Ellation Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 77 reviews

2.6
Ellation CEO Tom Pickett
Tom Pickett
Pros
  • "If you like anime you'll get to be around a lot of people who like(in 15 reviews)

• "I've worked at Ellation on the Crunchyroll side for 1(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not even upper management has a clue, let alone regular managers(in 11 reviews)

• "It’s obvious to anyone with eyeballs and a brain that Warner has no interest in Ellation, Crunchyroll, or VRV, except for the assets they can strip out(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Lot Changing but Great Opportunities"

I have been working at Ellation full-time

Pros

-You can thrive if you deal with change and ambiguity well -Things are being sorted out right now but the long-term is bright and feels good with the backing of some bigger companies like Warner -A place where there still is fun too

Cons

-Ambiguity can be hard -While big company backing is a pro it can also get in the way at times from a true startup feel.

Advice to Management

-Sort it out quickly and get to our roots

Ellation2019-02-23

"Learn & Grow"

Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Ellation full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Online Catalog of 2000+ Udemy Courses. I've learned Product Management, SQL, and Interviewing Best Practices since starting in 2017. + The people here are AMAZING. I've learned a ton working with all types of managers within Product, Engineering, Design, Marketing, Legal, and so on. The knowledge transfer from each department has helped boost my confidence in telling the Ellation story to super serve... fans! + Inter department collaboration for physical fitness, music collaboration, and celebrating Lunar New Year | Black History Month | Womens History Month have all been great experiences.

Cons

Not necessarily a con but process is still being built out across some organizations

Advice to Management

Build camaraderie and connection through ERG groups. A lot of people here have unique skills and creative hobbies that could help level up the company in various ways.

Ellation2019-03-27

"Beware Mostly Smoke and Mirrors"

I have been working at Ellation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun office environment; Cool and interesting people; Enthusiastic teams; hip branding that makes the office and the website look cool; recently acquired by Warner Media so may gain more support; amazing fans

Cons

Terrible communication in teams and between teams; Lots of long emails with ideas but no resolution; No ownership and lots of turfing and shirking of projects and responsibilities; Poor executive leadership; Lots of cliques; Limited To no vision or strategy especially now that the company has been acquired; everyone at this company is extremely overworked and has too much on their plate; no formal process in place;... everything is a frenzied free for all; reporting structures make no sense and key projects are understaffed, underfunded or supported by Volunteers who come and go as they please or as projects interest them; recruiters are charming and quick talking know how to show you what they want you to see but once you start working here you’ll see the truth which is a bunch of smoke and mirrors; employees want rewards and kudos when they haven’t done much or really have just done what they’re supposed to do based on their role; rampant bullying; persistent question of who is really in charge and who’s direction should we be following (Warner? AT&T? Otter?)

Advice to Management

This company will be in for a huge shock once Warner Media and AT&T fully take over. Stop pretending to be better Than you are.

Ellation2019-09-27

"This company is all sorts of screwed up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ellation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Anime is cool. Benefits are nice, free catered food Mondays through Thursdays, some colleagues are very nice and genuine, but are few and far between. Honestly though, none of these pros are worth it.

Cons

Talent and skill are not awarded here; tenure is. You can easily tell the ones who have it great and love it here all have been at this company since the dawn of time. There’s no transparency at all for anyone that is not an executive or part of upper management, and many people are leaving whenever they get a chance. Some also just disappear overnight and are never talked about again. No one really knows why. My... guess is that they’re downsizing drastically since that huge merger happened, and to avoid headlines and bad press, they’re blaming things on some of these employees and getting rid of them that way. Upper management and executives are ignorant about who is actually competent versus who is barely qualified to make coffee. Certain management have zero knowledge in their supposed realm of expertise, and base performance on how much you love anime or how good you are at pleasing your higher ups. Communication is non-existent. Worse, instead of working together, certain department heads encourage being difficult to other teams to prove a petty argument. Like really? Is this grade school? The worst part about this place is how downright malicious some people are. Some of these problem managers will give subordinates a hard time and disguise it as “training an employee.” But don’t expect HR to resolve anything; they “listen” and then dismiss issues altogether, so nothing ever improves. The only thing you can rely on HR for is weird seminars or activities that don’t resolve any real problems in the workplace, like finding out your “workplace personality.” Like... okay? Basically, if you love anime and want an honest work environment, do yourself a favor and avoid this place entirely; you’ll hate anime if you end up working here. Crunchyroll sounds like a great place to work (because who doesn’t love anime?), but in reality, it’s a crapshoot. It’s a terrible company full of immature bullies that will expect you to suck up to them cause they’ve been here longer than you. If you can’t do that, you’ll inevitably lose your job for not being a team player.

Advice to Management

To be honest, it feels like you guys are beyond help. People have tried to talk to you to improve management methods, communicate openly and fairly, and all you guys do is pretend everything is fine and have random stuff like conflict resolution sessions that none of the problem people attend because they’re “too busy.” Some of the ones that should be fired are the ones who’ve actually been here the longest. Good... luck with your sinking ship.

Ellation2019-08-15

"Low pay Lots of hours"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Ellation full-time for more than a year

Pros

So there's food 4 days a week, not always good but hey its free. If you like anime you'll get to be around a lot of people who like anime, which will be a double edged sword if you aren't watching it every day.

