Elementum Software Engineer, Backend Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Software Engineer, Backend

Create your profile to get personalized information

Elementum Reviews

Updated 9 Oct 2019

2.8
Elementum CEO Nader Mikhail
Nader Mikhail
  1. Featured Review

"It is about time to have a review from a current employee."

Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elementum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good benefit, competitive salary, lots of extra perks and yes our lunches are really amazing.

Cons

Managment takes too long to let under performing employees go. I hope they change that behavior immediately. Here is an example: We had a very weak People Success team for a long time who hired really badly, and as a result of their poor hiring, lots of tier C and D employees were working at Elementum in the past year. I remember having several conversations during our lunches with many of my teammates to find out... that lots of them never kept their jobs for more than 1 year. Now, I see many complainers giving Elementum bad reviews but in reality, those former teammates who are writing the vast majority of these past reviews needs to digest that most of you were performing bellow average and that is probably the main reason why most of you are no longer working with at Elementum. Plain and simple.

Advice to Management

Keep being honest with us, I enjoy the return of our weekly all hands meetings where all the Upper Managment team have been consistently transparent about our goals, product, sales, finance and other interesting topics. Yes we had some layoff but so does other companies in Silicon Valley. The vast majority of people who stayed are happy, very productive and still believe in our mission. I hope our CEO do not get... distracted with these hateful reviews from people who don’t even work at Elementum anymore. Until last year his approval rate was 98%. Honestly, I don’t think he had changed much. These waves of bad review definitely does not reflect the CEO true leadership and company’s reality

Elementum2019-02-16

"Best wishes to Elementum"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging topics and problems to solve. Supply chain industry is very interesting. Solving these real problems gives you sense of achievement Talented, humble and friendly engineers. Low quality free lunch Used to have very good immigration policy Tech stacks are state of the art and popular for the market Engineering in Argentina is doing great Nice office building

Cons

Lots of talented people left in the past year Limited training fund available to employees Hiring decisions are not always fair nor merit-based.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my time at Elementum in the past two years. Best wishes to you all.

Elementum2019-06-11

"Keep looking elsewhere"

I worked at Elementum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Product is aimed at solving ambitious challenge with big TAM. In Mountain View you could be offered Silicon Valley level comp and perks (but don't get excited too fast: a proper discount is embedded in the low quality of experience and poor job security). Some people find it cool to have blue chip companies as customers.

Cons

Product-market fit is not found, which is a bit overdue. Company has lost times more customers than it has retained. Long implementation time and feedback loop. With product being sold in 3 year deals, value to the client is realized only many months into the contract, if at all. High management turnover. Chances are, you'll get to work for a person with small tenure who is still figuring stuff out, not... trusted by top management, looks for her/his own next gig elsewhere and has no incentive for investing in you. There is no basis for expecting a consistent culture. Personality and skill set of the CEO. Nader is charismatic and probably personally responsible for all revenue company has. Without relationships he built with customers there is probably no company. However, resulting confidence in his own judgement could be getting in the way of hearing other people and making best decisions for the company.

Advice to Management

There is potential for Board to find a way to light a bigger fire under Nader. CEO and COO could benefit from getting professional help on enabling managers to do their jobs and hiring the right people. It also makes sense to consider further scaling down and getting out of high cost locations - you need more runway to figure out what are you doing.

Elementum2019-09-03

"Reckless, unethical, rudderless. Don't risk your career here."

Former Employee - Sales/Marketing

I worked at Elementum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free healthcare costs for you (not family). Free lunch if you work in the office. Plenty of open desks.

Cons

Consistent pattern of hiring people for "experiments" with exaggerated promises and firing them months later if it doesn't work. Changing direction every quarter because they lack the fortitude to see anything through. Unethical business practices are the norm. "We're a 'startup', we couldn't have seen X coming..." is the excuse used to write off all manner of bad behavior. Willing to promise nearly anything... to attract talent knowing they will not retain them long enough to have to deliver it.

Advice to Management

Stop using peoples careers and lives as a throwaway for your experiments. Its reckless and has a real human impact to peoples lives. Start caring about the people you hire. If you don't intend to keep them, DONT hire them.

Elementum2019-08-24

"The most corrupt C-level team!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- good benefits - free food/lunches - talented/good colleagues (if they are still there)

Cons

- the CEO - the product - the negative working environment - “motivating” employees with fear - obvious favoritism with certain employees

Advice to Management

take a closer look at the leadership and what they are doing.

Elementum2019-08-23
  6. "A mixed bag of good and bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Elementum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Well funded. Fun company culture. Good place to expand professional experience. Huge market opportunity.

Cons

The product needs help. Recent org restructure has hit the employee morale pretty hard.

Advice to Management

Rejuvenate the company's motivation ASAP. Bring in more skill & experience to boost the product and make real progress on capturing this market.

