Elevate Credit Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Elevate Credit CEO Ken Rees
Ken Rees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Daily Free breakfast , subsidized lunch, company sponsored happy hours which helps to mingle with co-workers" (in 15 reviews)

• "Fast-paced growing company, large opportunity for career growth" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fast paced might come off as strange for people joining Elevate but this company is not for people who like to take their time" (in 8 reviews)

• "With all the PRO that is provided, it is only possibly to hold over 40 hours from one year to the next" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company, Great Culture, Bright Future"

Current Employee - Manager, Contact Center Vendor Operations in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Manager, Contact Center Vendor Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Elevate does a fantastic job in it's hiring process to hire candidates that fit our values. I see people truly living our values every day which focus highly on integrity and providing the best possible experience for our customers. I see people rewarded and recognized for hard work. There is a lot of opportunity with the growth of the company and the benefits are on the high end of what I have seen at other companies with some unique ones added in for 5 and 10 year anniversaries, employee stock stock purchase options, and even fun things like a free bike for all employees.

Cons

There are not many. You do have to be someone that is good with change and adapts quickly. We have a fast paced culture and move quickly to implement changes we think will help our customers and our business. It sometimes means things happening with little communication. If you like steady and easy with little change Elevate is not for you. We are fast paced and need to be easily adaptable to change.

Advice to Management

Keep the open and candid communication open as you have. Even with the IPO and limited info that can be shared I think you are doing great at keeping us in the loop on how the company is doing.

"Great Company with Great Values"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Addison, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been employed at Elevate for over 6 years and have been with the company for close to 8 . Started at Think and split of to Elevate. Best decision of my life. This is the longest I have stayed at any one company in my whole career and I don't see myself leaving soon. The company keeps you on your feet and that is exactly what I love here. I pride myself working at Elevate. Over the past 6 years I have worked so far in 3 different departments which is one of the biggest reasons I am able to provide value to my work. Here are few pros working for elevate if you have the passion to bring a change- Startup company which provides direct access to executives all the way up to CEO, Fast paced ,Skilled employees across departments, Open communication with open door policy, Ability to make an impact, Core Values, Ability to change departments to find your place in the company , Work from home Policy, Bonus , 5 year and 10 year recognition with added Bonus, 5% matching 401K.

Cons

Fast paced might come off as strange for people joining Elevate but this company is not for people who like to take their time. Timelines and priority shifting are important in fast paced world and you can see this being core at Elevate. This is not a con but some might find it so. If you want to have a fast paced day and enjoying working slightly more than 40 hours a day , this is the company you want to be at.

Advice to Management

Sometimes Management might credit just the management and above for achievements and miss the key people who might have made a difference. I think this can change and probably managers can take the time to trickle the achievement down to the people actually doing the work. Also some pain points at the end of the pipeline might not reach the upper management , which might be leading to poor communication which in turns leads to the executives not knowing the real issues. I am sure this can change as we continue to grow.

3. "Great Culture and Challenging Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Elevate really comes through with the promise of allowing employees to take ownership of their projects and management does not micromanage. They work hard to hire the right people who embody the values and are subject matter experts in their field. Due to this, everyone is respected as a valuable member of the team and allowed to have their opinion heard, regardless of their job title.

Another great aspect of working here is every day is different. The work is always challenging and exciting and there is never a dull moment. Management is passionate about the work and that enthusiasm is felt throughout the organization.

Another amazing aspect is they truly care about employees and listen to their feedback in order to make the company an even better place to work.

Cons

There are always areas of improvement at any company but the great thing about this company is every group is always striving to get better and even the pain points are seen as an opportunity.

"Great Ideas... some of the time, Questionable Execution"

I worked at Elevate Credit full-time

Pros

- Many intelligent, talented team members
    - Good benefits, free healthy breakfast and employee social hours
    - Comp is above average in many roles

Cons

- The inability of the frozen middle tier to execute is only outdone by the lack of sound, actionable strategy from the C suite
    - A large cadre of managers with no people leader capability
    - Fractured technology departments (Not great when you bill yourself as a FinTech)
    - There is open hostility between product and IT teams

Advice to Management

Define and COMMUNICATE a strategy for growth. Start with clearly defined goals - what do you want Elevate to be when it grows up? The competition is moving, Elevate is not, get motivated, truly agile and delivery focused.

5. "Software Developer"

Pros

Overall Elevate is a good company to work for.

Cons

I don't have anything so far.

6. "agent"

Former Employee - Agent in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in Arlington, TX

I worked at Elevate Credit part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy job to learn, no pressure

Cons

long hours sitting on the phone

Advice to Management

keep up the good work.

"Not a great place to work, but really could be."

Current Employee - Risk Management
    Current Employee - Risk Management

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brilliant People working on tough problems - Some of the brightest and most incredibly talented minds in credit/finance. The company works in an industry that's highly regulated and competitive, but really have an outstanding talent force behind it that makes it an incredible place to work/learn if you end up in the data and risk organizations.

Great Mission - Providing financial and credit options to a part of the population that would otherwise have no options is truly a rewarding mission.

Extra Perks - To name a few...
    - Industry above-average pay
    - Employee stock purchase program
    - Instant vesting of 401k
    - Free $500 bike credit
    - Free breakfast (yogurt, granola, fruit)
    - Free happy hours on Fridays (booze, chips, and pretzels)
    - Subsidized mediocre lunch

Cons

Contentious Industry - Be prepared to enter an industry where you are perceived to be a predatory lender that's often attacked by legislative and economic forums. You will be known as "legal loan sharks." As long as you're comfortable with that title, you're all set!

Sinking ship - there's a reason why the stock price for this company opened low, and stayed low.There are many competitors in this arena: including companies like Marcus backed by Goldman Sachs, Avant, etc. who can all eat Elevate's lunch if they decided to open the APR rates they want to underwrite to.

It is getting worse -- The attrition rate for a company in this industry (technology/finance) is literally 2x - 3x that of competitors. That should tell you everything you need to know. Additionally, the ratings for the company has been declining over the past year on glassdoor... red flag

True colors show in unethical employee treatment practices - The company prides itself on doing the right thing, but being with the company for over 3 years I can say that they don't share the same standard they do with employees that they have for customers. I had people tell me their managers discriminated against them because they didn't speak english well, I've seen employees cry in the restroom because of stress, I've seen people given <24 hours notice before being a lay-off/firing, literally every quarter you wake up after the end and find a bunch of your friends are gone because they were fired. Nobody is safe! Every position from the CCO to frontline paralegal has been fired or conveniently "resigned without saying goodbye"... I would call it a joke if it wasn't so emotionally stressful.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees like the humans that gave years to company and helped it grow.-- You're not one of the great places to work (no matter how much you pay for that title each year), but you could be. You're no longer working in a cave against pawn shops and loan sharks. You're competing for talent and resources from some of the best technology companies in the world. Act like it.

8. "Casual atmosphere, interesting co-workers, great workplace"

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time

Pros

No dress code, free breakfast, $4 lunches three times a week, work from home policy, good retirement plan options, and discounted snacks in the break rooms.

Cons

There is a monthly fee to use the in-building gym and no formal training for young leaders.

"Employees are human after all"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expectations are reasonable, processes and policies exist and are also reasonable.

Cons

some amount of cliquish mentality exists - especially between the two main locations - Fort Worth and Addison

Advice to Management

Encourage more dialog among employees. There is still an abundance of hierarchy and a reluctance to talk directly with those that you don't interact with regularly.

10. "Data Scientist"

I worked at Elevate Credit full-time

Pros

High Tech, Working time flexibility

Cons

Working environment is not pleasant. Employees need to share desks.