Electronic Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Electronic Data Systems Reviews

Pros
  • Gained good experience and exposure; met good people; development (in 22 reviews)

• Many opportunities to work with new technologies, and to move around within the company (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 25 reviews)

• Got to be ready to work hard and long hours (in 14 reviews)

1. "EDS (an HP company) is a good place to work for IT professionals"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Herndon, VA

Pros

EDS is a good company for someone with a technical background in the information technology field. You will learn and growth technically on areas that will make you more marketable in your profession and career path.

Cons

Like most large companies, EDS is very bureacratic with multiple layers of management chain and processes. It has a very centralized decision making from the corporate office whereas managers at the client account level are not empowered or trusted to make business decisions.

Advice to Management

I would recommend to the senior management at EDS to decentralize the decision making process on issues that should be managed at the account level.

2. "Be prepared for major upheaval within the company."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pontiac, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Pontiac, MI

Pros

The people are very knowlegeable and great to work with. My salary and benefits are pretty good even though salary and bonuses have been frozen for those of us doing the work (not management or sales).

Cons

Too many levels of management, management who do not know what their people do and do not appreciate the amount of work that they do. The expectation that every time someone is let go, someone else will pick it up -- and we usually do. Most of us are working much more than 40 hours a week. There is also the "forced" commutes now that they are closing buildings adding quite a bit of travel time and the thinking that because we are "leveraged" teams we all have to sit together - lack of recognition of our ability to work remotely even though we are a global company with global teams and customers.
    It cost around 100 million dollars for the top people to leave EDS when HP bought us and promptly announced that 24,000 people would be let go. And though this isn't just an EDS/HP problem, the amount of money that the top people make are way out of line with what the people doing the daily work make.
    Best shore is a concept that all are using but seems like a slap at those of us in the US - we have the talent and the expertise but that is no longer valued because we "make too much money".
    There is constant pink slipping of employees - morale is very low as you are constantly waiting for the tap on the shoulder telling you that you are no longer wanted. And the new compensation package is a joke - they keep you "working" for 60 days but take away all of your equipment and put the word out to other managers that if you are on the "list" they cannot hire you. And if you happen to find another position outside of the company in that 60 day period, they consider you have "quit" and refuse to pay you the rest of the compensation package. That is very unfair to those who have been let go.

Advice to Management

Relook at the compensation package and at the layers of management. Actually listen to your workers - they really do know what the customer needs and are more than willing to do what it takes to make the contracts work.

3. "I outgrew it and dislike it, but others stay there their entire careers."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seaside, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seaside, CA

Pros

If you like job security, EDS at a government account is for you. They don't like to move people around - rather, you'll get shoved into a specialization and if you show aptitude for it, you'll become THE expert, and you'll never be allowed to move because you are too valuable. It's steady, paced work. Never too fast, never uncertain.

Cons

Work becomes uninteresting. They aren't as interested in true quality of software products, obviously, because they don't recognize really good employees who do a lot of high quality work. It's normal for young, motivated, skilled and talented individuals to show up for less than a year and then move on to something better in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

When you lay people off, don't lay off key personnel whose work is integral to the government contract, even if you're looking to "eliminate positions" to "make things more efficient" because you'll be shooting yourselves in the foot. Again. Also, try recognizing the smart, talented, hardworking types more. Don't stifle their interest by keeping them locked into a single project. And give bonuses once in awhile, since you're stiffing on salary!

"Survivor mode = outlast WFR actions"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist in Tulsa, OK

Pros

There are opportunities to move to another group to broaden scope of experience.

Cons

The challenge today is the anxiety and apprehension of whether or not you will survive to see another week of employment. All due to the acquisition by HP and the increasing drive to offshore the basic jobs to India and Argentina. Unfortunately, we are seeing alot of work coming back that is either wrong or the 'Best Shore' folks state they do not know how to do. The people that are getting hired are quite personable, if sometimes difficult to understand on conferendce calls, but they are not trained to do the jobs for which they are hired and so we keep having to carry the load. Clients are not happy and yet there is not follow through on the intangible costs of all this rework.

Cost cutting just for the sake of improving the company balance sheet is insane and that is what appears to be happening.

Advice to Management

Actually talk to the front line managers to understand that just because you want them to meet cost reduction targets by WFR there is a consequence for doing it and it will directly impact the clients no matter that you like to say it will not.l

6. "On Wings of Eagles (or Turkeys)...EDS in need of a Ross Perot rescue mission..."

Current Employee - Advanced Systems Analyst in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Advanced Systems Analyst in South Florida, FL

Pros

i can only speak from the technical side of this company, not sales or any other division. it is my assumption, since EDS is a global company serving a global marketplace, that opportunities would be bountiful. however, it seems that there is a big push to consolodate many of the operational groups that were scattered around. i would still tell anyone who asked, that this could be the best reason to work here, that you could possibly find work in many major areas of the US, or even anywhere in the world, if you were interested in travel or working in some exotic locale.

