Embrace Pet Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 30, 2017

4.1
Ambrish Jaiswal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Yeah we have to meet metrics and goals, but it's a great place to have to do it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Embrace Pet Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's not a high stress environment, but things still get done. When I started a few years ago it was a functioning workplace but it had a few large flaws. Now it's much better, the overall environment is positive and everyone seems to truly like their jobs. Some key trouble makers were pushed out and that made things better. Dogs in the office, great benefits, social hours, wellness opportunities, and I know exactly where I stand with my manager and what both of us have to improve on to do better. Yep, even the managers will admit they are not perfect and want to be better managers. That's novel. The flexible schedule and work from home opportunities are just icing on the cake.

Cons

Sometimes all the dogs at once can be a pain. I love them, but we need some sort of limit per area!.
    Technological repairs are slow to happen and can impede progress and innovation. Seems like they put their tech resources in the wrong place a lot of the time. Fix what's broken before you try to invent something new!

Advice to Management

The CEO's (there are 2) are like night and day. I would like to think that means they play well off of each other, but what I see (with my limited view) is Laura works her tail off and Alex barely cares or shows up. He's the big thinker with the crazy ideas, but it's like he's not in reality with those ideas sometimes. Not sure he's cut out for managing people, but he doesn't manage me so I guess I don't really know. Just my observations. My direct manager is open and seems to care what I think and need.

"Man, do I miss this place!"

Pros

I knew before I made the decision to relocate that leaving Embrace would be the hardest part of leaving Ohio. I truly loved this company and the people in it with all my heart. Such an amazingly passionate group of people with high ambitions and drive. Laura, the CEO, really changed who I was as a person in the best way possible. I became more confident in my career and personal development. She drove me crazy sometimes, but that's only because she's truly passionate about what she does and the people that work with her. I left Embrace to move out of state. I am currently working for a Fortune 500 company and I'm bored to tears.
    At Embrace I was constantly challenged. I was always outside my comfort zone. The opportunities are endless as the company is constantly expanding.
    The benefits were unreal. It seems that some employees didn't appreciate this as much as those who understand what it's like to not be able to work from home, have unlimited vacation, do yoga at lunch, have happy hour in the office on Friday afternoon, partake in a ping pong tournament, etc. Compared to a corporate environment, everything is very relaxed.
    I can't recommend this company enough. I am planning to meet with a recruiter shortly to have them find me an 'Embrace' where I live. Although, fat chance that I would find this twice.

Cons

As with any non-corporate, small/mid-sized business, growth always presents challenges. I'd say that's a pretty good problem to have and provides opportunity for invaluable experience.

Advice to Management

I don't think I said it enough. Thank you so much for every opportunity you provided to me. I miss you guys!

"Think long and hard before working there"

Pros

Excellent employee benefits
    Flexibility with schedule
    Relaxed dress code
    Great parking
    Easy highway access
    Can develop a killer ping pong game
    Pet friendly

Cons

A small place, that says its tight knit- Interpret that for cliquey and back stabbing, way too immature for the real world. It was cool for a little bit while I was there, but then I just felt like I was in the middle of a place that was too dysfunctional, to really develop me, or where I could look around and see people who I wanted to be like. It didn't make sense to stay. Working at a real place know, I didn't realize how many bad habits I picked up at Embrace, decisions were made on popularity, tantrums or tears- not for business reasons. I had to learn how to look at things with a mature business mind in my new place, and that really showed me how lame it was. Bad behavior was overlooked because they thought they were cool. No one here would excel out in the real business world. I had to shape up on my dress and my behavior in my new job, and was given a mentor who really gave me some deep insights as to what was wrong there.

Alex always had great ideas, but there was never any thought before blowing money if it would work, or if people could do it, or whether they knew how or had the capabilities or equipment/programs, etc. Or he would just bully his way through, and did it to people. He blew money, and a spend mentality, plus with his cockiness (with zero to back it up) made it hard to take him seriously. And I am afraid will lead them to not be in good financial shape.
    They laid a bunch of people off last summer- to unstable, that's how start ups are with the wrong leaders. Being a "visionary" doesn't make you a good leader, it just means you had a good idea, but doesn't teach you how to run the day to day of a business. Now I hear there's another guy that's running it, no one seems happy with that. Who knows about Laura, like the other review said, volatile. But she just seemed pretty miserable. Her idea of culture and values, was nice, but they don't know how to implement them. She def talks out of both sides of her mouth- too emotional.

Advice to Management

Sell to your competitors and make some $$$$ or all the owners and shareholders.

