Ellie Mae Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 12, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonathan H. Corr

Pros
  • Fun atmosphere; lots of perks like free ice cream and popcon, pinball and pool table (in 12 reviews)

• Great Work Culture, Great Work-Life Balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Normal growing pains with a company going from medium to large (in 8 reviews)

• No home/work life balance as they suggest (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Possibly the best company in the SF Bay area"

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time

Pros

work hard and play hard. It's a very cooperative and friendly work environment.
    The technology is evolving, so offers a lot of opportunity to contribute immediately while also being able to learn new skills.
    The leadership is extremely capable and approachable, which I think is quite rare in the valley.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Jun 29, 2016 – SVP, Human Resources and Operations

I agree. :) Culture is always top of mind and glad you've had a good experience here.

2. "Best company I've ever worked for!!!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management values their employees, they empower personal, relational and career growth in every way imaginable. Core values are truly the heart of our company, and when I say Ellie Mae is Customer-Centric, I mean we are trained from the very top to respect, value, listen, and move mountains to keep every customer happy. Wait it doesn't stop there; these values are also expected when interacting with one another internally. I haven't met one person who hasn't gone above and beyond to assist me when I ask for help. Bottom line is Ellie Mae is my dream job and I plan to retire from here when the time comes. YES!!! It's that good.....

Cons

Seriously, there aren't any. I know it seems crazy, but they treat their employees better than most parents treat there children. I feel spoiled...

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving me work life balance and a work family!!! Keep up the great work!!

3. "Great place to work, learn and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been at Ellie Mae for over a year now and have to say it’s been an exciting journey.
    Ellie Mae is redefining the mortgage lending business with its new web/mobile apps and its new application platform while already being a leading provider of an all in one mortgage lending solution - Encompass.
    The excitement comes from being able to work on cutting edge tech like a start-up while having the security of working for a market leader.
    The ingrained knowledge of the fintech industry itself is a great thing to be learning and adds to learning how to leverage the best in tech to serve the American dream of home ownership for everyone.
    Ellie Mae is growing and being part of this growth entails a certain degree of pressure and commitment that is amply rewarded by benefits and growth opportunities for the deserving.
    I have seen the company grow in the past year and start to define and entrench itself as a market leader in emerging technologies competing with the best in technical leadership, user experience and customer satisfaction.
    At the end of the day it is also how any company treats its most valuable assets - its employees and its customers that defines how far it will grow. The culture at Ellie Mae is nurturing and growth oriented. One that sees VP's and directors coding solutions and decoding problems along with developers in the best traditions of the IT industry. As an engineer there is nothing more rewarding and fulfilling than using technology to solve real world problems.
    A company that prides itself on customer satisfaction and employee well-being.
    It means being part of a company that has hackathons and Cloud Game days to technology and diversity conferences that lead to a team that works with each other, goes out of the way to ideate and solutionize, to welcome new people to the family and to encourage growth and dissent too.
    People are approachable and eager to help and both technical excellence and team play are crucially valued.
    One of the key things that has really earned my loyalty is the fact that they also believe deeply in giving back to the community through initiatives like the springboard initiative for empowering talented youth and other outreach activities. You can always tell when some companies use these measures for mere lip service and PR versus at Eliie Mae where it really resonates as something that is ingrained in the heart and soul of the organization.
    The culture, the team, the technology, the vision and the learning and growth opportunities are what have defined my year at Ellie Mae. And it’s been a fun ride.

Cons

No one is perfect and Eliie Mae is going through immense growth and not everyone is comfortable with the expectations and rigor demanded by a growing company. The good thing is that the leadership is aware of the great effort that the teams make and they always acknowledge and reward the extra effort that goes in from individuals and team.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep employees engaged and continue to have a forward thinking outlook. Set clear expectations, provide growth opportunities and promote from within. Continue to share the benefits with the people at the front line and work hard to keep the open and sharing company culture as it is your biggest asset.

Apr 11, 2017 – EVP HR

Thank you for your thoughts and keep letting us know how your experiences are going.

5. "Mature company with lots of growth!"

