Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation "egpaf" Reviews | Glassdoor

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation Employee Reviews about "egpaf"

Updated Nov 6, 2018

3.9
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation President and CEO Chip Lyons (no image)
Chip Lyons
Pros
Cons
  • "An ongoing theme is once an employee hits the two year mark (more for entry level positions) there is not an opportunity for growth(in 6 reviews)

• "Can be a bit "top heavy" with many managers leading to a bureaucratic decision making environment(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "egpaf"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are amazing. My department and HR really support me and my goals so that I reach my career goals and grow as an employee. This is a great company to work at after college. I have learned so much in my time here. I have a complete health and benefits package.

Cons

Not a lot of team/company bonding activities. This is particularly problematic since EGPAF is on two floors and they don't really interact.

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2018-11-06
  2. "EGPAF - Why I recommend working here"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing mission /work, culture is beyond fantastic - you will feel like you are among family, supportive management, work life balance, outstanding benefits, office provides free snacks and fancy coffee (bonus!) and EGPAF really values career development!

Cons

N/A - I love coming to work everyday!

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2018-09-26

"Wonderful mission but very top-heavy and poorly managed."

Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I admit that the mission and work done abroad is wonderful, but the pros end there.

Cons

DC office only (country offices not included in this review) - EGPAF prides itself at being the best in PMTCT, but this has led to hiring famous people/divas. I think this comes from Chip directly who has surrounded himself with his friends/cronies. The goal is to hire from the outside and not promote from within, which is silly if someone has highly rated performance. Lower-level programming staff is worked to the bone with little opportunity for development or even thanks. If you want a chance to learn and grow, do not work her. If you want mindless tasks with no thanks and arrogance, this is the place with you.

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2015-03-06
  4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Corporate Services in Washington, DC

I worked at Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

EGPAF has a very passionate group of employees which makes it a great place to work because everyone loves the mission of the organization so much. Whether you have or have not worked in public health before, there is a ton to learn from this environment. The office is very laid back and has a "get your work done and you'll be fine" mentality, meaning if you perform well and work hard, no one is checking when you clock in or out; it's a very flexible environment with options for teleworking and flex schedules. From my own experience and watching other staff, if you do a great job with you role, you will be rewarded with a promotion and more money, and many managers are watching out for staff for additional opportunities so staff can grow their experience horizontally as well. Lastly, the benefits and time off perks are awesome.

Cons

I did not personally have these challenges, but due to the size of the work environment in the US, it is difficult for some employees to grow past a certain level. Specifically, employees affected are those who are further along in their careers and the next step is management, but there is not always a management position open so that promotional growth is not always possible.

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2014-10-27
  5. "Great Organization, great people, great mission"

Former Employee - Operations in Washington, DC

Pros

EGPAF is a wonderful organization with a mission everyone can get behind - eradicating pediatric AIDS around the world. They have offices in 12 Africa countries plus India and China, so lots of opportunities for interesting travel.

Cons

Like any non-profit you will not get rich working here, but the pay IS competitive compared to other non-profits in the DC area.

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2013-09-26

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - International Human Resources Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working for the Foundation and think it is full of great people doing admirable work. The organization has some of the best benefits offerings I've ever seen, including paid parental leave, tuition assistance, and a generous 403(b) match. It's a familial atmosphere that promotes events like 'EGPAF Trivia Night' and a companywide potluck Thanksgiving. Even small things, like upgraded coffee pots and silverware in the kitchens, indicate that employees are valued. My manager was extremely flexible with my schedule, which was great as I am a part-time student. While there's always a lot of work to be done, you can generally do it on your own terms to achieve that elusive 'work/life balance.' I would absolutely have stayed there longer if the job itself had been better aligned with my long-term professional goals.

Cons

Like any midsize NGO, the budget is tight and growth opportunities (in terms of promotions, not professional development) are limited. You have to be satisfied with your job and seek opportunities for professional growth (additional assignments, conferences, trainings, etc) to thrive. That said, employees are promoted from within fairly regularly.

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2013-02-07

"Great Mission, Great Training Experience, Poor Long Term Prospects"

Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation

Pros

In a world where humanitarian assistance used to be king, Elisabeth Glaser (EGPAF), used to be tops. The mission of the organization: to eradicate pediatric HIV/AIDS is incredibly noble. Its execution is average. Worldwide travel opportunities exist. The ability to learn niche knowledge for public health and finance professionals is great. For accountants and financiers in particular, grants and donor accounting will be the focus. Travel to one of twelve overseas offices is possible. Excellent pay and benefits.

Cons

There is a culture of "keep quiet" and "don't challenge." Generally, most folks should consider this organization as a springboard to better managed, more challenging humanitarian development jobs. If you are new to this area, or need a job and receive an offer: take it. Consider this move a temporary one, unless you enjoy working with the status quo. High turnover (40% annually), says it all.

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2010-05-11
  8. "Passionate, Mission Oriented Organization"

Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation full-time

Pros

Mission Focus: The Foundation is very passionate about eliminating pediatric AIDS and the message from the very top (CEO) is that we can do it, and there is a clear demonstrable effort that EGPAF's resources, talent, etc is continuously being aligned towards this singular objective. Very smart CEO who is able to "rally the troops" with a coherent articulation of our work and what it will take to eliminate pediatric AIDS Career Growth: I work in one of EGPAF's Africa country offices and have been with Foundation for over 5 Years. Career growth has been real and though I have occasionally missed out on promotion opportunities, I cannot complain about career growth and in my country, I have seen the same with my colleagues. It's not a huge organization though so there is no 100% guarantee that one will always be promoted as positions at the top are only so many. Culture: Friendly, hugely exciting Benefits: Salary wise, not top of the market, but extremely competitive benefits such as medical, tuition, 13th month package

Cons

From a Country Office perspective, EGPAF can better articulate its merit based pay in philosophy in practical terms as very often, no statistically significant distinction between high performers and poor performers in terms of %increments Also, as with any office, occasional office politics and perceptions from staff that management is not consultative enough

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2014-05-09

"An OK place"

I worked at Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation

Pros

EGPAF does really meaningful work, makes you feel like you are part of something important.

Cons

Well, like any workplace, beaurocracy.

Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation2012-01-11

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews