Elementum Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2019

2.8
Elementum CEO Nader Mikhail
Nader Mikhail

"A lot of perks - but look beyond the bells & whistles, no foundation!"

I worked at Elementum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Base salary and perks like free lunch, gym membership, cell phone allowance.

Cons

Sinking ship - stay away. Be wise and look beyond the perks - examine the foundations & fundamentals of this company. I thought long and hard about writing such a 'negative' review on glassdoor but I felt it right to give a warning to any potential job seekers. The product has a ton of issues and management is not trying to find a product-market fit at all. Product direction and re-org changes every couple... months without any input from customers. They just build things and hope someone buys it, makes no sense. Also - its a supply chain software company with no supply chain people at the top. The product is all smoke & mirrors with a fantastic sales & marketing team. There is zero substance under the covers and implementations always hit the point where a customer asks 'what on earth did we buy' after a couple months. Customers love the people but not the product. Not a good business model. Culture wise, its a lot of hand wavers and talkers in middle & upper management. No talk about how we can save customers money or solve a problem - just boilerplate verbiage on how we're disruptors or change agents or how you need to work harder. Employees are just numbers where they are hired and fired at the speed of light. Last round of layoffs, because this happens with a degree of regularity, they let go of people who were at the company not even 3 months. Seriously - they hired a big group of people and then let them go in under a year. If you are on a visa KEEP LOOKING - do what's best for your family! Comp wise the base pay is ok but since the 401k vests over 4 years, and they will most likely lay you off in 1-2, you end up not really getting a 401k employer match. Look beyond the perks, be wise. They also like to pay below your bonus target. Ethics wise, I have serious concerns. Several things represented to me during the recruitment process and offer negotiations turned out to not be true regarding my compensation package and health of the company. Plus, if you say something negative to your manager or complain, it shows up on your performance report and reduces your bonus or inhibits promotion. What kind of system is that? I never got the hard proof that bad practice is afoot - but there are a lot of smoking guns.

Advice to Management

Replace the current leadership team. Bring in people with supply chain and software experience, start listening to your customers, and get your ego out of the game. Current C-level team does not have the best interests of their employees or customers at heart - and until that changes there will continue to be problems. Get the product functioning and find the right product-market fit with your existing customers.... They want you to succeed and will help if you ask them! All it takes is a patient ear and focus on solving their problems!

Elementum2019-01-27

"Free food, but no vision"

I worked at Elementum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Food; Free Snacks; Free beverage

Cons

The company changed product strategy every quarter, the leadership has no vision to drive the team. Many people at CX were hired from the same “M” company, and they created their own circle to rule the whole department. Talent people were treated unfairly, no future career. Those people from the same company were promoted multiple times a year without considering performance. Very pessimistic working environment

Advice to Management

Hope the company will grow in the right direction before vanish

Elementum2019-01-27

"Sinking ship, fake news!"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Elementum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Focusing on very critical and complex Supply Chain problems Good office in Mountain View Good pay and benefits Free food Pets allowed Casual dress code and work culture

Cons

- Company is sinking and has no idea what to do and where to go. Added a lot of employees across the board in last 5-6 months and now more than half of the company is gone. Speaks to the problems! - CEO is a good Sales guy and can cast a powerful vision but that's about it. Zero experience in corporate governance and has no prior experience in managing any function within an organization. Makes the entire company... dance based on individual deals which he can't close. He has surrounded himself with old timers ('Yes Man') who have no Enterprise experience. - Company is totally stuck from a direction standpoint and does not know where to go. Customers were sold solutions which are not going anywhere and they are unhappy and churning. CEO changes strategy every 3 months as he's clueless and makes ad-hoc strategy decisions based on a few deals. Highly immature. Hardly any customer is successful and sales has dried up. Burning cash like crazy. - Product is all smoke. Somehow CEO and sales guys sold it in the past. Company was selling consulting services all these years and now struggling immensely to become a product company. Other competitors are executing better and taking the market. - Management is a revolving door. New sales, engineering, product heads every 12 months. No one is able to settle.

Advice to Management

No advise to management as it is totally incompetent and employees have lost all hope. The advise is for the board and the investors. Employees do not understand why stick with the same CEO who has struggled on every business goal. Get a new *qualified* CEO and release his cronies.

Elementum2019-01-24

"Think twice; stay away."

