Elizabeth Arden Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Elizabeth Arden Chairman, President, and CEO E. Scott Beattie
E. Scott Beattie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is a focus with an understanding family relationships are critical for happy successful associates (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, you can learn a lot about business here (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Also some roles have poor work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• No work life balance, except for some (in 4 reviews)

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Receptionist in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Receptionist in McLean, VA

Pros

if you like being bored, it gives you ample time to stare into a wall of shampoos and think about life.

Cons

Very cliquey environment with other employers out to make you look bad. Competitive, cut-throat, gossipy and your work hours will change rapidly without your consent.

Advice to Management

Stop being terrible people.

"Very disappointed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Best reason to work for this company is that this company is well known for their skin products and they are very good.

Cons

No communication, a lot of gossip, they talk down to you when you do not make your goal, threats, cut your hours, very unprofessional environment, foul language by district manager.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep your employees you have to treat them like adults and human beings, have one on ones with your employees, best way to have great customer service it starts by making your employees happy so they can have that great positive attitude.

"Avoid this employer"

I have been working at Elizabeth Arden full-time

Pros

Manufacture and distribute decent and known products but no pros of working there.

Cons

Poor work ethics. Incompetent management. Zero work-life balance. Very traditional methods of working. Not open to evolution and changing for the better. Below-average pay and benefits. Employees stagnating in their roles. Internal politics. Insecure managers.

4. "Culture and values are not aligned for todays employee."

Former Employee - Middle Management in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Usually good salary and good benefits. Interviews are given in a timely manner.

Cons

culture and values are not good. This company works off of quarter to quarter results and has no desire to support it's employees work life balance.

Advice to Management

Seek assistance on how to achieve today's objective while still meeting the organizations goals.

5. "Chaos in a toxic, leaderless environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Summer hours all year round.

Cons

A mom and pop shop trying to act like a big company. 3 months is their idea of long-term planning - everything is quarter to quarter. Bad raises, no bonuses unless you're in management. Zero leadership, no future vision, and little room for advancement. No training and awful morale - a complete culture of blame.

Advice to Management

Provide a realistic long-term strategy. Implement a reward / recognition program. Train management to become managers. Stop pointing fingers and start being proactive. Make better acquisitions.

"Stay far away from this toxic place"

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time

Pros

- Get to work on all parts of the brand (concept, product development, launch, growth)
    - Interesting brands

Cons

- Constant reorganization over the past 3 years by literally playing musical chairs in marketing. One day you could be working on one brand and the next who knows...
    - Every place has politics, but this place is toxic. Your fellow employees will throw you under the bus so fast in order to have a scapegoat for anything and everything.
    - Employees are not valued because they are considered headcount and easily replaceable.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring externally from CPG and develop your own training program instead of buying talent that has already been trained in brand management.
    Value your employees and their work life balance because people are so unhappy that they get sick all the time.

"Unorganized, undervalued, unappreciated and under paid!"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I met who have also left.

Cons

This company does not value its employees and is extremely unorganized. They expect you to drop everything and come to a meeting in a moments notice when that meeting doesn't even pertain to you. During my employment there they thought they were doing us a favor by giving us an hourly rate due to construction delays, but what they failed to understand or care about was the pathetic amount they gave us didn't pay for all of the debt we incurred during our time there. Aside from the the commute alone, paying for lunches, etc. the pathetic 8.00 an hour they paid us didn't even cover a Metro Card. They later upped it to 10 and thought they had given us gold. When construction went on for another delay they said they would give us all a bonus. (Of course it was taxed) but you had to stay for another 4 weeks to see it. If you work for them prepare yourself to live on their hourly wage and not a penny more. You have to work on at least 11 clients a week in order to make a commission. Sound easy? It's impossible! All we did was work on employees. They give their corporate people huge discounts and then those people don't even tip you on the full bill. Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! By the way, they don't advertise, so seeing 11 clients a week is next to impossible. We were told, "Here are your business cards, the rest is up to you now." Did I mention the cards were two months late? Oh, and if you asked for a schedule so that you might be able to "plan" your life, they looked at you as though you had asked them for a liver transplant. We were told there was a massive advertising campaign and it never happened. I won't even get started on the artistic team they hired.
    We cleaned the salon every day for a week, unpacked boxes, moved boxes and unpacked them again and again. At one point a few of the office employees had a breakfast and she yelled at one of the styling team for taking some orange juice. Real humane!
    I kept telling myself it would get better, but sadly, it only got worse. Stay away from this company! I saw people lose their entire savings trying to stay afloat there and all of the promises that were made that went by the wayside. We were always reminded of how "replaceable" we all were.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting your salon staff to do the job you do with the salaries you make and to work the hours that you work. We are not salaried employees!!! Stop using your employees to your advantage. I was hired to be a stylist at your salon, not the maid service, the packing service or the group talk service to talk about your new products and evaluate them. They are called focus groups and they get paid 100.00 a session, not 8.00. Wake up and smell 2014! People want to work with a company that is conscious and treats its people well. As much as you try to advance Elizabeth Arden, you might want to just accept that fact that it will always be the place everyone buys their mother a gift certificate to on Mother's Day. It will never be more than that because the people who run this corporation are still stuck in that mode. Wake up and treat your employees better-then maybe you might see a change in your growth. It's not always about the bottom line-especially when you are using your employees to make your quotas.

"Unprofessional company!"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good discounts on products.

Cons

I worked for the Elizabeth Arden outlet. It was a terrible abusive atmosphere. Our district manager had a huge anger problem and would fire anyone at whim! We had an employee who was a bully and always got her way with corporate. She set out to get me and my store manager fired, and got her wish! She still works there and was even promoted to my job. They offered little to no training for management, and low pay. Please stay away from this company, it is bad news.

Advice to Management

Learn not to have favorites and give your employees some proper training!

9. "Lack of credible leadership direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Has hired top talent. Good products.

Cons

Lack of direction from the CEO. More of a Wall Street deal-maker than a leader. In denial about tragic state of business.
    A lot of scrambling at end of quarters to build and ship cheap products without considering longterm consequences. Any sale, anywhere, at any price is acceptable at Arden.

Advice to Management

Not sure about competence of the Board of Directors - way past time for them to step up.

"Horrible corporate management"

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Elizabeth Arden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working there are friendships with fellow staff, other than that there's not much to recommend.

Cons

Micromangement by out of touch and uncaring corporate office, they expect loyalty from staff who are underpaid and just used them. There is zero holiday pay even though we give up our holidays, overtime only when extremely short staffed(they make sure that's kept to a minimal), no benefits for part time staff, and of course hours cut during slow seasons, sometimes to less than 10 hours per week. For that, they expect loyalty.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your staff who are running your stores, you get what you give.