Embraer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of recognition of good talents / slow career growth (in 8 reviews)

• Decision making by upper management is slow (in 7 reviews)

"Great company, horrible middle management running this location into the ground"

Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Aircraft Mechanic in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Embraer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, fair pay for area, Familiarization courses, resume builder

Cons

Middle management gives false information to the floor and senior management. Just waiting for Brazil to give up and sell the place. Very reactive, hardly ever proactive on decision making.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting people that suck at their current position or were some sort of management at Republic. They ran that in to the ground, now doing the same here.

""Good for fresh graduates, no carrer evolution for experienced professionals. ”"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Embraer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment, good co-workers and good benefits

Cons

Many good people left... boys club, buddy system established and not a chance to get fairly promoted. Career development is an illusion. Upper management is not aware of mid-management practices, this goes against company culture and motivates people to leave

Advice to Management

Management cannot outsmart all the smart people they have around them. Be fair to your employees, don't fool them... you should encourage the bests to stay... to many are gone already...

"Mechanical Engineer"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Embraer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many. It's in Florida if you like beaches. Nice building. Beyond that, I can't give it a plus at all.

Cons

Management is way over their head. No clue how to run an Engineering team. Anyone with any kind of experience has left or looking to leave. Those that don't have much experience are only sticking around long enough to get some experience before they leave. You won't be utilized for your experience since management doesn't pay any attention to your resume. They have their own agenda and that's to surround themselves with people who love the word yes. You'll know who management is by their heads bobbing up and down in the front row in any meeting which includes the Brazillians or Leadership. Watch out for HR too. Everyone knows who the good are and the bad. The good work for you, the others are self serving and nothing you say is confidential. When you look at the reviews listed for this company, I can see HR and Management all through the positive reviews. I can tell you that none of the regular employees would say positive things like that. When most of us interviewed, we were told fabrications and lies about bonus numbers, job titles and responsibilities. Don't expect anything said to you to come to reality. The sad thing is, this could have been good. Instead, I'll be suprized if the Brazillians don't wrap up and head home as soon as the Florida Tax money runs out.

Advice to Management

Take some classes or go work somewhere else where you won't destroy the young kids your supposed to be mentoring.

"product development engineer"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Embraer (Less than a year)

Pros

good working environment, nice people

Cons

low salary, too opened work space

"Purchaser"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Employees are helpful and great to work with. Pay is low if you are a contract employee

Cons

Purchasing department is mismanaged with a lot of turn over due to the poor representation of a dishonest Management personnel. Management demeans the team on a regular basis

Advice to Management

Replace purchasing management with an honest personnel that the team can trust and work well with.

"Good Company but low pay."

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

Pros

Great projects and major opportunity in Melbourne Florida.

Cons

Very low Salarys and low raises.

"Disorganized Engineering Management"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Embraer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Embraer gives fair benefits. You have job security, because there's always more work than hands to do it. Engineering dept. specific: Reasonably relaxed work environment (business casual, jeans on Friday, salary, track your own hours).

Cons

The parent company is in Brazil. If you don't speak Portuguese fluently you'll be spinning your wheels more often than not. Little *real* growth potential when you already get paid more than your Brazilian counterparts but don't qualify or there is no opening for lead or management roles. Engineering dept. specific: Management is disorganized, non-communicative, or just plain short-sighted. There is no evidence of planning ahead. Projects launch without sufficient information, issues raised are ignored until inevitably delivery dates are missed, employees are pressured to "get it done now" instead of "get it done right" and the processes are ignored and this creates new issues and compounding delays.

Advice to Management

Ensure following established processes is the *only* way to work. Import more processes, training, and standards from Brazil *proactively*, instead of each new product being fraught with surprises. Shield your people from criticism and pressure when things go wrong. Establish *more conservative* estimates of time and manpower, and never try to compress schedules when things are critical. The engineers in Brazil seem to avoid these issues. Maybe it's just their relaxed attitude and environment? But if your employees are stressed, they will eventually leave. Pay competitive wages and make aggressive counter-offers or you'll lose your best talent and repeat the "growing pains" with each new project. Your competitors seem to think I'm worth 2 pay grades above where I am now, and I'm looking at the possibility of a raise that is little more than inflation... Do I soldier on, unappreciated, under pressure, or do I at worst gamble on being in the same situation but with much better pay?

"Educational"

Former Employee - Engineer in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Embraer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the bells and whistles you get with any large company regarding retirement plans and benefits. The Brazilians are, for the most part, very nice people who appear willing to do whatever it takes to overcome an issue or series of issues. The company has been around for years and is producing marketable products, look at their client list. Embraer clearly has the technical and engineering expertise needed.

Cons

I was one of the first 8 or 10 hired to the Melbourne engineering office, i.e. long before the new building was constructed across the street from production. I was hired to help revamp the 650 interior in an effort to make it more competitive within its market sector. I've been involved with VIP and VVIP aircraft interiors for over 20 years and of course this is why I felt I was made a member of the team. I was excited about the program and looked forward to providing the necessary assistance to get the ball rolling. Well needless to say, the ball never got rolling! Bits and pieces were dribbled to Melbourne from Brazil and there was no, I mean no, management of this data in an effort to make sure the work was accomplished efficiently if at all. We were literally left every day to do nothing or next to nothing as Brazil was completely reluctant to turn over any authority to the Melbourne office. Additionally, there was little to no communication infrastructure in place between the US office and Brazil, none! One just hoped to meet a counterpart in the Brazil office that he or she could contact as a point of contact there. My time with Embraer taught me that cultural differences are huge. The way that we do things in the US under FAA regulations are completely different than the way Brazilians work with ANAC in Brazil. And you'll notice I said "under" with regard to the FAA and "with" regarding ANAC. There's a difference! Those who have some familiarity with the two agencies and who they govern, know what I'm talking about. To sum up, Embraer US Engineering management is the worst I've worked with. Production was fine, they are managed by US passport holders who know how things have to be done in the US, the engineering office needs to be managed by US passport holders as well.

Advice to Management

If you are going to run a company in the US to gain a foothold in our market, fine but research how things are done in our market before you open and office here. Clearly the FAA does things differently from ANAC and knowing that before setting up shop could have saved you millions! Also, if you are going to set up an engineering office in the US, research how it is to be run efficiently before doing so. This can be done by hiring/paying Americans who Know. Don't bring a Brazilian who doesn't have a clue! Trying to control and limit a US satellite office from Brazil is just asking for trouble. I wish all the best for Embraer Melbourne, I'm sure the deep pockets will overcome the hurdles at some point.

"Family company but no future for woman"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Embraer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HR people are very friendly and helpful in the US.

Cons

Woman has not a great potential to grow in the company. Company's communication is not aligned, Brazil and US executives have conflicts, even in the same country. US executives barely speaks the official language of the company, Portuguese. They don't even try to learn.

Advice to Management

Create more chances of promotion for woman and benefits to attend woman.

"Exciting place to be with great potential for upward mobility"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Embraer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In a growth mode with a lot of opportunities to advance and work on diverse projects. Great support from the team in Brazil. Management quickly addresses co-workers that are not a good fit in the organization. Good communication and a lot of passion in the office. Very supportive co-workers, everyone wants to succeed

Cons

Maturing some processes and having good IT support

Advice to Management

Make sure the right people are brought on board as the company grows