Ellucian Reviews | Glassdoor

Ellucian President and CEO Laura Ipsen
Laura Ipsen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • micro management and no work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Upper management makes poor decisions about riffs, etc (in 19 reviews)

1. "The future is bright!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Investing heavily in the future, and developing/hiring the best talent.

Cons

The pace can be a bit much at times.

2. "Associate Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to travel a lot, great training, great pay, nice new offices.

Cons

When trying to plan office events, it very difficult to get any funding.

Advice to Management

Please look at employees who are trying to improve office and company culture. Do no just sweep them under the rug. With out these select few, the Lake Mary office would never hold a single event.

3. "Former employee, now at client"

I worked at Ellucian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product was going in right direction until forced method of delivery was started. Ellucian was trying to bring the products sold into an arena where they would be competitive but lost their vision. The only pros company had was the line of products and the employees that delivered them.

Cons

Ineffective management. The dictatorial push to make people work longer hours isn't going to keep good, knowledgeable staff in place. FYI...your clients feel that.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your clients. They built you, they can just as easily go somewhere else. (Colleague asked me specifically what Ellucian was doing because the east coast schools were moving to other competitors. Couldn't answer well, because when she asked, I no longer worked for the company.)

4. "Pretty good"

Former Employee - Student Employee
    Former Employee - Student Employee

I worked at Ellucian part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about tech

Cons

Management Structure should probably try to be streamlined

Advice to Management

Streamline management

"Best New Hire Onboarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Ellucian for 5 weeks and of all the employers I have worked for Ellucian has the best onboarding process. My mentor meets with me weekly and more often if I am needed. I've been given the opportunity to shadow my mentor.

Cons

Ellucian is the process of restructuring services and building out a PMO. Starting in the mist of this transition has been a challenge but I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Advice to Management

Be open to feedback from your new hires who are not in trenched in "we have always do it this way" mindset.

"Great Place to Start a Career..."

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Remote, OR

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to work remotely, competitive base salaries, good and fairly priced benefits, excellent lower level managers. Great place to start a career, gain experience for 3-5 years, then move on.

Cons

RIFs are a normal part of the company's financial strategy and creates an atmosphere of constant insecurity across all levels. Company tries to force the desired culture rather than creating an environment where it develops naturally. Constant changes in upper management lead to frequent changes in direction that make it very difficult to have a cohesive long-term strategy (Laura Ipsen is the 3rd CEO since the formation of Ellucian in 2012). Company constantly under-staffs project to overcome pricing objections in the sales cycle, then expect consultants assigned to the project to work long hours to make up for the shortfall in staffing. Decades old ERP technology that does not adapt easily to today's market requirements. Span of control for lower level managers is much too large for them to effectively manage their staff.

Advice to Management

Senior management need to review/remember their Maslow and realize that if you don't satisfy base needs nothing else can follow. Constantly repeating culture messages won't create the culture if you ignore employee basic needs. You have to live it and let it develop naturally. Learn to say "no" during the sales cycle when needed, and teach your salespeople that there are other ways to compete other than price.

7. "Principal Consultant"

I have been working at Ellucian full-time

Pros

Great career options and environment

Cons

remote positions limited for some positions

"ScrumMaster"

Pros

Remote position, great co-workers to learn from

Cons

moving away from remote positions

9. "Smart, Passionate People, and Purpose-Driven Company"

Current Employee - Services Engineering Architect in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Services Engineering Architect in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest folks I've worked with. Committed to higher ed, and constantly driving to make things better for their customers and internally. CEO Laura Ipsen's clarity and vision is very encouraging. New products are best in class, and legacy products are quickly catching up. Lots of opportunities to take your career in different directions and try new things. Lots of kindness and empathy here. Remote work is supported where appropriate.

Cons

Last year's org changes created some churn, but that is settling down now. Work/life balance can be a challenge at times but if you advocate for yourself, management is very willing to listen and accommodate.

Advice to Management

Keep improving how the company vision and direction is communicated. Keep listening, and keep improving.

10. "The Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ellucian has the best application, onboarding and training process of any company I have ever worked for! The HR team is dedicated to timely responses, a stellar transition plan, and partners with each applicant from the initial job submission to months after you've started the job. They are intuitive to the questions you may have during the process, and are attentive to each applicant's unique needs. The company itself focuses on making Ellucian a great place to work, and is constantly asking employees for feedback, suggestions, etc., and (more importantly!) follows through with employee suggestions. Ellucian values a work-home balance, and encourages employees to take time for family, community, and giving back/volunteering where you can. When you work for Ellucian, you feel good about the work you do, the people you work with, and the impact that your work has in the world.

Cons

I do not have any 'cons' about working at Ellucian -- I truly love this job!