Ellie Mae Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan H. Corr

Pros
  • We believe in team and understand the work/life balance that must exist for our combined success (in 8 reviews)

• The company is growing and revamping the technology (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Normal growing pains with a company going from medium to large (in 8 reviews)

• No home/work life balance as they suggest (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Possibly the best company in the SF Bay area"

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

work hard and play hard. It's a very cooperative and friendly work environment.
    The technology is evolving, so offers a lot of opportunity to contribute immediately while also being able to learn new skills.
    The leadership is extremely capable and approachable, which I think is quite rare in the valley.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Jun 29, 2016 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

I agree. :) Culture is always top of mind and glad you've had a good experience here.

2. "Mature company with lots of growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Market leader in its space
    - Great work/life balance
    - Fast moving teams with agile development
    - Lots of exciting next-gen technologies
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Cultural and team events throughout the year
    - Solid financial benefits
    - Fun family company vibe
    - Abundant company cascades to keep employees up to date
    - Strong executive and senior management leadership
    - Mature business with modern product vision

Cons

- Average maternity & paternity benefits
    - Review cycle needs tune up

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

Thanks for the feedback as we are reviewing our benefits and our practices at Ellie Mae. If you have specifics, please feel free to drop me an email.

3. "Engagement manager"

Current Employee - Director of Professional Services in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Director of Professional Services in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ellie Mae is a fabulous ethical company that puts their employees first. N

Cons

I do not have any

Advice to Management

Continue investing in our company and personnel

5. "My 1 year journey"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Tech Renovation
    The company is undergoing some major (needed) tech renovation, the result of which has lead to lots of stable growth and opportunities. The beauty of where EllieMae is headed is that there are many opportunities for people to contribute, grow and try something new without having mortgage industry experience. I came from a primarily eCommerce background and in little over a year have significantly impacted our current gen product, helped to enable self sufficient development teams of our next gen product, participated in POC's for future products and achieved personal growth myself.

* Community Involvement
    Outside of the work I've been able to give back to our community doing many things through our EllieCares program. To date, I've volunteered at the elementary school Special Olympics Soccer program, participated in our internal fundraisers (boccie tournament, poker tournament, auction where I donated items as well as conducted bids) and helped during our first ever partnership with WebTour.com to for the EllieMae Classic.

* Culture
    EllieMae has a great culture that tends toward bonding as well as personal career growth. I've had the chance to play in our annual Golf tournament, join the EllieMae bowling league, expand my mind in our weekly Lunch and Learns, innovate outside the box in our semi-annually hack-a-thon and attend industry led conferences like Velocity, AWS re:invent, etc... On breaks, we socialize in the break rooms with pool, ping-pong, PS4, XBOX One, free ice cream, monthly birthday cake, monthly breakfast, monthly TGI(Thursday) events, etc... Some teams will also gather on Friday evenings to enjoy conversation over drinks.

* Work/Life Balance
    A note on work/life balance... Throughout my career I've been at companies that claim to have a good work/life balance and in all companies I've seen people that disagree with this statement. Honestly, in my experience a good work/life balance has generally been in the hands of the employee. There is the occasion where a management commitments, bad estimations or a "bad" manager can cause a negative experience, but in general I've always been able to ensure a good work/life balance by being vocal and communicative with my managers. At EllieMae this is no different, I am able to coach both my kids in soccer, assist in Softball, attend school functions, drop off/pickup at school as necessary and can work from home if a kid is sick. I usually work ~50 hours a week and generally only M-F, there is the occasional release or production issue on a weekend.

* Benefits
    Competitve salary, bonus program, RSU's, ESPP plan, 401k match program, Health, etc... Honestly the Health Care is more costly compared to other places I've been if you don't choose an HMO, but it's not that much more and health care costs in general have risen in the last few years.

The vacation/sick time program is a PTO plan, some folks like it and some hate it. From a personal perspective I've been on PTO plans for the last 4 years while my wife has been on them her entire career. I find that I like it, but it may take some getting used to. If you're curious do a search and you'll find sites that talk about the good/bad of each.

The holiday schedule feels a little on the short side as it's only 9 + a floating. Most places I've been generally have another day or 2 in there. Also, we don't shutdown for the winter/new year's break, but usually have 2-3 days off depending on where in the week the holiday falls. Lastly, like many company's management is pretty respectful of folks leaving early the day before a holiday so that you can get a head start on it.

