Elite Medical Scribes Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Yuriy Vasylenko, MBA

Pros
  • Working for Elite Medical Scribes is both a challenging and rewarding experience (in 9 reviews)

• This job is really for the experience and I'm excited to use my skills to succeed in the medical field (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage is the only con I have, but this position is really about the experience so I was willing to work with it (in 14 reviews)

• Numerous hours of unpaid training (in 10 reviews)

1. "Medical Scribe"

Former Employee - Medical Scribe in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Medical Scribe in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Elite Medical Scribes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to scribe and shadow physicians from a variety of clinics. They are very flexible with your hours. The senior scribes instruct you efficiently on provider preferences.

Cons

Schedules can conflict with provider and scribe.

"Overall Good Experience"

Current Employee - ER Medical Scribe in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - ER Medical Scribe in College Station, TX

I have been working at Elite Medical Scribes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that you work with during the hiring process are very friendly and helpful. Training is apt for the specialty you'll be working in.

Cons

Communication during the hiring process is confusing and often inadequate. It took me 4 months from when I was hired to actually start on site. That was partly because I was starting at a brand new site (new with scribes anyway). The problem was, I had no idea that this was the case. There was no communication regarding that. Furthermore, I wasn't fully processed in their system until 3 months after I was hired because they forgot to ask me for ID to complete my I-9.

Also there were some glitches in the training process, mainly that conference call training is rarely very effective, especially when you're being trained to use an EMR system and you're doing the training from home and the trainer thinks you have the software on your computer.

3. "Great company - at least at my site"

Former Employee - Emergency Medical Scribe in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Emergency Medical Scribe in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Elite Medical Scribes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Supportive work culture (additional training offered to trainees who are struggling)
    *Excellent training (both classroom + on-site)

Cons

*Very site-specific training, work culture, expectations, etc.

Advice to Management

*Automate process of trading and/or picking up shifts (this occupied excessive amounts of the management team's time)

"Traveling Scribe Trainer"

Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Implementation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Elite Medical Scribes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the positives about working at Elite, has nothing to do with how the company is run. Assuming that you are interested in med/PA/nursing school, you get invaluable experience working in a variety of different medical settings, from surgical specialties at top university hospitals to rural ER/family practice clinics. Plus you get to work closely with doctors (letter of recommendation!), as a scribe and a project manager.
    Traveling on someone else's dime is a nice perk. Elite covers airfare, rental car, housing, and a small per-diem. I worked in the South, New England, and the Midwest, which are all areas I have not really visited before and it was relatively easy to set aside some time to go explore.

Cons

This part of the review is if you are thinking about being a traveling scribe trainer. If you are interested in being a scribe I say go for it, you don't have to interact with Elite as much and you get that much needed clinical experience. Otherwise, read on.

Elite is located in Minnesota and in my 1.5 years with the company, I was never invited to the headquarters or got a chance to put a face to the names from all the emails I was getting. This created a divide between those of us on site and those at HQ. We would have a remote conference most weeks, but it was mostly just orders from on high. When we brought up issues about inefficiencies/bottleneck issues, we would get a half-assed response, which would cause more problems. When we talked about our needs (constant traveling takes a toll) and advocated for benefits, they would just give a vague "we will look into it".

Upper management seemed to become a little vindictive after I brought up some of these issues. I would get in trouble for trivial things, such as turning in a report a few hours late, a report that was due on a Sunday, and they seemed to single me out for the team's actions. It was difficult to bridge the divide that was initially set up by the nature of remote work. Also a high turnover rate is expected in the scribe business, as people leave to go to school, so I think that gave Elite a reason to treat us as expendable pawns and they don't really try to hide it.

In my time with Elite I had 4 different bosses and 4 different HR managers, only 1 of whom left to go to school. It boils down to poor management. Like I said above, there are things I enjoyed as a scribe trainer, which have nothing to do with Elite and everything to do with the doctors, hospital admin, and scribes that I worked with, but I hated the job when I had to deal with the company. To be fair, I got a lot of grief from one manager in particular, who is no longer with the company, and there are good people at the company. However, a lot of the problems stem from upper management, so I don't see the underlying issues go away.

