Elle Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Michelle Banfield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Account Manager? (Salesman)"

I worked at Elle Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting, learn a bunch, most people are great, CEO makes sure you get what you earned. Lots of walking.

Cons

Wasnt the tight fit for me... Did not realise it was a door to door sales type thing, and often feels way to pushy for me, I watched people get angry when they were told no and then they almost forcibly asked why, also had one guy yell "language barrier" as we left to imply that we didnt get the sale because the women was unable to speak english well... everyone else understood her completely. It wasnt proffessonal in that aspect.

Advice to Management

On the applicacationd Id rather it detail that it is door to door selling rather than just direct marketing, some people would prefer that type of job, and you'd probably have less of a turn over rate. Some will, Some won't, So what. I do think you have hired some great people, its just that sometimes some lack professional qualities that are looked for.

"Awful Company to work for"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Elle Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They're always hiring because of the insane turnover rate. There's not any real pros to this place because honestly they aren't even a real company

Cons

I worked here for a solid two weeks. The emailed me saying they found my résumé on indeed, which I could strange because the fact that I've done construction my whole life. But I figured I'd check it out and see. The whole interview process is 3 separate interviews. The first one you meet with the assistant manager and he just talks about how awesome the company is and asks vague questions. If you get called back for a second interview (everyone does) then you get taken on a lunch interview to chipotle. During my interview I saw 3 other "leaders" interviewing people around the restaurant. During this interview is when you find out what the job really is. It's not account management. It's door to door sales. But they'll never out right say that. You have to know the terms, which I didn't until now. Anyways, I was hired and then was told it was 100% commission on my first day in "the field". You work from 11-8 every day but they expect you at the office by 8 every day. Then you drive out to anywhere in the metro area on your own gas, to push AT&T u-verse in neighborhoods where people have already tried to sell it multiple times. Most of these people barely make enough to get by because no one wants to sign up for u-verse. They promised you 100,000$+ a year within a year but that's bs. The owner barely makes 40,000 a year. When you leave the "job" they belittle you telling you to go back to McDonald's. Lucky for me since I left there I got a job doing HVAC work on military bases across Oklahoma and Arkansas. I now make 42$ an hour too. Way more then I ever could have at Elle

Advice to Management

Close the doors and try to be a REAL business

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Elle Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the fun work environment and the people I work with. Everyone is really helpful and I like that the president of the company is always readily available and has an "open door policy". They do lots of fun office events and charity events, which I think is cool. The training is really good as well. I came straight out of college so I haven't had any sales/marketing experience but I think I have learned more in the short time I've been here than at any other position in any other company. So far I'm really enjoying what I do here and I can see a long term career opportunity.

Cons

The interview process is pretty extensive. They do three rounds of interviews and I have some friends that also applied that didn't get invited back for the second interview.

Advice to Management

n/a

"Worst place to work"

I worked at Elle Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They spend half the day with you in management training which teaches you a lot.

Cons

They have a 3 interview process during my second interview I asked them if this was door to door sales and they told me no. I was then hired and started the following week. When I got there they went over the main things I needed to know. After lunch though they had us change into shorts and polos. We were then taken to a neighborhood and began our field training. They lied to me during the interview because what I was doing during training was door to door sales. I was told I would be making 300-500$ a week when I got my first check it was only 70$ for the week. The company had taken most of my check.

Advice to Management

Stop lying during your interviews. Quit trying to "sell" people a job.

"Black and White"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Elle Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cares. Go out of his way for new trainees and good at delegating. 100% availability. Black and white for everyone. No sugar coating.

Cons

Longer one on one meetings. Motivates everyone the same way at first, and then focuses on personalizing it. Let people know what they can be improving on sooner.

Advice to Management

Explain everything. Be laid back in and out of the workplace. Keep the meetings and travel the same! Love going to different markets and meeting and networking with other people. Only other thing would be to have a comment box for everyone to put opinions.