Cons

* Company Growth
    There are some downsides to the rapid growth we've been experiencing, but nothing you wouldn't expect when a company goes from ~200 to > 1000 employees in ~2.5 years. Mostly I've experienced it in the evolving org changes; all of which are to better align the organization toward future success, but can be very interuptive - especially if you've been affected with a direct manager change. I've been lucky to have only 2 managers and both very good, understanding and able to maintain (transition) my career growth needs smoothly. In the end (to me at least) there are only 3 things that matter during a re-org: 1) If I had a manager change, will the understand my current career growth progress such that it's not impeeded and are they a good manager; 2) If I moved to a new team, will I be happy with the new work; 3) Were any of my friends affected. I've found that EllieMae has managed these transitions well and to-date I've found it enjoyable, I even got to take on a new role that I've really grown into.

* Off-hours Releases
    We work in an industry that still has an old-school view upon technology (similar to the Financial/banking world); in that they do not entirely embrace change. As a result, most releases are constrained to late night off-hours (including weekends).

* Holiday Schedule
    Consider adding 2 more days to have a friendly "shutdown" during the winter holiday season.

Advice to Management

* Continue to ease us through the growth period with consideration towards the re-orgs and it's affects on peoples career aspirations.
    * Consider adding holidays to have an "effective shutdown" during the winter holiday season.
    * Continue advocating for the zero-downtime intra-day releases to avoid potential interruptions of peoples off-hours life.

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

thanks for taking the time to write this. In HR we are looking at our approach to time off and will take your feedback into consideration. In addition, I know the Technology leaders are also looking ... More

6. "So far so good"

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

It is not bad. It should be above average

Cons

The fast growth could cause some problems.

7. "Amazing Company with Fantastic Leadership team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Ellie Mae is a fantastic company, leadership continues to impress with their innovative thinking and the transition to a platform company. I was leery of working for a large company after previous experiences, but I was impressed by the transparency in the interview process, commitment by leadership to make changes and overall strategy fo the company.
    - Joining Ellie Mae was one of the best decisions I have made in my career. Technology leadership is fantastic with an aggressive transition to Amazon Web Services, Microservices and web applications.
    - My onboarding experience at Ellie Mae was one of the best in my entire career, with a dedicated 3 day culture and company onboarding program that really set the tone for what to expect at Ellie Mae.
    - Opportunities to learn new technologies are everywhere and you can make a huge impact very quickly and be rewarded for that impact directly.

Cons

- You won't find a lot of Startup perks at Ellie Mae, minimum free snacks and anything but coffee is only subsidized.
    - Medical is good, but the dental plan is awful, with a very low annual cap. A single root canal and crown will use most of your plan limit for the year while you pay a large amount out of pocket.
    - The company is not as Agile as it would like to be in the development practices, with some legacy bureaucracy that screams waterfall. This is getting better but there is still work to be done.

Advice to Management

- We need to celebrate our wins more be it from the sales perspective, delivering a new project or getting a 100% satisfaction score from a client.
    - Increase benefits like the long awaited maternity/paternity benefit, Dental plan and the promised increases in health and wellness offerings.

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

We're excited to keep working through our benefits to evolve them across many elements of health and wellness! thanks for your thoughts.

8. "Software Developer"

Pros

It's a fast growing tech company moving from SaaS to PaaS. I enjoy working on new technology stack.
    Strong leadership helping employees .

Cons

As it is a fast growing company it has some growing pains. This will eventually get stabilized as it has good leadership.

9. "Senior Document Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Doc Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Doc Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ellie Mae (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have free ice cream

Cons

Company likes to ask employees to share ideas or how can they help assist staff better but then the written down suggestions sit on the notepad in a stack on their desks going no further

Advice to Management

Advice to management is there are too many managers who have no idea what any of the other managers really do because there is no communication between them. Managers at Ellie Mae would rather just secure their positions with an absurd amount of wasted time and money either discussing or trying to figure out exactly what all their staff does.

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

Thanks for your comments. Please do feel free to contact me directly about your comments. We are also investing heavily in manager development.

10. "Growing Pains"

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

Great benefits, on par with any large corporation. Friendly people, supportive senior managment, and growing very quickly...new faces everyday.

Cons

Not all new faces are staying due to lack of organized training and introduction of products at the team level.

11. "Terrific"

Pros

The company treats employees well

Cons

Can not think of any cons