Elemental Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sam Blackman

1. "Great execution and possibilities at expense of balance"

Former Employee - Marketing in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Marketing in Portland, OR

I worked at Elemental Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great leadership
    - Seemingly limitless possibilities
    - Tech-geek culture
    - committed and amped up colleagues
    - High energy
    - The Elemental perks were great, not sure if they're still as good with the AWS'ization of the company

Cons

- "Too" many possibilities with deep AWS pockets resulting in less common purpose and focus
    - Unforgiving core encoding market where customers treat it as commodity, which it is not, with lots of innovation still needed
    - Bit of group think where energy and excitement is expected
    - Too Portland-centric, not necessarily a bad thing if you're in (and like) Portland

Advice to Management

Walk around and talk to employees more, tolerate different viewpoints more

"Bait and Switch: Toxic Harassment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Elemental Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent compensation, but not worth the environment that provides it.

Cons

A very different environment was presented to me in the interview than what was reality. Despite being told that Amazon's (which had acquired Elemental) environment probably wouldn't take hold, I found myself solidly on a team that had the environment you read about in the news.

Constant attempts to coerce me into throwing coworkers under the bus ...

Attempts at forcing me to take on roles that I had no skills in (and had communicated in the interview that I had no interest in taking), while being belittled when I requested more training ...

Being told I should just work more hours and to "just figure it out" if I wanted to catch up to these unrealistic expectations (after being told in the interview the company only expected me to work 40-hour weeks) ...

Constant belittling and insults ...

Not every team has this problem. But ask hard questions in the interview about management style and watch the response. I wish I'd paid closer attention to the red flags that presented themselves in the interview.

I do not regret walking away. I do regret not listening to the red flags that were in the interview.

Advice to Management

See above.

"Engaging and growth oriented."

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Care about employee growth.
    * Managers who care about your work.
    * Many Company sponsored events.
    * Fun and intelligent Co-Workers.
    * Exciting projects, and products that make you want to come to work every day.
    * Managers give you the reins, and you can manage your own time.

Cons

Not too many cons. Company is growing, work is challenging, I think this is the best company that anyone will find in Portland.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture, events, great communication going. That's what makes this a great company.

"Probably one of the most engaging places to work"

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time

Pros

-Extremely smart & enthusiastic coworkers
    -Not sure why others feel as they do about management, but I have never had a bad experience here. My managers have always been highly competent & fair.
    -Extremely competitive pay now that we are part of Amazon. I seriously doubt anywhere else in Portland pays as highly as they do
    -Cohesive company culture, with tons of perks & benefits.
    -My PTO actually increased as a result of the Amazon acquisition

Cons

-As others have said it's not a come here & take it easy company. Most people work 8 hr days, but everyone works hard, and you need to be willing to put in effort as needed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - don't lose the culture you're worked so hard to build.

"A fantastic place to work for driven, growth oriented engineers"

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Elemental as a software engineer for a while now (long before the acquisition). I'm mainly writing this review because I read the anti-Amazon reviews and was shocked. The company has well more than doubled in size since I started, and I was becoming really concerned about how process and structure were adapting (or not) to the company growing as quickly as it was. I have seen concrete improvements in process and team structure since the acquisition. I believe we would have gotten their eventually, but I think Amazon's experience as a large company helped us to adapt more quickly than we would have been able to on our own. There are a couple of things that are a little worse than they were before benefits wise (see cons), but overall, I feel better about the company now than I have in quite a while, and I think a large part of that has to do with the acquisition and other recent changes / process improvements.

Pros:
    * interesting technology
    * smart, hard working coworkers
    * business development / sales side is really strong. It's nice that people actually buy the stuff we produce.
    * great career growth potential
    * REALLY good maternity / parental leave benefit
    * 401K matching
    * solid health / vision / dental plans
    * company provided short term / long term disability insurance, as well as life insurance
    * really fun company culture. Things like Friday lunch talks, employer funded meetup groups (for game nights, movies out, etc), frequent happy hours and parties for releases, a CEO who knows your name, education and conference reimbursement, engineering offsite trips
    * the typical tech benefits: free massages, stocked kitchen, Stumptown cold brew on tap, beer, coffee tabs at two different shops, lots of (surprisingly nice) SWAG, etc

Cons

* sabbatical is no longer a "thing" now that we are Amazon (we did get paid out for accrued sabbatical time, which was nice)
    * it would be nice to have a little more PTO
    * you will work really hard here, and managers will have high expectations for your work. Not a work / life balance company so much (it has been this way as long as I've worked here)

Advice to Management

I think the direction things are going is good. Keep taking into account the suggestions of those of us in the "trenches". Continue to focus on preserving the good company culture that we have as we move forward.

"Disorganized, toxic management. Bad work environment. Smart workers."

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time

Pros

* Decent perks & benefits (for now)

* Very smart engineers

* Innovating technology

Cons

* Benefits are being eroded due to the Amazon acquisition, despite Amazon having piles of money

* Drama and toxic politics are steadily creeping in

* Management seems to be primarily concerned with climbing the corporate ladder instead of helping engineers get work done

* Open floor plans are not appropriate work environment for software engineering or any other work that requires consistent focus. Lots of noise and distractions.

Advice to Management

Management's role (at most) should be to help workers get things done. If you can't do that, then get out of the way!

"Owned by Amazon, what more do you need to know?"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Elemental Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice offices, compensation is OK, good location, interesting work.

Cons

All the typical cons of a growing company, coupled with those you would expect from Amazon. Culture is going down the drain. I abhor the office politics.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what to say. Could stand up to Amazon more but that doesn't really seem possible now that we're their slaves.

"Smart coworkers, great benefits, interesting work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Portland, OR

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, interesting challenges, and successful products make it worth working here. Love that the company is driven to give back to the community which supports it. Managers are very tuned-in to the needs of their employees, and work to make sure the work environment fosters employee growth.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a quickly-growing company - somewhat frequent shifts in office setup, changing culture, etc.

Advice to Management

Founders are doing a good job of recognizing the importance of maintaining company culture even as the company grows rapidly. Continuation of that awareness is necessary to keep what is great about the company.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upbeat Work Culture. Great Management.

Value their employees at every level.

Give back to community. Lot of smart people. Products are bleeding edge..

Health Care Plan, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401k

Cons

Not a bad thing, but you are busy a lot. Need to be resourceful.

Advice to Management

Better Documentation and Onboarding.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Elemental Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement within the company. Amazing coworkers with incredible output.

Cons

Work/life balance is something you have to work hard at maintaining.