"Terrible place--basically door to door sales. Little to no training. I high pressure of memorizing scripts."

I worked at Elle Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Business trips, youthful environment. Culture seems cool, once you get trained, even though really don't get trained ...

Cons

-commission-based
    -poor training
    -not up front in hiring process

Advice to Management

Spend more time training employees, instead of just throwing them into the field. Canned speeches are not very inspiring or conducive to good work.

May 22, 2015 – Owner

Thank you for the comment. Of course we would love to have had your feedback in person, but regardless we still appreciate it - and definitely will be working on your suggestions. Thanks!

"too much to say in one sentence"

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Elle Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

learn something new every single day
    hang out with motivated people, rather than people at my last job that seemed to hate everything
    got to go on a couple of business trips that were paid for out of okc
    excited to go work
    get to actually coach people that want to get better
    able to voice my opinions
    getting a little better at talking in front of a large group

Cons

can't work from home
    cafe in the office building is being remodeled, so has been closed for over a month

Advice to Management

be more vocal about the upcoming promotions, try and do more trips to other markets more often

"door to door sales"

I worked at Elle Communications full-time

Pros

fun environment, great sales training.

Cons

long hours, 100% commission, no time off.

"Worst place to work I've ever had"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Elle Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great cardio, better job for people who are high energy, great job for people who never want to sleep or have lives outside of work. The people are okay even though they've been indoctrinated into thinking this job was good

Cons

you end up working from 9 am to 9 pm every day, for this you have a "chance" to earn 700 dollars a week. on the other hand you'll never make that because that's more sales than you'll ever make. the job makes you walk 8 hours in the hot sun every day, you should have a fuel efficient car since you have to use your own and no, they don't reimburse you for gas like they say they do, you have to put it in your taxes and in case you itemize (you have to own your property) you can't redeem it so that 40 minute drive to anywhere in Oklahoma can be a killer. you also need to ask every person you talk to for water because there is no carrying a water bottle. the best part? from 9 am to 1 pm you have to undergo their stupid spirit meeting where you yell, congratulate the people who were actually able to make sales, and generally act like an idiot. you also have to go to mandatory work parties that are horrible to endure. oh yeah! and every morning you have to show up in a clean pressed suit that is at least somewhat stylish and change into shorts and a polo, yay laundry! they prey on people newly out of high school or 20-30 year olds sick of working food service but don't have any schooling. any job where they don't actually tell you what you'll be doing or the time and effort you'll have to put towards the job until after the interview shouldn't be trusted.

Advice to Management

quit the stupid spirit meetings and act like an actual company

Feb 16, 2015 – Owner

Thanks for the comment. Hope you are doing something great these days!

I apologize that you were not a fan of our "stupid spirit meetings." Again, Thank you for taking the time to write a review.... More

"Dishonesty and Very Poor Pay"

I have been working at Elle Communications full-time

Pros

They hire just about everyone. That is probably the only positive aspect of the company.

Cons

What makes Elle Communications Inc. such a bad company to work for is the outright dishonesty you encounter in the hiring process. I received a phone call from them saying they had seen my information on LinkedIn and I thought that was a bit odd but they were really nice. The language they use makes them sound like a marketing analysis and consulting firm, but in reality they're just hired door-to-door salesmen. They did not say they were door-to-door until I confronted them after hearing something from a friend.

Second, the pay is terrible. You could make just as much money working as a manager for a fast food restaurant. I was shocked that they would even consider asking individuals with their B.A. degrees to work for them when the average pay is $20k per year.

Overall, do not waste your time with this company.

Advice to Management

Be honest upfront and pay your employees more. If you are not a marketing consulting firm, then do not advertise as such.

Feb 16, 2015 – Owner

Thanks for the review. Sorry that you were not pleased with the position we were looking to fill for Entry Level. To be crystal clear, we work with leads and state multiple times throughout our... More