Eli Lilly Reviews | Glassdoor

Eli Lilly President, CEO, and Director John C. Lechleiter
John C. Lechleiter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • For engineering the work/life balance is pretty bad with lots of weeks working (in 22 reviews)

• Bureaucracy makes the decision making process slow (in 19 reviews)

1. "Gotcha"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, life saving medicine

Cons

Micromanagement from top down, serious medical leave gets you to lose your job legally

Advice to Management

if each franchise of a business unit were run according to the same business plan, held accountable to the same model, from the top down, perhaps the disparity would be less and the morale greater across the unit?

"Limited Advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cafeteria was good.

Cons

For those who aren't hired at the university level, or without the Lilly scholarship, advancement opportunities are poor.

"Poorly Trained, Unappreciative Supervision"

Former Employee - Quality Control Senior Chemistry Lab Tech in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Quality Control Senior Chemistry Lab Tech in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid vacations, holidays and family medical leaves, including maternity and paternity leaves.
    "Pros" are/were strong...Insurance, bonuses, raises, company shares, 401K match **BUT**...{See 'Cons'}:

Cons

Benefits such as listed in 'Pros', are slowly dwindling. Lilly is not the great Employer it once was.
    As Benefits & Perks are slipping away from employees, it is making it more difficult to tolerate the immature, unappreciative and disrespectful supervision.

Advice to Management

Please, PLEASE! Train Supervision/Management personnel in 'People Skills' including how to communicate respectfully even when facing such subjects that are possibly negative in nature. Drill into them a zero tolerance to favoritism, 'picking sides'. Keep their personal feelings out of daily work! And no tolerance for misusing their 'power'. I had a supervisor page me on a Friday afternoon that it was imperative we meet first thing Monday morning...I tried many times to contact him by pager and his phones. I had to worry all weekend what this important meeting between us was about! Monday morning we met and he ADMITTEDLY dodged my attempts to talk Friday because he WANTED me to worry and stress all weekend about it!!!! He ADMITTED THIS!! The meeting was not even necessary, I don't even remember what it was about. I was completely flabbergasted to have been treated so childishly...SO IMMATURE!!! That's only ONE example of what I had to deal with after being a loyal employee for 15 years!

"The Decline of A Pharma Giant: From Great to Good, From Good to "Last Option for Real Talent""

Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Relatively interesting work.
    - Easy to appear smart.
    - Not Valeant Pharmaceuticals.
    - Industry headhunters respect brand.
    - Great place to figure out what you do not want from an employer.
    - That's all I have...

Cons

- Layoffs, pay freezes, and reduced bonuses (in any order, during any given period).
    - Management wants to appear progressive, but aging culture clings to "traditional values" (e.g., xenophobia, racism, bigotry, etc.)
    - Few management opportunities available for high performers.
    - 'Good Ole Boys Club' maintaining status quo to protect each other while development lags and revenues suffer.
    - Ancient (...and often flawed) industry perspectives (i.e. pursuit of the next blockbuster)
    - Lost its spot as "Top Employer" in major rankings; Indicated by great people leaving every day.

Advice to Management

If you do not have a plan for high performers, do not recruit them. If you want them to stay, provide opportunities and compensation greater than those offered by headhunters. Within the past year, +50 employees earmarked for leadership - from Research to Commercial - have taken their talents elsewhere (... some have literally "taken their talents to South Beach"). There are too many great biopharma companies (i.e. culture, career opportunities, location, compensation, etc.), and they are stealing your people with little effort. Happy for friends that moved on and worried for friends that feel trapped with few bipharma options in Indiana.

"No morale, no advancement"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Branchburg, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Branchburg, NJ

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time

Pros

Good, not great benefits package

Cons

Morale is awful. Flattening of organization has eliminated any opportunities for advancement. Management compensates themselves well, but non-management positions get minimal raises and bonus. Overdoing "diversity". Large majority of AVPs in NJ are women, and this practice is encouraged by corporate. If you are not a minority, you will not get promoted.

Advice to Management

Don't guess at what is wrong by reading e-compass surveys, because you are guessing wrong. You are the problem. Get on the floor and find out. Mgmt elitist attitudes are killing what was a great place to work. Ask all the good people that left. You will lose more if you don't fix your issues.

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The vacation, and insurance is great. Very clean nice campus and cafes make it nice.

Cons

Wow, management is rude, all they care about is stupid red book. Force political views on you, Promote on race, gender and sexual orientation. Not skill. If your a Christian hard working straight white guy, forget it no growth.

Advice to Management

Cut the red tape!!!!!!!!

"Quality Consultant"

Current Employee - Quality Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Quality Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Eli Lilly full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work/life balance, good for contractors to get experience.

Cons

The overall culture and salary is unprofessional and reliant on who you schmooze with rather than what you know. Pay is lower than other employers who require the same skillset and education.

Advice to Management

Revamp the current management team.

"Eli Lilly not so great"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Large corporation lots of parking to park car

Cons

The human resource department gets excessively involved in people work. HR try to introduce problems between employee and supervisor so they can justify doing something for their own job.

Advice to Management

To much waste of time in process. Less focus on research and development. To many managers to less people generating research data.

"A bad joke"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

extremely low expectations, great for people looking for a job that allows them to coast for 30 years

Cons

management skill - does not exist
    vision - does not exist
    engagement - none
    employee relations - unethical and unprofessional
    office politics - overwhelming, taken to another level

Lilly is great for the collection of local talent. Passive aggressive culture full of people that would not be able to succeed or work anywhere other than Lilly. Similar to a cult.

Advice to Management

quit, everyone is miserable

"Horrible place for breastfeeding mothers"

Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Eli Lilly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice campus and facilities in indianapolis

Cons

Breastfeeding mothers beware! Pumping to support my child was compared to wearing promiscuous clothing and I was repeatedly asked to stop breastfeeding. When I refused to stop pumping, they retaliated by counting the time away from my desk to pump against me. They were horrible and very bad with working families.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible to working mothers and their priorities. Allow more remote working opportunities. Don't Nickle and dime your employees.

Showing 54 of 1,225 reviews