Embrace Pet Insurance Response

May 10, 2017 – CEO & Co-Founder

Thank you for sharing your experience at Embrace; I know that Embrace isn’t for everyone and we are not perfect. I am happy to hear that you found a new opportunity that you enjoy. We want all of our... More

4. "Intern"

I worked at Embrace Pet Insurance part-time

Pros

The company has a great training program, extremely friendly, and great office. You feel very welcomed starting out, and the morale is great. The entire office is like a team, and everyone is truly passionate about making it better.

Cons

The only con is that there are no bonuses unless you get a promotion. However, you have to keep in mind that it is a start up company.

Advice to Management

None. I think Alex and Laura make a great team. Alex is easy-going and full of ideas and ambition. Laura is really the drive. She also has the ambition and the motivation with her head in the game. I think they really do what is best for the company.

"Excellent company, great perks."

Current Employee - Customer Care
    Current Employee - Customer Care

I have been working at Embrace Pet Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Embrace is a wonderful company to work with. The employees all feel like family and you can relax and be comfortable with everyone. You can dress casually, have your dog on your lap, or play with the foster kitties. The pay is fantastic, management is great, HR is great. Salary is a wonderful benefit, as is the healthcare and pets in the office. There's always yummy food in the kitchen. Great company, highly recommend.

Cons

The only con is that is can sometimes get stressful and overwhelming sometimes.

Advice to Management

Stay golden.

"Puts up a front of great culture but not a reality as of now"

I have been working at Embrace Pet Insurance full-time

Pros

- Wellness breaks.
    - Ability to work from home.
    - Some amazing employees.
    - Lunchowl (a healthy catered lunch service)
    - Relaxed dress code
    - Good benefits
    - Pets in the office

Cons

- Condescending CEO. Laura Bennett can be quite nice, but it is about a 50-50 shot if she will be nice to you or belittle you. She can often be found berating employees for trivial things. I have seen her yell at multiple people for throwing away something that is recyclable. If you happen to make a mistake on something she is involved with she will either let you know by talking down to you, or by openly discussing how bad of a job you are doing to other people.

- This attitude trickles down from the CEO to a couple of the departments. Since the company is so small you are bound to have to work with those bad apples. (Unless you are in a department like the claims department or customer service who primarily work independent of the rest of the company)

- I have seen multiple people breakdown in tears at work (truly a first for me). It is not a very uncommon thing to occur either. Since Embrace is a "start up" it is constantly understaffed. This puts added stress on employees. When you couple this with the presence of a few negative people that you are forced to work with you are left with numerous good employees that cannot handle the stress and ultimately leave.

- Don't be tricked by "unlimited vacation". It is a common thing for people to not utilize more than a week or two as you are not encouraged to use your vacation here. Other places I have worked actually promoted the use of vacation, but since there is such a staffing issue here you are guilted when you leave. When you have a set number of days you are able to feel justified using them, but with this unlimited vacation policy you feel guilty for taking more than a week or two off per year.

- Salary and raises are what you would expect from a start up type company (lower than the industry standard). Typically in this type of company you are coming into a great culture so it makes up for the decrease in pay. As shown above this is not the case for Embrace.

- Overall Embrace has quite a few good points, but the negatives I listed are not exaggerated. You have to weigh these in your decision before coming here. If you have a choice between jobs I would recommend going somewhere else especially if it pays more. This is not the paradise it is proclaimed to be, and after time you will begin to see this.

Advice to Management

Please reevaluate how you treat your employees. This could be such a great place to work at (like it is touted to be), but you need to stop belittling people. You treat your employees like children, and that is one of the biggest issues here. In addition hire more people, encourage employees to take time off, and then you can justify to potential employees why they should choose to work here over somewhere that would pay more.

Embrace Pet Insurance Response

Apr 29, 2015 – CEO & Co-Founder

Embrace’s culture is very important to me, and while not perfect, it is always something we strive to perfect. I am also a work in progress. I apologize if you have felt I was condescending or have... More

"Positive work environment, great perks, and growing company"

I have been working at Embrace Pet Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enthusiastic and good-hearted coworkers, dogs are allowed in the office, yoga and pilates classes during the week, ability to work from home two days a week, relaxed work environment, management who is dedicated, kind and knowledgeable, CEOs are very involved and accessible.

Cons

The commute into Beachwood is not fun, but flexible work hours helps. Working for a smaller company sometimes means less pay but more intangible perks, which is the case for a number of employees.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow, keep up the good communication and involvement as much as possible!

"The hype is real - great place to work"

I have been working at Embrace Pet Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management and leaders truly care about the employees. Employees are given generous benefits including free pet insurance, health insurance, unlimited vacation time, wellness opportunities, casual dress code, pets in the office, work from home days, etc. New ideas are valued and employees are trusted with responsibility. The whole company actually sticks to the core values. Refreshing!

Cons

Very few employees actually live near Beachwood, 30 minute drive to work minimum.

Advice to Management

Keep on staying true to the core values.