Elster Electricity Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

"A learning experience"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Elster Electricity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

work is not hard.air conditioned building.4 day work week if not working overtime.steady work pace makes time go quickly.

Cons

dusty,standing 10 hours is not good for anyone with back or ankle problems.people you work with is sometimes bad thing but can be good.

Advice to Management

should have kept the jobs in the United States!

"pulling the rug out from under employees"

Former Employee - RMA Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - RMA Technician in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Elster Electricity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

nice people to work with in manufacturing

Cons

Moving to Mexico and pulling the rug out from under dedicated hard working people. How dare they?? The people that sustain a company and secure revenue with hard work, are the ones that are punished. Thanks

Advice to Management

none, they are losing their jobs too.

"Software Engineer @ Elster/Energy ICT"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Elster Electricity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What can I say, it was a job. It was a place where I was told what to do and I got paid for listening and doing those things. The people I work with make most of the difference between a good job and a bad job. My boss was very good to me and the people I worked with were pretty cool. The job allowed me to be productive while also paying my bills. Life was good as it should. That is until the "Cons" arrived...

Cons

Elster was purchased by an English company named Melrose PLC. The philosophy of Melrose is to Buy, Improve and Sell. The word “Improve” is very subjective considering that their biggest change was the elimination of American jobs. I hear that things are getting better in India. Maybe it's time to move there and get my old job back ;)

Advice to Management

The American dream will continue to die as long as our government does not protect us from corporations, globalization and the decay of rights. Everyone here in the USA including management should be kicking and screaming!

"Status Quo At All Cost"

Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

OK salary
    Surprisingly good benefits package
    8-5 workday for the most part
    US manufacturing

Cons

Elster N.A. is mainly comprised of Westinghouse/ABB and AMCO (American Meter Co.)
    Mixing two entities together and renaming the combination as a new entity is a logical fallacy. This is a old management delusion. These are two old school, dinosaur companies with their own culture and Elstertop management does not seem to be willing or capable of integrating them. AMCO is the politically “weak” organization that serves as a scapegoat. (i.e. recent layoffs)

This conflict and the resultant political infighting along with the typical incompetent, grandiose middle
    management in both groups hampers efforts to introduce successful new products.

Also:

There is a demonstrated lack of engineering leadership in both groups.

Upper management is passive/reactive and looks to other leading AMR/AMI companies for direction.

It’s a frustrating environment if you want to be a productive engineer developing high performance, quality products.

Typical corporate environment of too many meetings, e-mails, conflicting, redundant processes and general “work avoidance” to give management the illusion of progress.

Typical overstaffed HR.

OK place to work while you are looking for a job.

Advice to Management

Executive management needs to make a decision to truly integrate EE and AMCO or sell off AMCO. It’s not working as it is.
    Integration will require a top to bottom management housecleaning at Elster N.A. and hiring of leadership rather than management.
    Elster N.A. needs a technically competent CTO that has engineering leadership and vision beyond the end of the quarter.

"Elster conveys a miserly attitude to its employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Enjoyed relationships with co-workers.
    Good location in Raleigh, NC.
    Company has a good history in the industry, but the future does not look as bright.

Cons

The primary frustrations from my time at Elster were a lack of promotion from within the company (ie: growing the talent you already have), and a pronounced reluctance to reward good performance.

Regardless of performance, you can expect the same small annual salary increase (if any). This is highly demotivating to employees who have worked hard and pursued improvement when they discover that they not only received a pittance of an increase/bonus - but that they got nearly the same reward as the person in the next cube who is unmotivated or lazy. Furthermore, it did not seem to matter if the company was performing well or not - the result was always a miserly distribution to employees.

There was also a gradual degradation of the benefits package during my years at Elster.

It seems as if upper management is oblivious to the continuing frustration and departure of talented employees - and is only concerned with wringing as much work as they can from their workforce while giving as little as they can in return.

When I was hired, I was asked for my target starting salary. I gave a fairly conservative answer and was then informed my starting salary would be 16% less then what I had asked for.

In short - prospective employee, beware!

Advice to Management

Wise up! When good employees continue to leave your company, a good employer starts to ask "why?" - and then corrects the problem.
    The cost of keeping good employees is far less than having to deal with constant turnover or bad performance due to frustrated employees. Consider taking care of your biggest asset before that asset deteriorates and eventually decides to seek greener pastures elsewhere.

"Disappointing experience"

Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Firmware Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

1. Low pressure environment.
    2. Good life/work balance.
    3. Stable

Cons

1. Supercilious attitudes from project leads and lower level managers.
    2. Company is cheap.
         For example:
         a. Management decided it was best for employees to pay for their own coffee.
         b. I gave them a salary range I would consider before hiring, they started at the bottom. Should
              have been my first clue.
         c. Even with record growth, company did not give raises and gave a small bonus only due to
              backlash from employees.
         d. It was cold in the winter and warm in the summer. Yes, I worked inside. I had to sneak in a
              a space heater to keep my feet warm in the winter. I was there 2 winters with the same result.
         e. They asked the employees to dedicate their weekend to come in and paint the lobby. Really,
              think about this. This speaks volumes about items 2 and 3.
    3. Upper management did not respect their employees.
    4. The work pace was too slow for me.
    5. Work environment was cold. Not many people smile. Pay attention to this when interviewing. I
         noticed this when interviewing but dismissed it thinking it was just me. I can't blame the
         employees for this.
    6. No team spirit.

Advice to Management

It is the employees that essentially make a company successful. Your responsibility is to put together a good team of employees to accomplish your objectives. You can't expect to get the best out of someone if you treat them poorly. Respect them, treat them well and you will get much better results. Pay attention to how many people you have that just quit for no apparent reason. That is a sign you are not understanding. Instead of thinking there is something wrong with that employee, analyze yourself and your management team. Yes, I know this may be hard to believe, but you are not infallible.

"Good place to work and grow technically"

Pros

Great team members. Demanding technology to learn and work on it

Cons

Extended work hours. Outsourcing on the way

"Lack of Product Management vision, Senior Management micro manages development, Poor Listening skills"

Pros

- Good group of peers that work freely together and try to help each other out
    - Manufacturing in US

Cons

- Micro management from top down
    - Lack of vision
    - Lack of leadership
    - Need 360 feedback of management to Germany to clear out management
    - Lack of processes

Advice to Management

- Do not micro-manage but define vision and direction
    - Complete independently managed 360 feedback
    - Elster Group fire all managers in development, marketing, sales, support, product management that have been there 10 or more years because set in their ways, not willing to improve and evolve
    - Total lack of listening skills - not listening to technical primes and not listening to customers

"Pretty good"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Good place to work for if your willing in the hardware section.

Cons

Sal and roles need to be defined properly. It still works as an olden days company

Advice to Management

Better HR and better management to realize and talk with personal for more feedback and new initiations