Ellie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 17, 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.4

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work life balance is amazing" (in 24 reviews)

• "Leader in the industry, great people, execs that live the values they espouse, free ice-cream, fun & supportive work environment" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is a challenge but it is achievable if you learn to manage your time in an effective way" (in 13 reviews)

• "Though we are growing rapidly there are still a few growing pains we're working through" (in 24 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company with a Big Heart"

Current Employee - Applications Trainer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Trainer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There a strong sense of community in this company. The senior management makes a point of being engaged with all employees; Ellie Mae makes giving back to the community part of being an employee; everyone is helpful to new comers.
    My direct management has been very supportive of my ramping up work and with training to become knowledgeable in the industry and become a better trainer.
    Ellie Mae is, by far, the most diverse technology company that I have worked with (and I've worked with a few). And diverse at all levels.
    Ellie Mae is the market leader and has devised a "shared success" strategy for its customers. When Ellie Mae customers make more money, Ellie Mae makes more money. So customers are very satisfied with Ellie Mae.

Cons

Ellie Mae is growing fast (which is good). But with that growth in size, old processes that worked with a company of 500 are being strained with a company of 1500.

Advice to Management

We are growing fast. Make sure we've got the internal processes and infrastructure to handle all our new employees smoothly.

Jun 13, 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

Thanks for calling out our diversity, this really confirms we consider all viewpoints and have a culture of belonging. Appreciate the feedback!

2. "2 years here, still engaged as ever!"

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

After two years here, I'm still engaged by the company. The work is challenging, which keeps my brain constantly thinking and finding new solutions. The high growth keeps employees on their toes and it's never boring. Plus, my teammates are collaborative, awesome, and they really embrace a "together we can get it done" attitude. I've never seen so much support for each other among team members as I do here. The work-life balance ebbs and flows. It's always very busy, but there are certain times during the year where it gets really crazy and other times where it's better.

Cons

The high growth is a good thing, but growing so quickly also causes strain for certain old processes that used to work for a much smaller company. Many of these processes are starting to become automated, which helps. It can be difficult to keep up with the growth at times.

Advice to Management

Keep recognizing and rewarding your employees for the great work they do. A little appreciation goes a LONG way. Keep investing in their development too - there is always room to grow!

"Wrong decision in QA Org with non technical people getting manager role"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get to work with great people that I enjoy being around
    Free ice cream
    Massage chair.
    Opportunities to volunteer & support the local community

Cons

Sometimes people can be too relaxed
    QA engineers who are not good in technical are chosen to become managers , very bad move by recent QA leader
    Lot of managers in QA without technical skills are asked to drive or lead the team
    Engineers who are technical don't get motivated to work under such bosses if he/she just asks whether a given task is completed or not

Advice to Management

Changes in QA Org is not very well thought - especially the manager promotions to unfit people
    But overall new QA Org has vision with new leader , but might fail in the execution because of poor decisions
    I don't find any medium to talk about it, i would recommend QA leaders should open up a channel to give feedback. Not all the decisions taken by leaders are always correct, since the ground reality would be different and they should listen to the engineers

4. "Content Processing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Content Processing Coordinator
    Current Employee - Content Processing Coordinator

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ellie Mae is a company that cares and treats their employees very well. We all work together as a team to reach our personal and company goals. They have strong core values, respect the people that work for them and they give back to our community.

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job! Thank you!

"Best company culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everybody is very approachable and solution oriented.

Cons

Suggestions may take Tim to get to the right people.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office culture and leadership team is top notch.

Cons

Can't think if one reason that would make me consider leaving the company.

7. "The Best Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work from home
    I make a great salary considering I am in North Carolina
    I have a calm, intelligent and caring manager
    I get to work with great people that I enjoy being around
    I am included in all their marketing materials and charitable campaigns even though I work from home

Cons

Frenetic pace, a few spastic leaders, frequent stops and starts, communication gaps between groups. I sometimes feel like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Advice to Management

Old processes are straining now that the company is >1500 people:
    Streamline JIRA usage so that all development groups can row together (including UX teams)

Oct 19, 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

I appreciate your feedback and agree that our processes need to evolve with our growth. I appreciate your suggestions and encourage you to share these with your leaders.

8. "Great company with some issues...."

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ellie Mae has excellent benefits, provides employees (at least me) with a decent level of autonomy and provides excellent support. It also has a great mission statement -- one that is meant to improve the experience of not just those selling mortgages, but those buying them as well. I think we have been a big influencer in the mortgage business, helping to push the paperless ideal and increase efficiencies.

Cons

The growth has been terribly rapid and some knowledge is getting lost with turnover. Also, the company has never been good about telling use who has left and who has replaced them and that can be both disconcerting and disruptive.

Advice to Management

Communicate about people leaving as much as you do about people coming on board. Learn more about the nuts and bolts of your departments. Temper your enthusiasm for new products with more Q&A and stop rushing things to market or over promising what can be delivered.

Oct 19, 2018 – EVP, Human Resources

You're right, there are growing pains here at Ellie Mae given our tremendous growth. We will continue to ensure our teammates have a great employee experience and receive the information they need... More

9. "Working at Ellie Mae for my entire career"

Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been lucky! Ellie Mae acquired Genesis 18 years ago and I landed at Ellie Mae through that acquisition. I have been so blessed for 18 years! EM really empowered me in my sales career with all kinds of tools and support over the years. Sig's vision and later Jonathan's vision has stayed focused on our success and I have been a believer of our flagship product and very proud of presenting this great solution. Thank you EM for letting me thrive in my career. This company has taken really good care of me and I am very grateful for that.

Cons

Staying in one company for 18 years is very rare and almost non-existent out there and some may think moving and working for other companies would have been better, I don't. I take pride in our solution suite and when you sell the best product for so many years you can't just go sell inferior products!!

Advice to Management

Management can see the market conditions more clearly and bring the headwinds into account at the start of the year when calculating quotas before it is too late.

10. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ellie Mae (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

salary not commensurate to other companies in similar vertical

Advice to Management

To stay competitive in attracting top talent, management should keep an eye on competitive salaries