I worked at Elementum full-time

Pros

Like the other reviews say, great benefits, but these benefits may end given the current condition of the company. When I was there, we received free daily lunches, free dinners (if staying late in the office), gym stipend, health insurance, 401K matching, and cell phone bill coverage.

Cons

Did you read all the other 1 star reviews? They're 100% accurate. The company has major product issues and a culture that rewards inaction and incompetence. I would say the worst part is that the most powerful people in the company are people who do not have business experience. This quality on its own is not bad. People acquire experience as they go along, and often people without experience (granted that they... are smart) can solve many problems. But inexperience, wedded with the inability to see one's errors and coupled with arrogance and the inability to listen to others with new ideas or more experience, is a recipe for disaster. And toward disaster is where the company is heading.

Advice to Management

I want to see the company succeed. My biggest advice to the CEO is to take a look at the people closest to you, and ask yourself if they're helping or hurting the company. If you think they are helping the company, I would then question whether your own vision and leadership are what the company needs. New ideas, new outlooks, new thinking are not reaching those in charge.

Elementum2019-01-17

"Rocketship to nowhere"

I worked at Elementum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food, nice office, decent pay, great vision for product

Cons

Product changes from quarter to quarter, leadership has no clue what's going on, mass layoffs happen at least 4 times a year, unable to execute on product, working after hours common.

Advice to Management

Find better leaders. Execute on the vision.

Elementum2019-01-24

"Toxic culture and aggressive people thrive"

Former Employee - TOB PM in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good to learn about different supply chain SAAS platforms, and exposure to various industries and how they deal with their overall supply chain

Cons

- not a good place to learn. Nobody to guide. Not enough resources and nobody had ANY time - no time for on the job/hands on experience and learning - CX team was overworked and underwhelmingly unimportant - product cannot scale with the amount of manual work that was put in - zero trust in employees - micromanaged employees - HAD to be in the good books of popular middle management - agreession was given... a pat in the back - HR is nonchalant and they don’t keep their word about basic immigrant employee needs - no meaningful yardstick to measure any goals - Firing was done based on face value (also due to above point)

Advice to Management

Improve product Try to scale the product for massive amounts of data ingestion instead of making a backyard data factory If there is no way except to rely on people to manage data, treat them better than at a sweatshop Do not oversell the product and commit to short timelines. Remember that your employees are human beings.

Elementum2019-01-15

"Sinking ship stay away."

in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Elementum for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch/ snacks good people

Cons

One of the worst company I have worked for. Worst leadership. Bad management and horrible HR department. Big layoffs are happening, and no one from the upper management made an effort to address the employees. Every year during first quarter they lay-off people and start hiring again in second and third quarter. Hire and fire culture.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with the people and be transparent

Elementum2019-01-15

"Great Vision"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Elementum full-time for less than a year

Pros

Comp, benefits, & fast pace

Cons

Need to execute on the vision

Advice to Management

Invest in developing the solution & making customers successful

Elementum2019-01-23

"Great culture, but more to be desired"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Elementum full-time

Pros

Amazing culture! I loved everyone I worked with. People are smart, engaging, open minded. One of the best and smartest bunch I have ever had the privilege to work with! So much fun too! The mgmt team has no idea how awesome their team is and that literally other startups don't have this level of talent.

Cons

The push to micromanage everything has gone to an extreme, where teams are spending more time crunching data and not on valuable activities that actually drive business results. If mgmt would stop and smell the roses, the company could have the potential to do really well.

Advice to Management

Nader, you need to be more authentic, as this is when you shine. Stop listening to people that are only there to tell you what you want to hear! Listen to your own gut feeling and let people do what you hired them for. You have way too many smart people that adore you, but they will eventually leave if you continue this.

Elementum2018-11-21

"Poor company culture with no room for growth"

I worked at Elementum full-time

Pros

Being a startup, you get all the cool tech perks like benefits, caltrain pass, free lunch, snacks, and occasional fun activities.

Cons

No transparency. We're supposed to be an open company and have open communication, but that's not the case. They cancelled our holiday party, started to cut budget costs and is not saying anything about why. Last time this happened, they did a bunch of layoffs. So much for a "transparent" company, eh? A lot of employees have left due to lack of growth and management fails to recognize the hard work their employees... put in to help this company.

Advice to Management

Keep all your employees in the loop of whats going on in the company

Elementum2019-01-07