Eltman Law Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent firm"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Eltman Law full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are very friendly, helpful and driven. There was a lot of freedom regarding what projects you took on and hard work was always recognized.

Cons

Projects changed focus quite often but such is business.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

2. "Business analyst"

I worked at Eltman Law full-time

Pros

Great people and relaxed work environment.

Cons

Compensation is not very good

3. "Good place to start your career"

I have been working at Eltman Law full-time

Pros

Friendly environment , people , management and benefits

Cons

No room to grow, no major downsides.

4. "Great Family oriented work environment"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Eltman Law full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone works together, and the company prides themselves on core family values. Family owned law firm.

Cons

A little unorganized at times, but over all great work environment.

Advice to Management

The supervisors should be more clear in delegating task.

5. "I've Never Been Happier to Work"

Pros

For a long time, I've debated on how to type this review in a more grounded manner, but the tremendous opportunities this company and its CEO have afforded me mean that I am nothing but grateful to be able to work with Eltman. For any young professional, Eltman offers a pathway to success through accessibility to senior management that genuinely wants you to succeed. I started here with very little experience in my field, and due to my own tenacity combined with the encouragement of my coworkers, my responsibilities have grown significantly and I've grown significantly in my role, practically leap-frogging three years ahead in my career.

Beyond the opportunities for professional development, the overall culture of the company is one that I am proud to be associated with. Managers and employees expect each other to carry out their work - relative excellence is expected from me, and if I seem to be falling short I'm able to reach out for help from superiors without worrying about appearing to be less effective. In terms of how business is done, the company actively pushes employees to treat everyone with respect, to the point of having specifically hired someone as a Consumer Advocate. It's weird to say, but I'm quite proud to be working for this firm, even with the mantle of "Collections Firm" and all of the baggage that phrase brings when describing what I do.

Finally, possibly the biggest pro of all, is the people that work at Eltman. Everyone in the firm is grounded, if not just very slightly uncouth, in a manner that results in a very positive working atmosphere. You're able to effectively come out of your shell, and find support where you need it.

Ultimately, I've never been happier to work, as my time investment feels worthwhile, my pay is adequate, and the people I work with make me proud to do my job. It's worth any extra effort on my part, and that isn't something that most companies can offer. If you're the type that likes to coast through your day, you'll certainly have some trouble. However, if you like to be busy, and want to work somewhere that you'll feel fulfilled and that you'll feel like you'll develop, you will do fantastic here.

For those looking for the other practical pros: benefits are pretty well-rounded, there are bonuses available through projects, the location is relatively convenient, and the office is well-kept, clean, open, and has a great view (though it's going to be somewhat hampered in a year or so by the building being constructed next door).

Cons

There are some difficulties in working with Eltman. If you're looking for traditional advancement - i.e. looking to move up the corporate ladder at a rapid pace, or make partner at a traditional law firm - you won't find it here. The company is very horizontally distributed, so although your role is able to grow, there aren't really defined "levels" within departments, so expect a relatively stagnant job title. Where you will grow is in whichever job skills you want to develop.

Salary-wise, I would argue it's middle of the road.

Benefits are generally good, but I feel the PTO is a little low - only 11 days in a year for starting out.

Advice to Management

Continue the current push on listening to, and investing in your staff. From those I've spoken with, the effort seems to be appreciated.

6. "Eltman Law"

I have been working at Eltman Law full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for if you are willing to work hard and learn new things. New employees are given meaningful opportunities right away to prove themselves and grow quickly within the company. Management is fair and compensation is very competitive for employees willing to work hard.

Cons

Relatively small company, so eventually opportunities for growth will start to decline - mostly for employees starting out at higher levels (director and above).

Advice to Management

Bring back some of the perks that we had at 140 Broadway. Yoga, meditation, etc.

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Eltman Law full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Eltman is a great place to jump start your career. They give young people an opportunity to grow and gain experience. They are great at creating opportunities, and they like to promote from within. The executives at eltman (Brian and Rory) are excellent to work with and help lead some interesting and dynamic projects.

Cons

The compensation starts off decent, but you quickly outgrow your salary as you develop and are paid well under market value as a result. You are also expected to work a huge amount of overtime hours, without overtime pay. A great majority of people who leave end up leaving for 20k+ raises.

You can also find you're self in situations where you are under appreciated, and are doing things that do not fall under you're job responsibilities. The work life balance is also pretty bad, depending on which department you are in.

Advice to Management

The move to NJ is not 100% to blame for the employee turnover rate. There are other more important factors like salary, and growth. Overall I think Eltman as a company is a great place, but there can be improvements.

Feb 1, 2016 – CFO/COO

Thank you for the largely positive review. We see it as a huge success in talent management that the experience folks gain working here allows them to reap such large compensation increases after a... More

"Solid Work Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Eltman Law (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with EEC for several years and had the pleasure of several things they had to offer: Small company so your voice is heard, young environment, yoga/meditation, work events (not just on holidays), team building exercises, chances for advancement are yours for the taking, family owned (down to earth folks), hard work certainly pays off and just a solid group who worked together to achieve results.

Cons

Priorities can be changed on a dime but such is life. If you are not a self starter with strong work ethic EEC can either teach you the way or you will not survive. It is up to you!

Jan 20, 2016 – CFO/COO

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback and wish you well in your new venture

"A Great Place to Grow Your Career"

Pros

Kind co-workers, a go-getter environment, and a management staff that makes one feel comfortable. One of my favorite things about this company is they grant those in their early 20’s an opportunity to take on roles that usually they would have to wait years to attain. The ability to grow in this company is unmatched.

A main reason for me leaving was the company moving to Jersey City from Manhattan (my commute became too long).

Cons

The company relocating was a hindrance for some employees, which I am told resulted in some turnover. In talking with former colleagues I am hearing that the new office is awesome though.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the finishing touches on moving locations as well as the system conversion that was going on when I left!

Jan 20, 2016 – CFO/COO

"A place for Innovative Do-ers"

Current Employee - Legal Team in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Legal Team in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Eltman values ideas. It's a company that is always trying to stay ahead in the industry by not only doing its current processes efficiently, but also by trying to come up creative ways to branch out and increase revenue. Regardless if you're a tech person, a lawyer, or a business analyst (Eltman employs all types of employees) - if you have an idea on how to improve what the firm does or help it innovate in the legal space, management will be all ears. If you have pride in what you do here and can prove that you can run your job smoothly, you are given a sense of ownership and subject matter expert status whose knowledge is referenced and the role is not micromanaged. One of the biggest pluses is that all the people in the firm are pretty cool.

Cons

If you're only an idea person with little drive to implement what you come up with, your idea won't take off. You need to champion the idea and come up with a plan to make it work, otherwise there will be no one here to do it for you. There's not a lot of hand-holding if you're the type of person who needs it, it's jump in and go which is exciting for some, but not a culture for all. Not necessarily a con, but as I said, it isn't always a preference for some employees.

Advice to Management

Let's get back to month end drinks!

Jan 20, 2016 – CFO/COO

Thanks for the strong feedback and we have month end drinks on the agenda for 2016.