Elkay Manufacturing Reviews in Oak Brook, IL | Glassdoor

Oak Brook, IL

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timothy J. (Tim) Jahnke

Pros
  • Family owned, great people to work with (in 10 reviews)

• Great people working at Elkay, and the company appears to be heading in the right direction (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management needs to take more accountability for failures (in 5 reviews)

• I did not have contact with many upper management personnel, so I can't speak to them (in 4 reviews)

"Making a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've never worked anyplace else in my career that focused so much on making a difference in the world. Every one of us gets PAID time off to go volunteer at our favorite charities. And they encourage departments and teams to go volunteer together, because not only does it help the community, but we build closer relationships that pay off back at work. And it's true. People I hardly ever spoke to before we went on an outing together are now friendly to me when we pass in the hall. It's pretty great, and something I am actually pretty proud of.

Cons

Some of the cubicles in my area are not really private enough. I can hear my neighbors, and it's distracting.

Advice to Management

Keep providing great opportunities to work on projects across departments, so people keep growing in their responsibilities and experiences. It makes a difference for folks like me.

May 15, 2017 – Corp Comm

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to tell us a little more about your experience. We love that you love volunteering -- and we're proud of you too! :) It's people like ... More

2. "great culture and benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the family culture that empowers employees. The company is growing exponentially which makes me feel secure

Cons

nothing bad to say here!

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family owned, great people to work with. Company is growing and has zero debt. Most management is approachable, some managers could learn from them

Cons

Overwhelming growth in the past 4 years has caused quality issues but the past year has improved dramatically with new processes in effect.

Advice to Management

Listen more to suggestions from reps, many have good ideas.

"Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people who are committed to Elkay's goals and who really enjoy their work. Very low beaurocracy and the company is always open to new ideas and innovation. The pay is usually at the higher end and there is a lot of internal opportunity for advancement. You feel very appreciated for the work that you do and there is a definite feeling of being a member of the team. Family owned and very stable.

Cons

The company is larger and so there is some contact that will never be in person, just over the phone. Sometimes it is nice to put a face to the name.

"Awesome company with a great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, caring leaders, strong value orientation. The empowerment level is very high. There isn't a lot of red tape to go through in order to make things happen. You can make your job your own.

The company itself is in growth mode which is creating new opportunity. Also, Elkay is investing in state of the art technology which is exciting!

Cons

We run a bit lean.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Solid company with minor flaws"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company prides itself on being family owned and in business forever. You definitely feel like you are a part of the family when you work there. The first thing they tell you when you accept their job offer is "welcome to the family!"

I have definitely learned a lot in my field there and feel like the company is very open to my department's growth which is great. We are always encouraged to learn and grow in our careers. You see the CEO and board members around the office frequently because they are very hands on people. I always found that to be awesome. The last company I worked for was also family owned and the president and CEO was never around or never wanted to answer any questions. Communication at Elkay is great and they are always looking for suggestions for improvement from employees.

Benefits are pretty standard. The headquarters location is a pretty average workspace and they are looking for a new place where we can continue to thrive.

Cons

There are very few cons that I can list here but the main one that I have noticed in my time at Elkay is almost a fostering of ineptitude. Eventhough the majority of the workforce is full of greatly passionate people who are sincere and dedicated there are unfortunately those who have been able to hang around by doing barely a thing just because they know certain people. It puts a strain on projects as they hinder the productivity. I don't understand why these few are able to be kept on board when there are frequent signs of their being incapable of completing any tasks assigned to them without making someone else do it or making major mistakes. If there are several people over the years demonstrating the person's incapacity to follow through, shouldn't they be let go in order to bring someone else in who will be easier to work with and not cause constant issues with workflow?

Advice to Management

Consider implementing a faster moving track for those showing incapacity in their job duties. Elkay is too nice in this regard but if a person hinders productivity, realize they will not change and let them go.

"In Decline"

Former Employee - Vice President in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

90 plus years of making sinks, cabinets, fountains and other plumbing products. They are family owned a with deep Chicago history.

Cons

Elkay was once a proud brand. American Standard, Kohler, Moen, Franke and Blanco all market far better sinks. Elkay isn't even available at Lowe's anymore. Home Depot carries few sinks. Even the big plumbing distribution companies have minimized Elkay due to their poor service and high pricing. On the cabinet side, MasterBrands, Masco and American Woodmark offer significant quality, value and quicker delivery solutions. The Board, unfortunately, is weak and not guiding the elderly family chairman. So sad.

Advice to Management

I'm perplexed how how a CEO that delivers industry-minimum profits survives as long as he has. The CEO tracks everything about the Green Bay packers far ahead of anything business related. Boy, could I tell stories. The new president of cabinets is in a significant struggle as revenues are declining rapidly - he is completely out of his capabilities and incredibly slow to lead. The international business is a significant strategic failure. BOD: Change is needed now for this company to survive the next decade.

Oct 10, 2016 – Corp Comm

We are pleased to be able to give you an update -- Elkay has been experiencing a near record year in many areas of the business. Overall, revenues are up and we’ve signed significant new business ... More

"customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

more training would be great

Aug 16, 2016 – Corp Comm

Thanks - We love to hear positive feedback! We will pass your comments along to our Talent Development team...

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great values and people. They truly care about the employee as a person. Very conservative and responsible company.

Cons

Haven't kept up with the times regarding work environment (vacation policy, dress, etc)

"Management"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, some of the best I've worked with.

Cons

Too many initiatives going at once. Hard to focus.

Advice to Management

Narrow down your focus and stick to it.