Cons

lately it seems that there are nothing but downsides in the EDS workplace. i believe weve had 3 or 4 CEO's in as many years? with each new leadership change, comes a new or recycled philosophy in how employees are treated. 1 year there will be forced performance rankings, the next CEO abolishes the practice, the next one reinstates it, and round and round we go. throw into the mix the wage and bonus freeze over the past few years, the slow erosion of performance rewards and incentives and most recently the complete lack of spending at all, cant even get basic office supplies sent to me out in the field. yes, i currently work on a large EDS account, that has begun to close and phase out, (account was lost to IBM), but there are still hundreds of EDS people working on the account every day, and every day that goes by we feel more and more like the unwanted step-children.

Advice to Management

it has been people like me and all my top performing peers, working for you the past 10 years, that have made you shine to your senior leadership. it seems you have forgotten that. go out and visit in person, as many of your team as you can and let them know you still have their back and they still have your appreciative support (if in fact you do and they do)

7. "Not the company it used to be."

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Opportunity to travel and to try new things.

Cons

It is run by admin--very bureaucratic. Constant influx of subpar employees transitioned from new clients. Flavor of the month--no stability or direction.

Advice to Management

Need to understand whether we can really deliver on what we're selling--for example, small contract I worked on had many, many more reports than the Navy contract. We were unable to deliver and had dissatisfied client. No money or senior focus on the contract. Just signed out of fear that senior management would have knee-jerk reaction to our standing up for what our service offerings were.

8. "Get the experience and knowledge you want and then leave for a better company."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

With over 20 years with EDS, I can honestly say that the ability to manage your own career, make connections with other people and ability to move to new areas is great. You can go from a finance job to an HR job to a Consulting job and into an IT job based on your performance and ability to get the job done. Once you are in the door, the opportunities to move to new work at least every 18 months allows you to build your skills and knowledge.

Cons

They will eat you up and spit you out with out a second glance. All that hard work and effort does not create any type of loyalty to you as an employee. There may be a formal career development process, but leadership is non-existent in the support of it.

Advice to Management

If you want people to put out their best work, you have to treat them fairly and reward them with intrinsic rewards, not just the extrinsic rewards.

"Run, run away as fast as you can."

Former Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Detroit, MI

Pros

I learned a lot as it was a diversified workplace and almost everyone was great to work with. We had people from around the world working at the company and most were very skilled. The vacation and time off policies were very generous. If your client had the time off you did too, regardless of how much vacation you had. So if your client was off for the week of Christmas, you were too and it didn't count againt your vacation days. They used to send us for lots of training. I made many great personal and professional contacts. They tried to keep up with the latest technology.

Cons

Layoffs every year. I made it through 17 years and then my job was off shored to people I trained! Expected to be on call 24/7. Didn't stick up for employees when internal customers were abusive. Internal customers treated us like slaves and wer very abusive on conference calls in front of EDS managers who did nothing. Lots of management turnover. I had THREE new managers that i never even meet. My last manager quit and my senior manager used my 2007 review to write my 2008 review. I first met her at my 2008 review. My review rated me on job responsiblities that I wasn't doing anymore and hadn't for a year and a half.

Advice to Management

Stop giving bonuses when you are laying people off. Get some managers that have been trained to lead people.

"Congratulations Ron. Mission accomplished (at the expense of EDS employees)."

Former Employee - Information Analyst in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Information Analyst in Plano, TX

Pros

A great place to gain skills in transitioning jobs to offshore resources. Every project I was on in the past 6 years ad an aggressive offsoring policy. I was fortunate enough to be a Tech Lead and was spared the end effects. You are likely to work with some very talented people, the less talented have been let go or replaced "best-shore" workers.

Cons

Constantly looking over your shoulder to see if "today is your day". Moral is the lowest I have seen since coming to EDS 14 years ago. Anyne remaining has seen a multitude of talented employees escorted out the door, replaced by offshore resources.

Advice to Management

To late for advice. The writing is on the wall for the majority of Plano EDS'rs.

"EDS - Over the hill and accelerating downward"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Until the HP transition has been fully completed, the best reason to work at EDS is a paycheck. For those who survive the transition period, there may be a great deal of opportunity, if HP culture encourages free agency among the talented employees. One of the reasons EDS once was a great place to work was the opportunity to move around and augment your experience with new learnings and disciplines. At the present time, however, only those at the upper levels who have been granted positions in the newco can see far enough to assess opportunities inside of HP. The rest of us can only wait and see.

Cons

Constant possibility of being RIF'd, very low morale, disconnected leadership team, lack of character among upper management.

Advice to Management

Live for one year under the same rules and expectations that you've imposed on other employees.