Electronic Data Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Electronic Data Systems Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

Pros
  • Great work life balance was a plus (in 17 reviews)

• Gained good experience and exposure; met good people; development (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and lack of strong sales (in 25 reviews)

• Got to be ready to work hard and long hours (in 14 reviews)

1. "EDS Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

EDS is excellent place to work. It really *is* the best first & third job you'll ever have! OK, so for me it's the best 35th and 37th job I ever had... When HP announced that we'd all be getting a 5% pay cut, I was gratified to see that the CEO of HP took a 20% cut. Those of us who work here would have left if he hadn't.

Cons

EDS is a HUGE company and "things" can get lost in there, sometimes. You can, of course, use this to your advantage, but as often as not, things can become difficult - such as when you have a technical problem and get sent to three conflicting help desks (not that I'm ranting or anything ... ). And, now that EDS is part of HP, the bigness isn't going to be an easier problem.

Advice to Management

Good job with the pay cut stuff. We all appreciate that you took a bigger hit that we did. Those of us marching to your commands weren't responsible for the direction the company took, we took an appropriate hit for our "involvement".

2. "My EDS review"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Herndon, VA

Pros

great Company to work for if you want get global exp on variety of technology implementation projects across multiple industries and verticals. less consulting more implementation centric .. great colleagues - excellent people care leaders.. decent benefits

Cons

promotes complacency .. limited growth if you are a techie ... used to be top heavy .. too many resource mgrs and project maangers - not pay masters! extremely process oriented .may get frustrated if you are a high peformer and loking for a faster growth in consulting career!

Advice to Management

strongly recommend getting rid of mediocore performers and middle management and incent technical folks with business acumen towards consulting leadership positions

3. "Now is the time to listen, not just issue decisions"

Current Employee - Sales Support Professional in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Support Professional in Plano, TX

Pros

Being with HP opens up a world of opportunities, with new business sectors and job types available. HP's increased diversity with the addition of EDS makes HP a stronger contender against IBM and Dell.

Cons

At the moment HP-EDS employees are working under a dark cloud due to the constant drumbeat of hints, statements, and rumors of layoffs. One never knows if next Monday will be another Black Monday. It's maddening to see EDS targeted as the focus of yet another round of layoffs, almost in the same breath with statements that EDS' strong performance helped HP offset poor results in its other business units.

Advice to Management

Please show a commitment to listening to the people, often touted as "our greatest asset." But right now it seems as though upper management is in its castle issuing dire edicts rather than listening. Now is the time to find out what the company's people are dealing with and the obstacles they're finding to better results.

"EDS - OK"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Good processes that result in quality work.

Cons

Not innovative. When you get additional responsibilities including a title change, compensation lags months to years behind.

Advice to Management

The best people leave to make more money elsewhere. Compensate better and it will benefit the company as a whole.

"Senior leadership doesn't care about their employees"

Current Employee - Business Services Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Services Analyst

Pros

In its heyday, job opportunities were good. Now, so many jobs have been cut that there are very few opportunities.

Cons

They've cut some many people that everyone left is overworked, and cannot perform their jobs well due to lack of time. Also, we live in fear of the unrelenting job cuts. This caused lack of motivation and even depression.

Too many jobs are being shipped overseas in a "best shore" effort. It would be nice if the USA was considered the "best shore" as it was in the past. Our helpdesks, and those we provide for our customer, are based in India, and are little more than a call routing service. They are mockingly referred to as the Helpless Desks. They cannot solve anything more then the most trivial problems. Everything else is referred to second level support, which takes days for resolution.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more, and give them a chance for a personal life. Also, quit cutting pay...costs are increasing and we shouldn't have to struggle to make ends meet.

7. "EDS is now a HP company."

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Detroit, MI

Pros

Challenging (you sometimes have the opportunity to sink or swim on a project), opportunity to advance your career (you can be a hero if you can swim).

Cons

Constantly re-organizing (I had 6 managers in one 2 year period), getting lost in the shuffle because of their size (I went 3.5 years one time without a salary increase), beaurocratic (lots of layers and processes), difficult to locate a specific group or service for a customer.

