Eliot Community Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Current employee"

Current Employee - Director in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Commitment to mission and quality service delivery at all levels and across programs. Large agency with lots of opportunity for growth. Salaries are competitive and in many cases higher than similar positions. Benefits are exceptional compared to comparable agencies.

Cons

The work is hard, but this really isn't a con. The rewards for making a difference in the lives of others are great.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Stay at the forefront of innovation and positioning for the future.

Jul 5, 2017 – Director of Workforce

The time you took to write this review of Eliot is greatly appreciated. Your balance comments are extremely helpful to the organization .

2. "Great Company"

Pros

company growth, quality of services

Cons

None that I can see

"Get ready to work incredibly hard…"

Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor
    Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- amazing coworkers
    - many opportunities for trainings
    - generous vacation, sick time and paid holidays
    - good mileage reimbursement rates
    - reasonable catchment area for services
    - very good experience in the mental health field working with a variety of different populations, diagnoses, etc.

Cons

- absolutely no supervisory support
    - supervisors with very limited experience actually working in the field with the population served
    - micromanagement
    - incredibly high turnover rate
    - fairly low pay in comparison to the workload and expectations
    - zero recognition for good work performance
    - often necessary to work late nights and on weekends without being paid
    - unrealistic expectations with minimal staffing
    - very high caseloads
    - Limited opportunities for growth at the clinical supervisor level
    - very "cliquey"
    - horrific amounts of paperwork

Advice to Management

-Say something nice to the people that you supervise once in a while.
    -Consider giving bonuses or raises after a few years.
    -Provide more support and opportunities for growth.
    -Promote qualified people.

Aug 23, 2017 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for taking the time and being so thorough in your review of Eliot. This feedback is taken seriously and is used to improve our work environment. Hopefully your work will result in a change... More

4. "Steer clear"

Former Employee - Group Care Worker in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Group Care Worker in New Bedford, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of this job...there weren't too many. The only ones I can really think of are that you get to attempt to serve a purpose in society...attempt.

Cons

This job was made harder than it had to be from the greed of this organization. They perform hostile takeovers of other organizations that do things right, then find ways to mess things up. The management is iffy. I had a great director that was carried over from a former program run by the diocese of Boston. The assistant director was brought in by Eliot. A family member of mine worked on the same unit as I did. The assistant director got into a heated argument and my relative was sent away to work at another location. Shortly after I became the target of scape goating. Any little thing that happened would be blamed on me. Even things that occurred on my days off. One day I was pulled into the office, and informed that my options were to resign on the spot or be let go. The New Bedford location is a very shifty place. RUN AWAY!

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

Aug 23, 2017 – Director of Workforce

Your comments will be reviewed and Eliot appreciates the time you took to write your comments.

5. "Good Place to Work"

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time

Pros

Good team to work on, good experience

Cons

Doesn't replace holidays for employees on irregular schedules.

Jul 27, 2017 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for taking time to write this review. Your remarks are taken seriously and used to determine future strategic plans

6. "Residential Coordinator"

I have been working at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very diverse clients & employees , great training opportunities, ability to move around in the company,

Cons

Depending on management team, may not be supportive. All employee trainings are in either Framingham, Lexington or Malden MA... drive may be difficult for some.

Advice to Management

Train staff more to equip them for their job.

Jul 27, 2017 – Director of Workforce

Eliot management team appreciates hearing from our employees and seek to continual improve our work environment. Your comments will be considered in terms of our training tracks.

"I am still employed there in another department"

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor
    Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clients involved in treatment
    Promote within
    13 Paid Holidays Off

Cons

Supervisor Micromanaged
    Did take suggested from Team
    Lots of turn over
    No Diversity in upper management
    No work life balance

Jul 27, 2017 – Director of Workforce

Sorry that the response did not come sooner. Your feedback is important to Eliot. Your comments will be utilized along with recent staff surveys to make improvements to our approach to staff's work... More

"Good company with decent benefits. Hard to move up"

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time

Pros

Does good work with kids. There are many programs to work in. You can always find some shifts

Cons

The staff turnover in the Juvenile Justice makes it hard for staff continuity. There is a lot of forced overtime, and not much upward movement.

Feb 3, 2017 – Director of Workforce

It's alway helpful to hear feedback so that we can ensure that we find best practices to reduce these issues. It is appreciate that you took the time to write down your thoughts.

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynn, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services (More than a year)

Pros

Great, fun, energetic atmosphere to work in.

Cons

Only thing is the low pay rate

Oct 21, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Feedback is appreciated by Eliot Management and used to improve our work environment

"What One Would Expect From a Growing Non-Profit Organization"

Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Specialist in Lexington, MA

I worked at Eliot Community Human Services full-time

Pros

ECHS, Inc. offers some opportunities for growth; however, the support with returning to higher education is minimum. A multitude of training is offered, some for Continuing Education credit for licensed professionals. The atmosphere genuinely depends on whom an employee works with (including clients and coworkers); which is hit or miss. Plenty of opportunities to engage in multifaceted populations, as long as one is willing to work in various areas of the company. The departments (DD, DCF, DMH) are incredibly different from one another, thus the expectation change. Company offers great health benefits.

Cons

Absolutely a growing company that has expanded too soon without fixing it's crumbling internal structure first. The administration / management lacks critical communication with direct care, ultimately leading to an incredibly high turnover rate of employment. Though ECHS addresses its community as a "team," it does not treat its employers fairly (on MULTIPLE levels), despite there being an (ineffective) union. The company conducts both client and employee "satisfaction surveys" and engages in bureaucratic rhetoric as a response, thus no viable solutions are enacted. Extremely poor support of staff regarding SAFETY concerns; this can be verified with almost any ECHS employee you ask, no matter how long the employee worked for (months to over a decade). Additionally, expect to hold a second and/or third job to manage a reasonable income. You should also expect to work single-staffed and forced time, when the company refuses to fill shifts because they do not want to pay for relief staffing. There have been company emails with team meeting minutes indicating that shifting staff from residence to residence (in order to save PAYROLL) was more important than double (or more) staffing regarding safety.

Advice to Management

Please visit your locations more than every few years. The President, Regional Directors, Team Leaders, Clinical Supervisors still have no idea who some of their own clients and employees are. It is a HUMAN SERVICES corporation, which should treat humans...humanely. So many clients fall through the cracks and can EASILY be helped, yet the red tape seems to never cease. If you support your staff, who sincerely accept such jobs because they care (it is certainly not for the unlivable wages), your company would be one I would recommend to others. Bonuses offered upon hiring (after probation period) won't keep employees; offering bonuses for referrals, won't provide you with more employees because I would not put my loved ones through the stress and pure neglect. It's not worth it. I expect a rhetorical response to this review, as well, and I am incredulous about the authenticity of it.

Oct 21, 2016 – Director of Workforce

Thank you for the considerable time you took to make a concrete and clear review. Eliot appreciates these comments and will use this information to ensure we improve our practices and the employee... More