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Market leader in its space
    - Great work/life balance
    - Fast moving teams with agile development
    - Lots of exciting next-gen technologies
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Cultural and team events throughout the year
    - Solid financial benefits
    - Fun family company vibe
    - Abundant company cascades to keep employees up to date
    - Strong executive and senior management leadership
    - Mature business with modern product vision

Cons

- Average maternity & paternity benefits
    - Review cycle needs tune up

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

Thanks for the feedback as we are reviewing our benefits and our practices at Ellie Mae. If you have specifics, please feel free to drop me an email.

"Engagement manager"

Current Employee - Director of Professional Services in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Director of Professional Services in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ellie Mae is a fabulous ethical company that puts their employees first. N

Cons

I do not have any

Advice to Management

Continue investing in our company and personnel

"My 1 year journey"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Tech Renovation
    The company is undergoing some major (needed) tech renovation, the result of which has lead to lots of stable growth and opportunities. The beauty of where EllieMae is headed is that there are many opportunities for people to contribute, grow and try something new without having mortgage industry experience. I came from a primarily eCommerce background and in little over a year have significantly impacted our current gen product, helped to enable self sufficient development teams of our next gen product, participated in POC's for future products and achieved personal growth myself.

* Community Involvement
    Outside of the work I've been able to give back to our community doing many things through our EllieCares program. To date, I've volunteered at the elementary school Special Olympics Soccer program, participated in our internal fundraisers (boccie tournament, poker tournament, auction where I donated items as well as conducted bids) and helped during our first ever partnership with WebTour.com to for the EllieMae Classic.

* Culture
    EllieMae has a great culture that tends toward bonding as well as personal career growth. I've had the chance to play in our annual Golf tournament, join the EllieMae bowling league, expand my mind in our weekly Lunch and Learns, innovate outside the box in our semi-annually hack-a-thon and attend industry led conferences like Velocity, AWS re:invent, etc... On breaks, we socialize in the break rooms with pool, ping-pong, PS4, XBOX One, free ice cream, monthly birthday cake, monthly breakfast, monthly TGI(Thursday) events, etc... Some teams will also gather on Friday evenings to enjoy conversation over drinks.

* Work/Life Balance
    A note on work/life balance... Throughout my career I've been at companies that claim to have a good work/life balance and in all companies I've seen people that disagree with this statement. Honestly, in my experience a good work/life balance has generally been in the hands of the employee. There is the occasion where a management commitments, bad estimations or a "bad" manager can cause a negative experience, but in general I've always been able to ensure a good work/life balance by being vocal and communicative with my managers. At EllieMae this is no different, I am able to coach both my kids in soccer, assist in Softball, attend school functions, drop off/pickup at school as necessary and can work from home if a kid is sick. I usually work ~50 hours a week and generally only M-F, there is the occasional release or production issue on a weekend.

* Benefits
    Competitve salary, bonus program, RSU's, ESPP plan, 401k match program, Health, etc... Honestly the Health Care is more costly compared to other places I've been if you don't choose an HMO, but it's not that much more and health care costs in general have risen in the last few years.

The vacation/sick time program is a PTO plan, some folks like it and some hate it. From a personal perspective I've been on PTO plans for the last 4 years while my wife has been on them her entire career. I find that I like it, but it may take some getting used to. If you're curious do a search and you'll find sites that talk about the good/bad of each.

The holiday schedule feels a little on the short side as it's only 9 + a floating. Most places I've been generally have another day or 2 in there. Also, we don't shutdown for the winter/new year's break, but usually have 2-3 days off depending on where in the week the holiday falls. Lastly, like many company's management is pretty respectful of folks leaving early the day before a holiday so that you can get a head start on it.

Cons

* Company Growth
    There are some downsides to the rapid growth we've been experiencing, but nothing you wouldn't expect when a company goes from ~200 to > 1000 employees in ~2.5 years. Mostly I've experienced it in the evolving org changes; all of which are to better align the organization toward future success, but can be very interuptive - especially if you've been affected with a direct manager change. I've been lucky to have only 2 managers and both very good, understanding and able to maintain (transition) my career growth needs smoothly. In the end (to me at least) there are only 3 things that matter during a re-org: 1) If I had a manager change, will the understand my current career growth progress such that it's not impeeded and are they a good manager; 2) If I moved to a new team, will I be happy with the new work; 3) Were any of my friends affected. I've found that EllieMae has managed these transitions well and to-date I've found it enjoyable, I even got to take on a new role that I've really grown into.

