Ellucian Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Ellucian President and CEO Laura Ipsen
Laura Ipsen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Perks of the job include flexibility in being able to work from home" (in 39 reviews)

• "Ellucian is committed to improving not only their solutions but also work/life balance for employees" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a challenge at times but if you advocate for yourself, management is very willing to listen and accommodate" (in 18 reviews)

• "Upper management makes poor decisions about riffs, etc" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Sky Is The Limit"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I think it speaks volumes when you've worked for a company 20 years... I started with Ellucian (which was known as Systems & Computer Technology back when I started) right out of college. I was hired on as a Lotus Notes Administrator and was both nervous and excited at the same time. Jump forward 20+ years later I'm happy to say that I am still excited about the work I do here at Ellucian. I'm definitely not bored!! One thing that has helped sustain my time and to foster my success with Ellucian are the managers I've been privileged to work for... Not only have they challenged me over the years to help me grow, but they have fostered my ever so evolving strong work ethic and always reminding me to push myself and to think outside of the box which helps to ensure that I'm working and tapping into my full potential. Having good solid leadership is key and Ellucian has solid leaders in place. I am so inspired by our current CEO Laura Ipsen. She's amazing and she has clearly articulated her future vision for Ellucian which I'm very excited to be a part of!! Other pros about Ellucian is our diverse workforce, our products and services, and quite simply the fact that we're in the business of Education and ensuring that schools have innovative and cutting-edge tools which will help ensure the success of their matriculated students!! That makes me so proud to be part of a company that is committed to making a difference.

Cons

When I 1st started working for Ellucian, my department was definitely white male dominated, which I would identify as a con. Over the years I've seen more women and more women being promoted and/or hired on to serve in key leadership roles across all facets of the company. In addition, I now see more diversity in the faces of the employees that walk the halls. This is great to see!!

Advice to Management

Keep Doing What Your Doing!! Be Do Say... Let's keep making a significant difference in the Education arena!! Keep up the excellent work!!

2. "Disrupting Higher Education"

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great company that fosters a learning environment due to being surrounded by a diverse group of people that come from various professional backgrounds. It's awesome to work for a company where their mission has a huge impact on the future of education. Ellucian has awesome benefits including work from home options, 401k match that is vested right away (UNHEARD OF), plenty of PTO & sick leave, charitable leave, and plenty more!

Cons

None at the moment.

Advice to Management

I believe the ET team are making the right decisions for us to be very successful in the future.

3. "Sr. Network Administrator"

Current Employee - Senior Network Administrator in North Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Senior Network Administrator in North Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of benefits
    - Freedom to work independently

Cons

- Not clear on company direction
    - Not the best salary

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, people, opportunities and drive to make things better

Cons

Not anything I can think of..

Advice to Management

Please be cognizant to what is happening in the tech world especially higher ed tech.. We have to move faster to retain our leadership through innovation and by creating better experience through our product offerings.

5. "Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Ellucian full-time

Pros

-Flexible work schedule, work remote when you want
    -Casual environment
    -Nice office space

Cons

-Money is spent seemingly frivolously on food and travel but the raises are tiny and we are told we never have budget for things that might actually bring in revenue

"Good place to start out"

Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Software Developer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary for lower tier positions. Helping with improving the lives of students in Higher Ed

Cons

Inconsistent hiring process, Poor cross-team communication, Weak Project Management

Advice to Management

There is little to no incentive for employees to go above and beyond. Management does not have their employees' best interest in mind. Take care of your team, and employees in general, and they will take care of your company.

7. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Ellucian full-time

Pros

Fantastic people, fantastic product, fantastic customers

Cons

some of the power for region still resides in the US

Advice to Management

Keep empowering your staff, its paying dividends

8. "Continuously Improving!"

Current Employee - Customer Success Director in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Director in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ellucian is committed to improving not only their solutions but also work/life balance for employees. Recent changes in leadership are indicative of this push. The intent and purpose is clear and the culture is shifting to align, which is encouraging!

Cons

Change is hard. There is always a bit of disruption with change. While progress IS being made in the items mentioned in the "pros" section, it is sometimes slow, but at least it has been steady!

Advice to Management

Stay the course! The vision for our path is clear and improvements happen on a regular basis.

9. "Used to be fantastic, not since the combination of the 2 former rival companies."

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Manager in Reston, VA

Pros

Great benefits, great co-workers, some improvement with recent high level leadership changes.

Cons

Managers are not treated as leaders when it comes to corporate kickoffs and strategy development. Managers rarely involved in decisions but get to be the messenger to their direct reports without always having full context.

Advice to Management

Unfair that some business units within the company are loaded with Directors and VPs (that get extra benefits), but in other business units hardly anyone can reach those levels. Even within my business unit many with director title have far less demands and pressure then I do as a Sr manager. Also, I'm so overloaded with work and have an under resourced team to meet product management's unrealistic expectations, I have no time to participate in professional development activities like coaching mastery.

10. "Awesome Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Developer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open culture and atmosphere and friendly people. The work is meaningful and beneficial to millions of students. Strong work/life balance. People are encouraged to take time for personal growth and development.

Cons

Corporate culture is obvious. A lot of legacy work and cogs which make progress a lot slower. The compensation isn't the greatest considering industry standards but it is still livable.