Advice to Management

I went out of my way to do what I could for the doctors, hospital admin, and the scribes, because I enjoyed working with them. There are times when I took on recruiting duties to appease the clients or spent off hours with a struggling scribe and I never got a word of appreciation from the company, just a lot of orders. The scribe trainers/project managers (and site managers after we hand it off to QA) are the representatives of the company. When you mistreat/mismanage the trainers you hurt the relationship between your employees and your clients.

"I would still do it if I could go back, but realize it is tough."

Former Employee - ER Medical Scribe in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - ER Medical Scribe in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

GREAT experience scribing in small ER; chief scribe was super organized; flexible hours; knowledge gained is invaluable for individuals seeking professional school acceptance

Cons

company as a whole is unorganized to the point of negligence; terrible base pay without opportunity for a raise regardless of work performance; nearly positive their was questionable manipulation of taxes leading to reduced tax returns that are inaccurate

Advice to Management

immediately rectify any manipulation occurring in payroll department to avoid legal problems; stop saying how much you appreciate employees and SHOW it..

"Great medical experience"

Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Elite Medical Scribes (More than a year)

Pros

Working with great doctors and other healthcare professionals, networking, learning a lot

Cons

Pay is low, advancement opportunities can be poor if location is small

Advice to Management

Put together a way to give raises to employees

"Great opportunity, Poor management"

Former Employee - Medical Scribe in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Scribe in San Jose, CA

I worked at Elite Medical Scribes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunities given via Elite Medical Scribes are very helpful for pre-health students. The training is also great for the steep learning curve. The overall experience depends on the hospital/clinic you work at.

Cons

Pay - they typically pay half of what they receive from the physicians/clinicians. Management is not always open with discussions about raises/health care benefits. No payment during training - only for travel.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees. Keeping training to the 8-10 shifts. Compensate your trainees during training. Allow raises for good performance.

"Complete Joke"

Current Employee - Chief Scribe in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Chief Scribe in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Elite Medical Scribes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is interesting to read reviews from both sides of the fence. They are either brutally honest or written by a company officials trying to sell what they don't have. Elite is a complete joke. The pay is horrible, corners are consistently cut and people are treated as if they are always replaceable.

Cons

I wouldn't recommend working for Elite to my worst enemy. The ER I worked with was wonderful and the clinicians are why people work here. Elite is the reason they leave. I wish other students would do more research and see you aren't stuck with choosing elite anymore and can gain the experience from other places. I won't be surprised if they are out of business by the end of the year or sell to scribe america.

Advice to Management

Pay is horrible, it's in hundreds of comments, you may want to actually fix that issue. As you can see from other comments, corporate and scribes don't connect at all. Might be another thing you actually work on fixing.

"Good Experience Bad Pay"

Former Employee - Medical Scribe in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Medical Scribe in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Elite Medical Scribes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned from physicians at the top of their specialties. Most of them were kind and willing to answer any questions once out of the visit with the patient. They were the best part of the job.

Cons

Working inconsistent hours.
    Terrible compensation.
    (not relevant to everyone) had clinics in various locations that were anywhere from 15 min to 1 hour away.
    Completely contracted labor, and did not know hardly any of my coworkers.

Advice to Management

Most of your employees are college graduates with aspirations to get into medical school. Treat them like employees and give them some sort of respect. They deserve more than a dollar or two above minimum wage.

"Emergency Dept. Scribe at large Twin Cities hospital"

Former Employee - Product Surveillance Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Product Surveillance Analyst II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Elite Medical Scribes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great way to network with/obtain letters of recommendation from physicians, physician assistants, nursing staff, etc.
    - Great way to expand your medical terminology
    - Great way to observe procedures and learn if medicine is right for you
    - Great way to learn to quickly create a differential diagnosis and flesh out medical decision making
    - Great way to obtain skills relevant to almost ANY future career goal (attention to detail, time management, communication, etc.)

Cons

- Absolutely disgraceful pay for 4-year graduate students
    - Expectation to consistently work nights/weekends/holidays
    - Expectation to work with providers that have voiced they DO NOT want to work with scribes, thus making your shift with these providers dreadful/awkward for both parties
    - Expectation to be able to train new employees after having only worked for the company < 6 months
    - Employee reviews/feedback is largely negative

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more! HCMC pays >$18/hour plus shift differentials for their scribes, which they hire/train in-house. I encourage ANY CURRENT EMS employee to apply to HCMC, or a similar hospital that hires scribes internally.