Elevate Credit Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Elevate Credit CEO Ken Rees
Ken Rees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast-paced growing company, large opportunity for career growth (in 14 reviews)

• Daily Free breakfast , subsidized lunch, company sponsored happy hours which helps to mingle with co-workers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it is so fast paced sometimes deadlines cause workers to rush unnecessarily (in 7 reviews)

• When I was hired on, as a salaried employee, I was told that I should expect to work 40-45 hours a week and some weeks up to 55 hours (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Company, Great Culture, Bright Future"

Current Employee - Manager, Contact Center Vendor Operations in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Manager, Contact Center Vendor Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Elevate does a fantastic job in it's hiring process to hire candidates that fit our values. I see people truly living our values every day which focus highly on integrity and providing the best possible experience for our customers. I see people rewarded and recognized for hard work. There is a lot of opportunity with the growth of the company and the benefits are on the high end of what I have seen at other companies with some unique ones added in for 5 and 10 year anniversaries, employee stock stock purchase options, and even fun things like a free bike for all employees.

Cons

There are not many. You do have to be someone that is good with change and adapts quickly. We have a fast paced culture and move quickly to implement changes we think will help our customers and our business. It sometimes means things happening with little communication. If you like steady and easy with little change Elevate is not for you. We are fast paced and need to be easily adaptable to change.

Advice to Management

Keep the open and candid communication open as you have. Even with the IPO and limited info that can be shared I think you are doing great at keeping us in the loop on how the company is doing.

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Service Recovery Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Service Recovery Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open environment, very casual dress, free breakfast daily (yogurt, cereal, fruit), discount lunch ($4.00) program 3-days per week, competitive pay, semi-annual bonus, very open door policy, Friday afternoon happy hour every other week (keg of craft beer and selection of appetizers and wine), opportunity to occasionally work from home, good benefits (great dental plan, start with 20 PTO days), medical is fine, but perhaps a bit on the expensive side, free disability, both long and short term. . I have probably missed some benefits, but there are a lot.

Cons

With all the PRO that is provided, it is only possibly to hold over 40 hours from one year to the next.

Advice to Management

My only change would be to be able to carry over 80 hours instead of 40 hours of PTO from one year to the next

"Don't believe the HR spin -- Elevate is not a great place to work"

I worked at Elevate Credit full-time

Pros

The benefit package is pretty good, particularly the 401(k) match and ESPP. Salaries can be good but are extremely negotiable as the pay bands are big. Lots of market opportunity as big banks are still reluctant to touch subprime lending. Co-workers are generally very smart, particularly in analytical and statistical roles.

Cons

Elevate was by far the most political work environment I've ever experienced. Key decisions about personnel that get promoted and put on good projects are determined by friendship with upper management rather than competence. As a result, the same projects have been lingering for years and have not been completed. There is also no performance calibration which leads to massive gaps between capable and not capable teams. HR has attempted to fix this by trying to implement company-wide performance management policies but these policies are overruled whenever HR or top executives decide they don't want to play by these rules.

Also, much more investment in "bells and whistles" than in the company itself or the employees.

CEO also does not seem to understand the company and industry very well as evidenced by the flop of the IPO and having goals that are completely unachieveable. Long term strategy is also very inconsistent and changes based on whatever ideas he read most recently in a business book or heard at a conference.

All of this is a shame since there is a lot of talent at the company and there is a great market opportunity for Elevate's products but they are really held back by leadership and by HR.

Advice to Management

Step out of the processes that you have in place for employee to give feedback. Have third parties administer surveys and focus groups rather than having HR and department leaders in the room; this just encourages people to be less than forthcoming about their feelings.

Also, give people besides the same "top performers" over and over again the opportunity to work on key projects. You might actually learn or innovate something.

4. "My first year at Elevate"

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High employee morale; empowerment to think big; competitive salaries and bonus structure; frequent employee and family focused events; ability to connect directly to key executive decision makers;

Cons

No specific sick time allowance- part of overall paid time off; monthly accrual for time off;

Advice to Management

revisit some of the paid time off policies

"Not for the faint of heart"

Current Employee - Non-Management in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Non-Management in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people everywhere, challenging, goal oriented, good place to grow.
    Everyone is expected to contribute, little patience for slackers.
    Casual dress code, bi-weekly happy hours and daily breakfast.

Cons

Fast-paced, rate of change and corporate pivots make it difficult for some to keep up.
    Anyone who expects to come in do the same thing everyday need not apply.

Advice to Management

Continue pressing technology advancements for customers and staff, continue to invest in people.

Take the time to assess depth in thinly staffed, high OT areas so we don't burn out good people.

"Terrible Creative Leader"

I worked at Elevate Credit full-time

Pros

Being competent (barely) in design does not mean you are able to manage a team or be a leader. Finding errors in design does not mean you have the ability to recognize good design. If you want to work in a department environment that is erratically hostile and for someone you do not respect but get a paycheck this is the place. In other words, if you have no other options and are building experience work here.

Cons

Be a cog. Within the design department you will find allies and friends, just do not expect anything but contempt and disrespect from the department head.

Advice to Management

Respect for the head of a department matters. Poll the staff and act accordingly. Put this woman back in design and OUT of management.

7. "QA Analyst 1"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Elevate Credit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been there for 9 years. I have experience in Leadership, and working with Temp agencies for hire.

Cons

I am happy but it is time for change and growth. It's a small company that is still growing.

Advice to Management

Eager to join a new team! Love being around people, very outgoing, great leadership skills.

8. "Fun and fast paced"

Pros

Fast paced. Keeps you on your toes. Environment is very laid back and welcoming.

Cons

No major cons. Since it is so fast paced sometimes deadlines cause workers to rush unnecessarily.

"They talk big about learning company culture is important to succeed and leave you fliundering to learn that on your own"

I worked at Elevate Credit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast
    Free bike if you make it a year

Cons

Stress learning culture to succeed but no help creating it. Set up mtgs for you to meet people but then no helpful contact with those people afterwords.

Very silo management structure, they all own their own stuff and way they want it handled. Great oposition ti change and no assistance.

Advice to Management

For talking big about innovation, very close minded unless you are a C-level employee apparently

"Low Pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Elevate Credit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IT co-workers are really smart.

Cons

Base salaries are low, and bonuses are terrible. All of the money goes to the executives, they don't care about everyone else. It's hard to get a raise.

Advice to Management

Be more fair with the average employee's pay.