Eliot Community Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services (More than a year)

Pros

Great, fun, energetic atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Only thing is the low pay rate

Oct 21, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Feedback is appreciated by Eliot Management and used to improve our work environment

"Good company with decent benefits. Hard to move up"

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time

Pros

Does good work with kids. There are many programs to work in. You can always find some shifts

Cons

The staff turnover in the Juvenile Justice makes it hard for staff continuity. There is a lot of forced overtime, and not much upward movement.

Feb 3, 2017 – Director of Workforce

It's alway helpful to hear feedback so that we can ensure that we find best practices to reduce these issues. It is appreciate that you took the time to write down your thoughts.

"What One Would Expect From a Growing Non-Profit Organization"

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Lexington, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time

Pros

ECHS, Inc. offers some opportunities for growth; however, the support with returning to higher education is minimum. A multitude of training is offered, some for Continuing Education credit for licensed professionals. The atmosphere genuinely depends on whom an employee works with (including clients and coworkers); which is hit or miss. Plenty of opportunities to engage in multifaceted populations, as long as one is willing to work in various areas of the company. The departments (DD, DCF, DMH) are incredibly different from one another, thus the expectation change. Company offers great health benefits.

Cons

Absolutely a growing company that has expanded too soon without fixing it's crumbling internal structure first. The administration / management lacks critical communication with direct care, ultimately leading to an incredibly high turnover rate of employment. Though ECHS addresses its community as a "team," it does not treat its employers fairly (on MULTIPLE levels), despite there being an (ineffective) union. The company conducts both client and employee "satisfaction surveys" and engages in bureaucratic rhetoric as a response, thus no viable solutions are enacted. Extremely poor support of staff regarding SAFETY concerns; this can be verified with almost any ECHS employee you ask, no matter how long the employee worked for (months to over a decade). Additionally, expect to hold a second and/or third job to manage a reasonable income. You should also expect to work single-staffed and forced time, when the company refuses to fill shifts because they do not want to pay for relief staffing. There have been company emails with team meeting minutes indicating that shifting staff from residence to residence (in order to save PAYROLL) was more important than double (or more) staffing regarding safety.

Advice to Management

Please visit your locations more than every few years. The President, Regional Directors, Team Leaders, Clinical Supervisors still have no idea who some of their own clients and employees are. It is a HUMAN SERVICES corporation, which should treat humans...humanely. So many clients fall through the cracks and can EASILY be helped, yet the red tape seems to never cease. If you support your staff, who sincerely accept such jobs because they care (it is certainly not for the unlivable wages), your company would be one I would recommend to others. Bonuses offered upon hiring (after probation period) won't keep employees; offering bonuses for referrals, won't provide you with more employees because I would not put my loved ones through the stress and pure neglect. It's not worth it. I expect a rhetorical response to this review, as well, and I am incredulous about the authenticity of it.

Oct 21, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for the considerable time you took to make a concrete and clear review. Eliot appreciates these comments and will use this information to ensure we improve our practices and the employee ... More

"Clinician"

Former Employee - Clinician in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinician in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Colleagues at times, company has many locations and many positions.

Cons

The Management is not trained to manage the services they do, example., a site director with a social work degree and no substance abuse training should not supervise someone with a PhD nor should they pretend to understand addiction treatment when they are not remained in the speciality.
    Monies are not appropriately spent, Case management teams are in consistent, one team will provide home vastest, care for a client, another hardly makes contact with another client., ISP are done by a case manager and not with a client and their family or others, clients hardly ever understand the domains on an ISP.

Duplication of services, multi managers, supervisors and less actual care being provided in many departments, CSP, CSS lack training in addiction, lack safety protocol, and understanding of basic counseling for those in crisis.

Advice to Management

Get raining, listen to employees who come to you with concerns, stop passing the buck, stop pretending it's okay to keep having really great qualified and skilled people leaving especially one particular clinic, my first year I saw seven clinicians leave. Intake position was vacant over a year, despite in house staff applied for the job, ask yourselves why you work in the field and then do the work you are being paid the "big bucks to do"

Sep 16, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Your feedback is essential to improving Eliot employees experience. Thank you for taking the time to express your opinion.

6. "Supervisor"

Current Employee - Worker in East Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Worker in East Boston, MA

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We all work as a team at the staff level. We help each other out and cover each other shifts, etc.

Cons

Lack of support to move up into upper management.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who the kids show respect to and how consistent each worker is. Speaks to character.

Sep 16, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for your feedback. We review these comments at all levels of management to ensure that we improve our practices. Hopefully you will also use forums within the company to offer this feedback ... More

"Licensed Mental Health Counselor"

Former Employee - Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Hyannis, MA
    Former Employee - Licensed Mental Health Counselor in Hyannis, MA

Pros

Initially their supervision was infrequent and basic.

Cons

Once a "novice" supervisor replaced the original supervisor a drastic change occurred where there were minute examinations of trivial items and the supervisor and the next level higher up became hostile and punishing.

Advice to Management

I never saw the third level play any role in our monthly meetings in Worcester nor display any "supervision" of the two levels of management I had to deal with. At the "unemployment" hearing the report issued indicated that there had NOT been any violations by me therefore the decision to fire me was not supported by any logic. To the best of my knowledge no one above my 2 levels of management not anyone in Human Resources reacted to this bizarre event!

8. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

Pros

I have worked for Eliot for 7+ years in a number of different positions. I highly recommend working for Eliot if you are looking for a position in the human services field. Eliot has excellent benefits, opportunities for advancement, training, and great people working in each program and division. There are so many opportunities available within the agency.

Cons

Working in human services can be stressful and there are never enough hours in a day to get everything finished. There is high turnover in some programs.

Advice to Management

I think management should spend more time in each program so they can see the hard work that is done on a daily basis and work on increasing employee morale to help retain staff and decrease turnover.

Aug 10, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for this feedback, agree there should be more recognition for the exceptional work our employees provide. We take this feedback seriously and will work on improving our processes.

9. "Difficult place to work"

Former Employee - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Lynn, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good coworkers, exposure to many different populationstyles, benefits ok

Cons

They will over work you, little appreciation from leadership, no raises, pay is not competitive, very intense population with staff often reflecting patient intensity

Advice to Management

Give raises to retain quality staff, offer higher pay to attract more talented staff

Jun 8, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for your review, it is helpful to gain this type of feedback. Rates are currently being reviewed and sign on bonuses have been implemented.

"Great experience-but not easy"

Current Employee - Fee for Service in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Fee for Service in Everett, MA

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-wonderful supervision
    -great coworkers
    -flexible hours
    -professional development opportunities

Cons

-acute population-high burn out rate
    -no benefits unless full time-26 billable hours per week
    -high case load expected

Jun 8, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Your feedback is appreciated and we we take them seriously in improving our work environment.

11. "Intensive Care Coordinator"

Pros

Trainings, professional development, support, co-workers, incentive program

Cons

Union positions, stressful cases, billable hours

Jun 8, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Feedback is appreciated by Eliot and assists us in improving the way in which we operate. Thank you.