Cons

Under paid. You will work long hours. Have an obnoxious amount of meetings that don't lead towards anything. They spend a lot of money on things that aren't helping them reach goals. I would never recommend this place to even the biggest anime fan unless they want to be apart of the mean girls environment. Department heads fake nice to each other and go to their teams and encourage being difficult to other teams.... Anime is a difficult industry and this is a difficult company. If you do work there you will find out quickly who is favored at this company.

Advice to Management

Don't let people who've been there longer act like they own the place everyone's opinion matters. And changes need to be made to improve departments working together. Figure out an actual direction for the company that is sustainable.

Ellation2019-07-08

"Don't let the 'featured review' fool you!"

I have been working at Ellation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch, camaraderie within teams (shame its because we all know we're going to be laid of within 12 months - we can all read between the lines of what John Stankey is saying!)

Cons

You never know who you're working for from one minute to the next. VRV? Crunchyroll? Otter? WarnerMedia? AT&T? Not even upper management has a clue, let alone regular managers. Cross-team communication is a joke, everyone is doing their own thing. Morale is the worst out of any company i've worked for.

Advice to Management

Be honest with staff. You used to be transparent, and now you tell us nothing. Do the ethical thing and tell us if we're going to be laid off, so we can find a job beforehand.

Ellation2019-06-05

Ellation Response

June 10, 2019VP of People

We appreciate you taking time to provide feedback about your experience working with us at Ellation. We would invite you to reach out directly to Tom, Tyler, or any of the Staff to discuss your sentiments directly. We want to be clear that there is NO plan for any lay off as you suggest, nor would we want to panic folks with this misinformation. Crunchyroll, VRV, and Rooster Teeth are brands that are squarely part of the WarnerMedia Entertainment family (and is also discussed in Tom’s Corner today on Pyxis). We know it has been a lot of change and evolution as we became part of WarnerMedia and can appreciate how it may feel different than the past.

"Don't even bother"

I have been working at Ellation

Pros

Glassdoor forces me to add 5 words .

Cons

It's a place for all creativity and ambition to die. Look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

We know you're all on retainer and are bailing once the ship starts to sink. Just leave.

Ellation2019-04-20

"​Opportunity Awaits​"

I have been working at Ellation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Passionate coworkers - It really is for fans, by fans, and it's encouraging to work alongside people who really are genuinely excited by what we do and love the industry. Great office - big, bright, and colorful Lunch every day is awesome. Dog friendly office. Located right by public transit. Growth opps avail to those who are scrappy and really work for it

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but Ellation still operates like a startup - small teams, heavy workload. Could be seen as a con to come, but also presents opps to dig in and make an impact. Powell can be a little sketchy - it's very touristy and during conventions or over the holidays, it's pretty packed.

Ellation2019-02-22

"Circling the drain"

I have been working at Ellation full-time

Pros

• Good benefits • People are really nice, overall • Catered lunch and dinner

Cons

• Company took an immediate nosedive after the WarnerMedia acquisition, budgets got cut, hiring was frozen, product development went into the weeds, and management seems hopelessly outmatched by the new corporate masters. • Institutional influence has coalesced around one particular team, the social team, at the expense of the company as a whole. Unfortunately this team is the least experienced, least capable group... in the company. • Upper management is largely absent in the day-to-day, from the CEO to the various product GMs, to several important team leads (including the social team lead, who works remotely). • In light of the ownership change, senior people have started to leave the company. It’s clear that anyone who can is looking for an exit - you can hear senior executives having phone interviews for new jobs. • Morale is abysmal. It’s obvious to anyone with eyeballs and a brain that Warner has no interest in Ellation, Crunchyroll, or VRV, except for the assets they can strip out.

Advice to Management

Astroturfed reviews aside, there are no future opportunities with this company. Stop lying to the staff. We’re not idiots, we can see what’s going on.

Ellation2019-03-19

"Nice people but company focus is on image and agenda rather than quality"

I worked at Ellation full-time

Pros

A lot of nice people and positive attitudes for the most part. Free lunches catered.

Cons

Although everyone at the workplace was polite and pleasant, this is a very radical leftist social-agenda-driven company that could make any employee not totally enthusiastic about those agendas feel uncomfortable. This company presents themselves as fair, open-minded, and accepting of all people, but they are all about diversity hiring. I personally observed someone in an upper position openly talking about making... their hiring decisions, based not on merit or experience but based on race and lifestyle. I also observed a situation in which a perfectly good candidate for a job opening was dismissed out of hand, and in private discussion the reason given for dismissal was not the candidate's qualifications, but the candidate's religion. Despite presenting themselves as a very pro-woman-female-driven studio, my observation was female employees given all the public exposure, and a backbone of male employees doing much of the internal heavy lifting and decision making on projects behind the scenes.

Advice to Management

Overall the atmosphere in the workplace is pleasant but the company seems to value image and agenda over substance and quality of product. Put a stop to the diversity hiring. I know you want the company to look cool and hip but start equally valuing employees based on merit, experience, and qualifications, not their race or lifestyle description.

Ellation2019-02-08