* Off-hours Releases
    We work in an industry that still has an old-school view upon technology (similar to the Financial/banking world); in that they do not entirely embrace change. As a result, most releases are constrained to late night off-hours (including weekends).

* Holiday Schedule
    Consider adding 2 more days to have a friendly "shutdown" during the winter holiday season.

Advice to Management

* Continue to ease us through the growth period with consideration towards the re-orgs and it's affects on peoples career aspirations.
    * Consider adding holidays to have an "effective shutdown" during the winter holiday season.
    * Continue advocating for the zero-downtime intra-day releases to avoid potential interruptions of peoples off-hours life.

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

thanks for taking the time to write this. In HR we are looking at our approach to time off and will take your feedback into consideration. In addition, I know the Technology leaders are also looking ... More

8. "Amazing Company with Fantastic Leadership team"

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Ellie Mae is a fantastic company, leadership continues to impress with their innovative thinking and the transition to a platform company. I was leery of working for a large company after previous experiences, but I was impressed by the transparency in the interview process, commitment by leadership to make changes and overall strategy fo the company.
    - Joining Ellie Mae was one of the best decisions I have made in my career. Technology leadership is fantastic with an aggressive transition to Amazon Web Services, Microservices and web applications.
    - My onboarding experience at Ellie Mae was one of the best in my entire career, with a dedicated 3 day culture and company onboarding program that really set the tone for what to expect at Ellie Mae.
    - Opportunities to learn new technologies are everywhere and you can make a huge impact very quickly and be rewarded for that impact directly.

Cons

- You won't find a lot of Startup perks at Ellie Mae, minimum free snacks and anything but coffee is only subsidized.
    - Medical is good, but the dental plan is awful, with a very low annual cap. A single root canal and crown will use most of your plan limit for the year while you pay a large amount out of pocket.
    - The company is not as Agile as it would like to be in the development practices, with some legacy bureaucracy that screams waterfall. This is getting better but there is still work to be done.

Advice to Management

- We need to celebrate our wins more be it from the sales perspective, delivering a new project or getting a 100% satisfaction score from a client.
    - Increase benefits like the long awaited maternity/paternity benefit, Dental plan and the promised increases in health and wellness offerings.

Feb 6, 2017 – EVP HR

We're excited to keep working through our benefits to evolve them across many elements of health and wellness! thanks for your thoughts.

9. "Wonderful company to work for."

Former Employee - Product Support Analyst I in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Product Support Analyst I in Omaha, NE

I worked at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Annual bonus
    - Stock options vested over 4 years
    - Excellent health benefits
    - Great work / life balance
    - WFH opportunities
    - Fun work atmosphere (holiday parties each year)
    - Solid company goals, great CEO
    - Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Since the company is growing so fast there have been a some growing pains that employees have had to deal with. Nothing major, but things are always changing.

"We are rapidly growing and maturing"

Current Employee - Product Team in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Product Team in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Many opportunities for professional growth
    + New blood
    + Software Product Expertise in the Residential Mortgage Loan Processing space
    + One of the “Best Places to Work in the Bay Area” by the San Francisco Business Times and the San Jose/Silicon Valley Business Journal for the third time
    + Located In Pleasanton
    + Great leadership team - know what they stand for
    + Ellie Cares

Cons

- If you don't have the skills, or if you are looking for an easy 9-5 job, this may not be the best place for you.
    - Less comp-competitive
    - Culture will be a bit confusing to some. Although an Agile s/w dev company, management (and customers) have huge affinity for hard delivery commitments, creating too much delivery pressure. In the long run, this usually results in bastardizing release process, engineering "agility" or both.

Advice to Management

<take advice from the cons above>

11. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Ellie Mae full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is growing by leaps and bounds, which leaves open lots of possibilities to try new things professionally, and which gives a good sense of job security.
    They do have a solid sense of employee appreciation.

Cons

It can be a challenge with the rate of speed they are growing at, and implementing new processing fast enough so as not to release buggy products, for example