Advice to Management

Develop a plan and stick to it for more than a year. In their desire to chase the Industry and secure business, executives are processed through a revolving door and companies are purchased.

8. "After the integration between HP and EDS, I hope the benefits and salaries improve for all deserved employees."

Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Specialist

Pros

The employee has contact with the largest company in the world and there is a fair process to develop the career.

Cons

The benefits package is not very good.

Advice to Management

It is necessary to overcome internal process to try to keep the talents in the company giving them the deserved and angreed increase salary.

"EDS Is What You Make of It"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

Pros

It's a large corporation so the job opportunities are available to get a wide variety of knowledge. When I was looking for more finance experience, for example, my people care manager helped find an assignment that included budget forecasting and analysis, cost allocation, and global tax regulations.

There are years of expertise and institutional memory within the employees of EDS. I led project teams comprised of employees who had worked for EDS for 20, 25, even 35 years. Here I was with 10 years in, and I was considered the "rookie!" EDS is the pioneer in IT service, and these folks who have been around for so long know what they are doing.

One of the things I like about EDS is that it is pretty good about weeding out the lazy and incompetent folks. You didn't last more than a couple years if you couldn't pull your weight. Given the size of the company, I was impressed that so few lazy employees slid through the system (though there are definitely some that did, but that's anywhere!).

Benefits are strong. Matching 401K plan, medical costs less than competitors, and it has a pension plan (though that may be eliminated once HP corporate standards are in place). And most managers are great about time off and flexible schedules when needed.

Cons

In recent years, job security has become more and more of an issue. It seems like there are workforce reductions twice a year over the last 5 years. This year, of course, it was more pronounced, but that had less to do with the economy and more to do with HP's acquisition of EDS.

If you don't like potentially hopping from assignment to assignment, this may not be the place for you. Sure, some folks get on a client account (GM, American Airlines, federal government, etc.) and stay there for their career, but most of us move around from client to client based on the current needs. Especially as a project manager with the Project Management Delivery organization, you may be on a 6-month gig for a large client, then it ends, and you move to the next gig. You and your manager have to find another assignment for you to go on. There's no "no bench" policy, but obviously the longer you are on the bench, the more apt you are to be in the first round of a workforce reduction.

If you are the kind of person that wants to be a big fish in a small pond, this isn't the place for you. EDS itself is 100,000 strong globally, and being added to an already huge HP, the parent company is now 300,000 employees (give or take 50000 or so, depending on recent layoffs).

And the traditional EDS saying is true: It is the best first and third job. If you are an entry-level, recent college grad, and you start with EDS, the best career advice is to leave it after a few years, go work somewhere else to be paid market value, and then return. EDS is not known for rewarding current employees with competitive wages (It does not have a corporate bonus or raise schedule). It takes leaving and returning to get what you deserve.

Advice to Management

Because of the sheer size, it seems nearly impossible to have a voice. You are given "voice of the employee" surveys and performance reviews, but if you aren't in Plano, TX, you aren't going to be able to present ideas to senior leadership.

10. "EDS was a nice place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

In my job, it was interesting work that changed all the time.

Cons

It was difficult to have a people manager that really worked with management to help my advancement. People were hired in from other companies with a prestige name, even if the person wasn't prestige, and received higher pay to match a previous title. At the same time long term employees didn't receive raises when their titles went up.

Advice to Management

No feedback

11. "EDS great place to learn."

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The ability to learn multiple technologies and work in different business field supporting clients. EDS was very much into training and building relationships with clients. The ability to control your own destiny was great at EDS and the ability to move about the country were good on the account side.

Cons

Moving around the country after a period of time get old expecially with kids. The change from account driven responsibility and freedom to do your own thing to being controlled by corporate I thought was the worst thing that happened at EDS. Also if you get stuck in Plano then they always seamed to limit your technology that you would get to use.

Advice to Management

Take a look and the history of what built EDS and get back to it.