Ellie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 9, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan H. Corr

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere; lots of perks like free ice cream and popcon, pinball and pool table (in 12 reviews)

• Great Work Culture, Great Work-Life Balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Normal growing pains with a company going from medium to large (in 8 reviews)

• No home/work life balance as they suggest (in 4 reviews)

"Too much politics"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free ice cream, free coffee and free water 😔😔
    You can succeed very quickly if you know how to manage politics 🤞🤞

Cons

Too much politics !!
    Too many reorgs recently !!
    Management does not care about employees !!
    Only focused on product delivery at fast pace, which encourages low quality products !!

2. "Sales ops"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products and services

Cons

Restructured our department and not given any formal training for position and then let go due to no training

"Bad Management in Doc Ops"

Current Employee - Senior Docs Specialist in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Docs Specialist in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

I love the majority of my co-workers!

Cons

-Management should actually learn what we do before they penalize the employees
    -Too many managers who have no idea what their staff's job really consist of
    -Office Politics and favortism
    -Unmanageable work loads
    -No home/work life balance as they suggest
    -Knowledge hoarders in fear of job security

Advice to Management

I have only been working at Ellie Mae for a year or less and already experiencing the heavy workload placed upon us. Management is a joke and it appears as if my manager is clueless on what it is we really do for our jobs. I suggest they hire more people for their so-called excellent Nordstrom like customer service. Walmart gives better customer service than Nordstrom does anyways!

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

Please reach out to me directly to share your feedback so that we can continue to enhance our manager capability.

"Full politics and no work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

No encouragement or appreciation from the Manager
    Expecting to do everything simultaneously

Cons

Soft spoke person like me can't work in this organization

Be cox

Advice to Management

Pls do remove the managers and increase the people to work

Not sure whom to reach to escalate if a manager harss the employees

Nov 3, 2016 – EVP HR

Please contact HR directly if you have any concerns about you're treated. we take this very seriously at Ellie Mae. please reach out to your HRBP directly, or any member of the HR team.

"Very bad management"

Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer

Pros

No pros I can report.

Cons

No appreciation and no chance to grow regardless of your talent, hard work, and skills. You MAY only have a chance to be ok working there by playing politics and having connections with upper management.
    You would not be happy to work there if you are an educated, experienced, and talented person who is passionate about your job and would like to grow in your career.

Nov 3, 2016 – EVP HR

HR and the leaders are focused and prioritizing our Ellie Mae culture and career opportunities. Thank you for the feedback as we do this work.

"Mean what you say!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice and dedicated people to work with. The culture here is nice, but that's about it. Though there are some stuck up people, you can't expect everyone to be happy go lucky! So there are some perks and good benefits but not as great as what other tech companies offer. Holiday parties are nice and the building too.

Cons

Good luck in getting assistance from IT, Facilities and Helpdesk. They are slow and no one notifies the eta of when something will be done. I find it ironic how long ago this company was founded and in comparison to other tech companies in the area of how very little reviews there are for Ellie Mae. It's almost sad when the recruiters sell a candidate a job position and the company, but then you get here. There's a lot of great companies out there, alot, this company is "Eh, ok." But hey, everyone is nice though!

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees a lot better, listen to them, fix the issues and compliants, stop hiring family and actually hire top notch employees than mediocre. Also, fix the depts. that are slow and bring it up to upper management. Maybe lesson on the everyday catering and put money towards better employees! If HR and upper management would stop asking employees to get on here to rate the company, it wouldn't make the company look so desperate!!

Feb 1, 2016 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

Thanks for your feedback, I see we have more room for improvement.

"Can't Wait To Leave"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae (More than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't really many upsides to this company. Occasional free food...and the "Look, we have ping pong and ice cream!" wanna-be-startup junk.

Cons

HR is on top of these Glassdoor postings, and basically asks employees for positive reviews. Even then they can't get a decent score.

I'd like to see where this "transformation period" is. The same managers who can't manage. The same back-stabbing environment. The same low hiring standards (can we please stop hiring no-nothings from local companies like Safeway? We're supposed to be a tech company).

Advice to Management

Where's our mobile app? Where's our v2 platform (you know...the one that's ACTUALLY SaaS)? Google has already started sniffing around with their mortgage comparison tool. How long do you think it'll be until an ACTUAL software development company comes in and destroys us?

Dec 3, 2015 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Based on your comments, it looks like we have an opportunity to do a better job communicating where we are with our transformation initiatives ... More

"Painfully inept managers"

Former Employee - Lead QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Lead QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home on Friday is pretty common. Not too many people bug you (other than the useless risk/compliance team).

Cons

Managers are so inept that they're incapable of execution. Weeks of meetings and project plans because they're risk averse and don't understand the technology. I've spent hours explaining how a particular technology works to an Ops manager. I've spent hours explaining why a vulnerability doesn't matter to a compliance director. It feels like a large East coast company instead of a nimble Silicon Valley company. Avoid at all costs!

Advice to Management

Do a better job at hiring. Hire more people from Palo Alto and Mountain View. Stop hiring managers from big, slow moving companies!

Oct 6, 2015 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I’m sorry that your experience at Ellie Mae has not been positive. We’re in the midst of a transformation stage, not just of our platform but ... More

"Bad managers, Bad culture, Bad company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

No pros unless you like to feel like you're trapped in the movie Office Space. Sodas are subsidized free ice cream (what are we, kids?).

Cons

There are only a handful of people there who have any idea what they're doing at all. Pleasanton isn't known for their pool of top talent, and it is abundantly clear at Ellie Mae. Most people who know what they're doing leave within a year. This means you have a culture of people who feel threatened whenever smart people come on board. Long term employees end up playing politics to keep their jobs, and sadly it works.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the executive staff any anybody who's been there longer than 10 years. Improve your hiring standards and work to retain the people who DO know what they're doing.

Oct 6, 2015 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry that your experience at Ellie Mae was negative. We’re in the midst of a transformation stage, not just of our platform but of our people, process and technology ... More

"Horrible Management"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The workload is pretty small. It almost feels like a manufacturing company, where people clock out at 5 and that's it.

Cons

So many clueless managers who have been with the company since the beginning and have no significant work experience anywhere else.

The culture is very much an "old boys club". Everything from golf matches to a stupid company fight song. If you're in the club you're ok. If you're not, then you're a target.

An employee base full of incompetence.

A compliance team that sucks huge amounts of time from every group, over inflating their importance by making every tiny issue a giant one. Literally hours upon hours wasted in meetings about nothing.

A culture so bad that brand new employees are quitting.

Advice to Management

You need to clean house in a serious way. Make the decision to be a company that is serious about the product and stop with the politics.

Oct 6, 2015 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

I’m sorry that your experience so far at Ellie Mae hasn’t been more positive. We are taking your feedback along with perspectives from across the company to address areas of concern. We are in a ... More