Elementum2019-05-18

"Think twice before accepting big offer"

I worked at Elementum full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good pay/Benefits - Nice office -Can bring dogs -A lot of team events for employees - good logos (BUT churn becoming issue + hadn't closed new business in 3 quarters)

Cons

-Burning money is more useful than what Elementum does -Scaled team just to fire all new hires w/i couple months -No clear go-to-market strategy -First time leaders- Management has no clue what they're doing This company doesn't know how to market, sell, service or upgrade the system. It is a great idea in theory, but little more than vaporware. If you are interviewing and have any other offers strongly... suggest taking those. If this is your last hope for a job- at least you'll be paid well for a couple of months before management lays you off for their own mistakes.

Advice to Management

Resign. Stop lying to people during interviews. Talked a big game, and from the outside, you have no idea it's a lie. Be transparent with employees, no one wants to leave a good job to join your team that fires them immediately because of leadership had no clue what they were doing. There seems to be very little integrity amongst the top leadership and too young to realize how pompous they are.

Elementum2019-03-27

"House of Cards"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Elementum full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good vision, conceptually - Strong design team to make cool videos & PPTs - A few good people left

Cons

- Poor executive leadership. CEO thinks he knows everything and continually tells employees and teams what to do, and how to do it, rather than empower. The leadership team he's put around him are eventually forced into following his way, until they no longer believe and quit, or get fired due to dissension. Executives leave the company like a revolving door. - Horrible sales culture. New CRO brought in... caused nearly every last sales person to leave within months. He was hired despite zero SaaS experience, zero supply chain experience, and an aggressive attitude that does not work with today's workplace culture. He demands high volume cold calls (em, this is enterprise sales, not telemarketing) and listens into nearly every phone call (using a 3rd party software that's likely crossing California and other state legal boundaries) to critique every move. Big Brother watch out! This is not a place to make any money either. - Unhappy, disappointed customers. Customers are not receiving value thru what was sold in powerpoint or an HTML demo. Remaining customers are either stuck in a long term contract, have a personal relationship or investment in the company, or blinded by CEO's salesmanship. Customer relationships are highly volatile and none have received enough value to justify their investment. - Lack of product (market fit). The vision of an end-to-end supply chain orchestration platform is appealing. The visual screens and UX are attractive on the surface. However, the product unfortunately lacks depth, flexibility and scalability. There are major technical issues on the back end due to short cuts, and multiple rebuilds have not fixed core issues. The Product Graph is a myth. - Experience doesn't matter (once you're hired) - experienced professionals, whether in sales, onboarding or engineering, are not leveraged for their experience - they're told how to do things. - Hire & fire. Numerous times the company hired like crazy, then fired months later to scale back. Entire teams were assembled and disassembled in a continual pivot from one strategy to another. Nearly all good people have already left. There are more issues but these are sufficient to know that Elementum has major challenges to overcome. The company has missed the opportunity to become a real player in the supply chain technology space.

Advice to Management

The BOD should remove the CEO and his B-player management team. Sell the company or close the doors - the wind is already out of the Elementum sails and everyone in the know, knows it.

Elementum2019-04-30

"Fake Company"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Elementum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership is so incompetent they will overpay you. (Later they will realize it and correct themselves by laying off/firing) kombucha

Cons

Incompetent leadership. Leaders definitely don't know what they're doing and worst...theyre indecisive. Managers stem from leadership and it clearly shows. Funny people who are comedians but their work and skills are also a joke. Hire and fire mentality due to indecisiveness, selling vaporware, and lack of capability at the top. I wasn't allowed to see the product myself as an employee because they didn't... have anything to show us. All the big customers like Starbucks, BASF, Corning are all leaving because they realized that as well. No new customers within the last 3 quarters....let me repeat that...No new customers int he last 3 quarters.

Advice to Management

Be an employee, not an employer. It's not for you.

Elementum2019-04-29

"Culture Lacks Integrity"

I worked at Elementum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of nice people, a lot of opportunities for team bonding. The product and the problem it's trying to solve, at least in theory, are interesting. Some teams enjoy fairly hands-off management and plenty of autonomy.

Cons

The company is struggling to find its footing against several competitors who are doing the same thing, but better. As an engineer or PMM, this could be exciting because there's room for improvement. If you're in sales or marketing, you might feel frustrated that you're peddling a product that's all show and no (or little) substance. Constant pivoting to different priorities is lauded as "dynamic" and "just how a... fast-growing startup operates." In fact it suggests that the company doesn't really have a clue what it's doing. And an obvious downside to this that other reviews have already pointed out is the regular, unexplained layoffs. Even with the above, I would've happily given this company 3 stars. However, there's a huge con that's hard to overlook: an ugly culture. Meetings sometimes turn into gossip sessions about coworkers, and even managers participate in the backbiting. I noticed a lot of passive aggressive behavior that I've never seen in any company, before or since. On the surface, the casual and lighthearted culture Elementum is so proud of seems welcoming. But there's a fine line between being casual and being unprofessional. Elementum's culture crosses that line on a regular basis. If you miss high school, you might enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Model the culture you want to see. Impromptu BBQs and basketball matches aren't a good substitute for integrity, transparency, and respect for your employees.

Elementum2019-02-23