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your employees. Have some prode in your deloverables and look beyond the $$.

3. "Watch out US EDS employees..."

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Troy, MI

Pros

Working with sharp technical people, nice benefits, fairly stable job.

Cons

Takes forever and a day to get decisions made, really to get anything done. Too much bureaucracy. A good ol' boys club at the top. Can't get ahead no matter how good you are. You have to leave and come back to get anywhere - so they say anyway. HP merger treating EDS US employess like numbers/statistics; laying off and cutting pay with no regard to how valuable an individual employee may be.

Advice to Management

Senior management probably wouldn't listen or it would get lost in the shuffle, so I'd save my breath.

"Top talent will always leave when you threaten cuts, and arbitrarily decrease pay"

Current Employee - Senior Information Specialist in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Information Specialist in Sacramento, CA

Pros

At this point I'm not sure I can articulate any reason that I would consider best. I suppose it still looks respectable on the resume. I do enjoy most of the collegues I have had, but most of the top talent has left (including myself at the end of the month, I wish it was part of the HP Work force reduction so I could receive a severance).

Cons

They are to many to list. Poor leadership, nepotism, not involving the technical architects who actually know how to implement production business early enough in the process. %5 pay cut, then 10% pay cut, it's rediculous.

Advice to Management

It's not your lack luster performers that leave when you cut pay, it's the top talent. This causes a vicious cycle that leads accounts to fail to exceed client expections. Which inevitable leads them to take their business elsewhere.

6. "Turn out the lights..."

Former Employee - Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Good people on the team; benefits are OK, at least for now before becoming same HP. I enjoyed working for my team and felt I was supported by first-line managers. Also enjoyed working with teams on a global basis.

Cons

The problem was with upper management. Most acquisitions are not good for the rank and file and it's annoying when management tries to pretend all will be better, more opportunity, etc. Why pretend? HP has ruined the company. The first 5% salary cut was hard, but at least it was across all of HP and EDS. The extra 10% cut in April was only on EDS in the US--not fair and did not stop the layoffs. Most people were livid, but had little choice because of the bad economy. As soon as times are better, those few left will also hit the road.

Advice to Management

None to give-it's over.

7. "EDS used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

There are some "old school" EDSers that are trying to keep the old EDS spirit alive. This includes very personable interactions with management, taking care of people, just being a good place to grow and work.

Cons

The folks that are left with the "old EDS" mentality are few and far between. The ones that are left struggle to do small things such as lunch out, trinkets, or any form of recognition since it has all been shut down. Overall compensation is flat and advancement opportunity minimal.

Advice to Management

Pay Attention to your employees. Not Managers that tell you what you want to hear.

8. "EDS used to be great... HP is destroying us."

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Dallas, TX

Pros

The people I work with a are great, my job is challening and I enjoy what I do. My direct management is very flexiable with my scheduling and allows work from home when needed. This is a big positive in my book. There are not many positives now though since HP came in.

Cons

EDS used to be a great place to work before the merger with HP. Since that time HP has been coming coming through with an axe and chopping EDS apart. It is not the same place it was when I joined 12 years ago, or even 1 year ago. The first big downside is HP came in and cut everyones base salary by 5%. Even though the company reported a profit. To pour salt in that wound all US based EDS employees got an addtional 10% pay cut. Again even though EDS is making a healthy profit. This has put quite a hardship on my personal finances as my salary is my total compensation. And my moral and drive to give 100 and even 110% effort is in the tank. HP touts is it a pay for performance company but nowhere is my compensation plan does it state what goals I need to meet. I am in a billable, client facing role and work my butt off nights and weekends and I am not holding my breath on getting any type of performance bonus to make up for the paycuts.

Advice to Management

Remeber the little guys, the ones out in front of clients eveyday, the ones who do all the real work for the company which allows you to get your healthy bonus and stock options. I have no issue with large executive bonus, but it is a slap in the face when my total compensation gets cut by 15% and you still get ungodly amounts of money in your pockets.

"Joe Eazor cuts the workforce pay, while getting over 400% bonus."

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Specialist in Plano, TX

Pros

A variety of things to do and learn. If you work hard you can go through the ranks You are surrounded by smart people and in most positions you can learn from those people. In addition, you can also mentor othes. The people (non-management) are exceptional people. To work with them is a privilege.

Cons

Below average compensation. Joe Eazor cuts the workforce pay, while getting over 400% bonus. Even Hurd, Livermore and the rest of these execs get big bonuses over and over, while cutting the people who deliver by 5%, 10% and 15%. If you look at their total compensation package, their pay was cut by less than 1%

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about your bonuses and worry about the people who deliver.

10. "An HP Company....thank goodness!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Due to the HP acquisition, it will look great on your resume. EDS has employees whom have been with the company well over ten years and are willing to share their experiences, assist in navigating through the multi-layered, top-heavy management team.

Cons

Lack of innovation in company strategy
    Lack of professional development
    Top-heavy senior leadership, many of whom should have been gone a long time, yet somehow survived the rounds of lay-offs

Advice to Management

Lose the dead weight
    Bring in and retain more innovative leaders

11. "Not all change is good"

Former Employee - Senior Information Specialist in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Information Specialist in Auburn Hills, MI

Pros

Worked there for 23 years. Loved it as had lots of opportunities to learn (not as many when I left)

Cons

Sadly the company changed. No longer supports teamwork, pay for performance. It's run by check marks: (check: you entered your time); instead of getting the job done well.

Advice to Management

Look at what people produce