Ellie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan H. Corr

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere; lots of perks like free ice cream and popcon, pinball and pool table (in 12 reviews)

• Great Work Culture, Great Work-Life Balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge although it seems like it might be getting better as things stabilize a little bit (in 6 reviews)

• Normal growing pains with a company going from medium to large (in 10 reviews)

1. "Checks all the boxes"

Current Employee - Curriculum Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Curriculum Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ellie Mae checks all the boxes for me. Salary, Bonuses, Stock Options, Benefits, etc. And, it doesn't end there. It's the best place I've ever worked and cannot think of any other career that would make me happier.

Cons

At this time, I am drawing a blank on CONS!

2. "Amazing executive team on down. I love this company very much - very grateful!"

Current Employee - Account Management in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Account Management in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Executives are true leaders with incredibly strong values; amazing vision.
    People genuinely care for one another; always putting others first.
    Everyone is highly driven and highly motivated; lots of career opportunities.
    Salary, benefits, quality of life ... excellent!! :-)

Cons

Honestly ... none!

Advice to Management

Advice to Management ... we are all very grateful and blessed! Thank you!

"Love a good challenge? This is the place to be..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast paced development environment with never a dull moment.
    - Great place for technology enthusiasts. Get to work with cutting edge technologies.
    - Weekly lunch and learn sessions helps people share knowledge across the development organization.
    - Great place for women in tech. Many women in strong leadership roles who are always willing to take time out to talk about their experiences and provide guidance.
    - Lots of great work to do building services on the public cloud. Management is very supportive of new software or technology stack you wish to use as long as it passes all security standards and is the right fit for the project.
    - Teams are very collaborative and everybody's input is valued. 'You build it, you own it' philosophy ensures that every team feels a strong sense of ownership towards everything they build.
    - Strong culture with lots of people passionate about what they do.
    - Annual 2-day tech summit emphasizes management's investment in technology.
    - Overall, I love going in to work with an amazing team and constantly working on new technologies and solving new problems.

Cons

These are a few things that teams should get better at working on and will get better as teams mature:
    - Things can get stressful at times with aggressive deadlines and unclear requirements. This can be avoided by the team pushing back early on if the deadlines seem unrealistic.
    - Rapid development and teams operating in silos often result in some last minute integration issues.
    - Work life balance is a challenge although it seems like it might be getting better as things stabilize a little bit.

Advice to Management

- Keep up the great work hiring good people and empowering long time employees to transition to new technologies.
    - Better planning and inter team communication would be a great step towards reducing last minute surprises. Managers/program managers should ensure that someone is coordinating between teams and communicating often to the team.
    - Please avoid changing managers so frequently. I understand these are growing pains and am hopeful that this will not be a continuing trend.

Jun 9, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your thoughts. We are looking to support all employees with their work life blend and I ask that you talk with your manager or HR. These are very situational to the individual and we ... More

4. "Brave New World, Product & Technology Summit 2017"

Current Employee - Director Level in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Director Level in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am coming out of this amazing two days event. What a show it was. Awesome tracks, great speakers and above all got to know the leadership vision/commitment towards our journey.

Sessions on Design Thinking, Cloud Infrastructure, Product Vision, Machine Learning, Microservices, Data Lakes, User Experience, Innovative thinking and much more. I felt so filling with the sessions offerings. Everyone I spoke at the summit was extremely positive and pumped about this very well organized event. Kudos to the organizers.

I worked in the hi tech industry for 15+ years that includes some big names. But I have to say EllieMae is special, it gives me the sense of ownership that empowers me to make my decision at work. Love it.

Cons

I felt two days were a little short for this summit with the rich offerings.

Advice to Management

I suggest to add a day to the summit next year.

Jun 9, 2017 – EVP HR

The summit was fabulous! The tech leadership team are looking at the feedback for this event and are committed to making it even better next year. Thanks for the shout out!

5. "Best company I've ever worked for!!!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management values their employees, they empower personal, relational and career growth in every way imaginable. Core values are truly the heart of our company, and when I say Ellie Mae is Customer-Centric, I mean we are trained from the very top to respect, value, listen, and move mountains to keep every customer happy. Wait it doesn't stop there; these values are also expected when interacting with one another internally. I haven't met one person who hasn't gone above and beyond to assist me when I ask for help. Bottom line is Ellie Mae is my dream job and I plan to retire from here when the time comes. YES!!! It's that good.....

