Elkay Manufacturing Reviews in Oak Brook, IL | Glassdoor

Oak Brook, IL

4.4
Timothy J. (Tim) Jahnke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Family owned, great people to work with (in 11 reviews)

• Collaborative environment, growing company, good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I did not have contact with many upper management personnel, so I can't speak to them (in 4 reviews)

• HIgh turnover like all other companies in the area (in 3 reviews)

1. "great culture and benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the family culture that empowers employees. The company is growing exponentially which makes me feel secure

Cons

nothing bad to say here!

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Entry Level Sales Representative in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family owned, great people to work with. Company is growing and has zero debt. Most management is approachable, some managers could learn from them

Cons

Overwhelming growth in the past 4 years has caused quality issues but the past year has improved dramatically with new processes in effect.

Advice to Management

Listen more to suggestions from reps, many have good ideas.

"Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people who are committed to Elkay's goals and who really enjoy their work. Very low beaurocracy and the company is always open to new ideas and innovation. The pay is usually at the higher end and there is a lot of internal opportunity for advancement. You feel very appreciated for the work that you do and there is a definite feeling of being a member of the team. Family owned and very stable.

Cons

The company is larger and so there is some contact that will never be in person, just over the phone. Sometimes it is nice to put a face to the name.

"Solid company with minor flaws"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company prides itself on being family owned and in business forever. You definitely feel like you are a part of the family when you work there. The first thing they tell you when you accept their job offer is "welcome to the family!"

I have definitely learned a lot in my field there and feel like the company is very open to my department's growth which is great. We are always encouraged to learn and grow in our careers. You see the CEO and board members around the office frequently because they are very hands on people. I always found that to be awesome. The last company I worked for was also family owned and the president and CEO was never around or never wanted to answer any questions. Communication at Elkay is great and they are always looking for suggestions for improvement from employees.

Benefits are pretty standard. The headquarters location is a pretty average workspace and they are looking for a new place where we can continue to thrive.

Cons

There are very few cons that I can list here but the main one that I have noticed in my time at Elkay is almost a fostering of ineptitude. Eventhough the majority of the workforce is full of greatly passionate people who are sincere and dedicated there are unfortunately those who have been able to hang around by doing barely a thing just because they know certain people. It puts a strain on projects as they hinder the productivity. I don't understand why these few are able to be kept on board when there are frequent signs of their being incapable of completing any tasks assigned to them without making someone else do it or making major mistakes. If there are several people over the years demonstrating the person's incapacity to follow through, shouldn't they be let go in order to bring someone else in who will be easier to work with and not cause constant issues with workflow?

Advice to Management

Consider implementing a faster moving track for those showing incapacity in their job duties. Elkay is too nice in this regard but if a person hinders productivity, realize they will not change and let them go.

"In Decline"

Former Employee - Vice President in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

90 plus years of making sinks, cabinets, fountains and other plumbing products. They are family owned a with deep Chicago history.

Cons

Elkay was once a proud brand. American Standard, Kohler, Moen, Franke and Blanco all market far better sinks. Elkay isn't even available at Lowe's anymore. Home Depot carries few sinks. Even the big plumbing distribution companies have minimized Elkay due to their poor service and high pricing. On the cabinet side, MasterBrands, Masco and American Woodmark offer significant quality, value and quicker delivery solutions. The Board, unfortunately, is weak and not guiding the elderly family chairman. So sad.

Advice to Management

I'm perplexed how how a CEO that delivers industry-minimum profits survives as long as he has. The CEO tracks everything about the Green Bay packers far ahead of anything business related. Boy, could I tell stories. The new president of cabinets is in a significant struggle as revenues are declining rapidly - he is completely out of his capabilities and incredibly slow to lead. The international business is a significant strategic failure. BOD: Change is needed now for this company to survive the next decade.

Elkay Manufacturing Response

Oct 10, 2016 – Corp Comm

We are pleased to be able to give you an update -- Elkay has been experiencing a near record year in many areas of the business. Overall, revenues are up and we’ve signed significant new business... More

"customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

more training would be great

Elkay Manufacturing Response

Aug 16, 2016 – Corp Comm

Thanks - We love to hear positive feedback! We will pass your comments along to our Talent Development team...

"Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great values and people. They truly care about the employee as a person. Very conservative and responsible company.

Cons

Haven't kept up with the times regarding work environment (vacation policy, dress, etc)

"Management"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great, some of the best I've worked with.

Cons

Too many initiatives going at once. Hard to focus.

Advice to Management

Narrow down your focus and stick to it.

9. "Marketing and Pricing Analyst"

Current Intern - Pricing Analyst and Marketing in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Intern - Pricing Analyst and Marketing in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Elkay Manufacturing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Environment, Great People, Awesome Business!! Individuals that work there are well supportive of your role and are there to help you succeed. Great place to intern!

Cons

Hours were long and work gets really repetitive (Depending on what you are interning)

"It's all about the people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Elkay Manufacturing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has some very talented and dedicated individuals in most areas of the business. This is a perfect company to start with and stay at for 2-3 years. (Due to lack of resources, you are exposed to many things and can learn a great deal in a short amount of time.)

Cons

Extremely lean in resources; management heavy. HR department has gone downhill over the last several years to the point of jeopardizing the company's culture that they have spent decades building in the first place. The majority of senior management is weak. Lacks in long-term strategies and focus. Overall impression is that the senior leadership puts themselves first and not the company and it's people.

Advice to Management

Put your bonus and pride aside, unite yourselves and together as a team you can achieve great things.