Ellie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 12, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan H. Corr

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere; lots of perks like free ice cream and popcon, pinball and pool table (in 12 reviews)

• Great Work Culture, Great Work-Life Balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is a challenge but it is achievable if you learn to manage your time in an effective way (in 6 reviews)

• Normal growing pains with a company going from medium to large (in 9 reviews)

1. "Amazing Benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Software in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable workplace. Offices are really nice. Maybe the nicest place to work in the East Bay for sure. Sig the founder truly has a good heart. I only wish I had been at the company at the beginning when Sig was at the helm.

Cons

Lots of change as the company grows. Some days it feels like an absolute zoo.

"Senior Document Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Doc Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Implementation Doc Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ellie Mae (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have free ice cream

Cons

Company likes to ask employees to share ideas or how can they help assist staff better but then the written down suggestions sit on the notepad in a stack on their desks going no further

Advice to Management

Advice to management is there are too many managers who have no idea what any of the other managers really do because there is no communication between them. Managers at Ellie Mae would rather just secure their positions with an absurd amount of wasted time and money either discussing or trying to figure out exactly what all their staff does.

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

Thanks for your comments. Please do feel free to contact me directly about your comments. We are also investing heavily in manager development.

"Comapny and Experience in few years"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

Good Working Environment. Good people around.

Cons

Work Life balance. Work Life balance.

Advice to Management

Work Life balance Work Life balance.

5. "Excellent Benefits / Overall Great Company"

Current Employee - Product Trainer in Hensley, AR
    Current Employee - Product Trainer in Hensley, AR

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful Teammates. Super Benefits. No micromanagement. Do your job, meet your goals and get rewarded. Employees are treated as owners. Company is very much involved in charities. Very family oriented.

Cons

Not many Cons. Nothing significant to complain about. Some department policy and procedures are lacking, but are being prepared and implemented.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Continue to treat employees as Owners and family.

"Fast paced growing Company."

Current Employee - Sr Systems Engineer - DevOps in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sr Systems Engineer - DevOps in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

EllieMae has a dynamic environment that offers engineering and design opportunities, the rate of growth is phenomenal and the DevOps work being done is top notch.

Ellie Mae has a familial culture, the founder regularly intermingles with his employees and has a very kind and mentor like approach to individuals, it is a very close knit company.

There are a host of opportunities for personal growth and career growth for the right minded individual, the compensation plan is also very competitive.

The Engineering Management is made up of people with great acumen and a robust long term vision for scaling the product.

It has been a fun 6 months working at EllieMae and I would whole heartedly recommend it to other engineers.

Cons

Health Care is a bit expensive compared to other places I have worked at.
    There is a lack of commute options though there is some thought being given to it.

There are some individuals in EllieMae that tend to hinder engineering work and have a mentality that is constantly afraid of losing their jobs, because of this fear they tend to sacrifice engineering over career longevity. Instead of focusing on improving EllieMae the entire focus is on self importance, ego and self preservation...

The management is working to weed out such individuals but atm this is what holds back the juggernaut that EllieMae engineering can be.

Advice to Management

Please get rid of the egotistical self important troglodytes and there will be no roadblocks to the future.

Feb 1, 2016 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

I'm glad you have had a great 6 months here, and thank you for sharing your thoughts on the other topics.

"Great place to learn, have fun and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Pleasanton, CA

Pros

Fun and collaborative team and a manager who is proactive. the teams are growing and a lot of the new folks coming in are energetic and technically knowledgeable people who are committed to the work and that leads to a productive environment.

Cons

More in house training opportunities are needed, UX and architecture teams need to be more in sync with the development teams. Not too may women in the top tiers.

Advice to Management

Keep getting people who are good technically and provide technical training and hackathons to keep them up to par

Feb 1, 2016 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

Glad you are enjoying your experience here. I like your idea of hackathons, we've talked about doing something similar to this.

"On its way from "Good" to "Great""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a strong impact by helping the organization with its next generation efforts.
    Great executive team and thought leadership.
    Strong product management and UX team.

Cons

Engineering leadership/managers who lack understanding of basic common sense software development methodologies
    Not enough senior, staff and principal engineers
    Too much focus on outsourcing

Advice to Management

Hire strong engineers, not managers if you hope to grow Ellie Mae as a technology company.

Feb 1, 2016 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

I'm excited that you can be part of our next generation efforts. :) We totally agree we need more experienced senior engineers. Know anyone?

9. "Overall Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ellie Mae (Less than a year)

Pros

Just like all companies, work experience depends on your positions, co-workers and managers. My experience has been a positive one.
    -Workload is very manageable
    -Friendly Staff
    -lots of fun events

Cons

-There are a lot of lengthy meetings.
    - There are definitely some people in the company that's more of C players that treat work as a job rather than a career.

Advice to Management

The company is expanding, management should focus on personal improvement (education) for employees and selection process to avoid inadequate employees..

Oct 6, 2015 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

Thank you for the feedback and review. I’m glad to hear that you are enjoying your time here at Ellie Mae. From the top down, the key to a successful Ellie Mae is our unwavering commitment, not only ... More

10. "Fun, Caring, Hardworking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Awesome Culture
    Dedicated Leaders
    Competitive salary
    Fun

Cons

Under staffed departments. Everyone works hard, but sometimes you are doing more than one job.

Advice to Management

Focus on staffing where it's really needed and stop bringing in so many higher level positions, that aren't bringing what we need to the table

Oct 6, 2015 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

Thank you for your review and feedback. I’m glad to hear that you are having a positive experience here. We’re in the midst of a transformation stage, not just of our platform but of our people ... More

11. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Development in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

Relaxed culture and environment. Great, friendly people. Management is motivated to push technology forward, and new/innovative products forward. Hours are pretty flexible as long as you get your work done. Management is willing to listen to suggestions and comments. The company gives back to the community with several different charitable events during the year.

Cons

Some "cost cutting" techniques may hurt productivity in some situations if management isn't careful and I'm seeing some evidence of that. Chasing the bottom line too aggressively is not always the best approach in my opinion. Hiring the most qualified people is always the best practice regardless of the salary cost, and especially for important positions.