Cons

Seriously, there aren't any. I know it seems crazy, but they treat their employees better than most parents treat there children. I feel spoiled...

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving me work life balance and a work family!!! Keep up the great work!!

6. "Amazing Benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Software in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable workplace. Offices are really nice. Maybe the nicest place to work in the East Bay for sure. Sig the founder truly has a good heart. I only wish I had been at the company at the beginning when Sig was at the helm.

Cons

Lots of change as the company grows. Some days it feels like an absolute zoo.

Jun 9, 2017 – EVP HR

Jonathan, Sig and the leadership team are committed to the enduring values that were fostered from the first day. Ellie Mae continues to grow fast as a market leader and with that comes change and ... More

"Great place to work, learn and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been at Ellie Mae for over a year now and have to say it’s been an exciting journey.
    Ellie Mae is redefining the mortgage lending business with its new web/mobile apps and its new application platform while already being a leading provider of an all in one mortgage lending solution - Encompass.
    The excitement comes from being able to work on cutting edge tech like a start-up while having the security of working for a market leader.
    The ingrained knowledge of the fintech industry itself is a great thing to be learning and adds to learning how to leverage the best in tech to serve the American dream of home ownership for everyone.
    Ellie Mae is growing and being part of this growth entails a certain degree of pressure and commitment that is amply rewarded by benefits and growth opportunities for the deserving.
    I have seen the company grow in the past year and start to define and entrench itself as a market leader in emerging technologies competing with the best in technical leadership, user experience and customer satisfaction.
    At the end of the day it is also how any company treats its most valuable assets - its employees and its customers that defines how far it will grow. The culture at Ellie Mae is nurturing and growth oriented. One that sees VP's and directors coding solutions and decoding problems along with developers in the best traditions of the IT industry. As an engineer there is nothing more rewarding and fulfilling than using technology to solve real world problems.
    A company that prides itself on customer satisfaction and employee well-being.
    It means being part of a company that has hackathons and Cloud Game days to technology and diversity conferences that lead to a team that works with each other, goes out of the way to ideate and solutionize, to welcome new people to the family and to encourage growth and dissent too.
    People are approachable and eager to help and both technical excellence and team play are crucially valued.
    One of the key things that has really earned my loyalty is the fact that they also believe deeply in giving back to the community through initiatives like the springboard initiative for empowering talented youth and other outreach activities. You can always tell when some companies use these measures for mere lip service and PR versus at Eliie Mae where it really resonates as something that is ingrained in the heart and soul of the organization.
    The culture, the team, the technology, the vision and the learning and growth opportunities are what have defined my year at Ellie Mae. And it’s been a fun ride.

Cons

No one is perfect and Eliie Mae is going through immense growth and not everyone is comfortable with the expectations and rigor demanded by a growing company. The good thing is that the leadership is aware of the great effort that the teams make and they always acknowledge and reward the extra effort that goes in from individuals and team.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees engaged and continue to have a forward thinking outlook. Set clear expectations, provide growth opportunities and promote from within. Continue to share the benefits with the people at the front line and work hard to keep the open and sharing company culture as it is your biggest asset.

Apr 11, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your thoughts and keep letting us know how your experiences are going.

"Too much politics"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free ice cream, free coffee and free water 😔😔
    You can succeed very quickly if you know how to manage politics 🤞🤞

Cons

Too much politics !!
    Too many reorgs recently !!
    Management does not care about employees !!
    Only focused on product delivery at fast pace, which encourages low quality products !!

"Sales ops"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products and services

Cons

Restructured our department and not given any formal training for position and then let go due to no training

"Mature company with lots of growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Market leader in its space
    - Great work/life balance
    - Fast moving teams with agile development
    - Lots of exciting next-gen technologies
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Cultural and team events throughout the year
    - Solid financial benefits
    - Fun family company vibe
    - Abundant company cascades to keep employees up to date
    - Strong executive and senior management leadership
    - Mature business with modern product vision

Cons

- Average maternity & paternity benefits
    - Review cycle needs tune up

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

Thanks for the feedback as we are reviewing our benefits and our practices at Ellie Mae. If you have specifics, please feel free to drop me an email.