Emcien Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I love my job"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emcien full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy what I do. I like my co-workers and the product.

Cons

Lots to do. This sector is very new and is moving fast.

Advice to Management

Thank you.

"A Toxic, Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Emcien full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A select group of employees can advance quickly, have generous vacation and PTO, great work/life balance, and a good amount of free non-project time.

You can wear everyday clothing as long as it’s appropriate.

The office is large, so the company’s approx. 12 employees can spread out comfortably.

Cons

It’s my opinion that Emcien is a toxic workplace that has a proven track record of chasing off numerous intelligent, talented, hardworking professionals.

Based on my personal experience, it seems to me that if you take a job at Emcien, you may experience or witness the following...

Hostile work environment created by management:

*Being told by the CEO that your work is garbage and it belongs in the trash and that you don't have the capacity to learn.

* The CEO and CTO repeatedly cutting down former employees. And making fun of current employees behind their backs.

* Being yelled at by the CEO.

* Being spoken to rudely, disrespectfully by the CEO and CTO.

* Being told by the CTO on 3 separate occasions that he did not want to hire you because he thought your work wasn't good enough.

* The CTO challenging an employee aggressively and loudly at length on matters pertaining to the employee's area of expertise, but not the CTOs (the appropriate balance of volume and relevance when selecting keywords for a paid search campaign, etc). And rejecting any attempts by the employee to de-escalate, pause, or move past the frightening, unprofessional exchange.

* The CTO storming up to an employee and loudly barking passive-aggressive questions (about a trivial matter - a slide in a sales deck) obviously meant to criticize and bully.

Dishonest, unethical behavior from management:

* The CEO committing to provide benefits via an offer letter, but then failing to provide them, arguing the benefits were never offered, arguing to compensate only a fraction of benefits, and only agreeing to honor the full benefits in the offer letter after 2 additional uncomfortable meetings.

* The CEO inventing fake employees on social media.

* Senior leadership writing fake employee reviews on Glassdoor.

* The CEO making commitments to employees about yearly bonuses and then reneging on them.

* The CEO failing to provide revised paperwork re: a stock benefit until 6 months after employees requested it.

* The CEO and CTO taking negative action against an employee, in what appeared to be an act of retaliation, after the employee made a complaint about the CEO’s rude behavior and dishonest representation of the employee’s job description and level of autonomy.

Contempt for expertise and micro-micromanagement from management:

* The CEO insisting that the company is a "high feedback environment" where work improves through open dialogue and constructive criticism. But instead using that claim as cover to control projects and provide sharp criticism and destructive comments on employee work.

* The CEO and CTO requiring that select employees (themselves included) review projects outside their department and where they have zero or little expertise. And simultaneously dismissing the recommendations of staffers in that department who do have expertise.

* The CEO micromanaging the work of employees when the opportunity arises.

Sexism/gender discrimination from management:

* The CEO, CTO, and senior leadership disproportionately inflicting the bad behavior outlined in this review on women.

* The CEO fighting with the company’s only female employee over 5+ meetings to avoid giving her a modest cost-of-living raise after achieving a near-perfect annual review.

* The CEO telling the only female employee never to ask for any more money ever again.

* The CEO discontinuing performance reviews for the company’s only female employee.

* This, while simultaneously giving the male engineering team regular reviews, significant raises, promotions, and significant bonuses.

* The CEO giving bonuses disproportionately to the male engineering team and not tying bonuses to performance reviews.

Sexual harassment:

* The CEO taking no significant action after an employee reported being sexually harassed by a colleague.

* The CEO then sexually harassing the complaining employee herself by slapping her hard on the buttocks and accusing her of being in love with a colleague.

* The CEO later harassing the same employee further by touching her inner thigh and telling the employee that “for all she knew, this was sexual harassment.”

Miscellaneous dysfunction:

* The CEO directing the company in an opportunistic and reactionary way rather than building a solid foundation of strategy, planning, and process.

* The CEO insisting on a continuous cycle of thrashing, directing employees to revise a handful of projects (ex: a sales deck) over and over again for months with no evidence that revisions improved performance significantly. And at the same time, leaving the majority of other critical priorities and projects untouched.

* The CEO and CTO not admitting, or taking responsibility for, mistakes or failures and instead blaming others or insisting the mistake or the failure didn’t happen or was intended all along.

* The CEO and CTO seeming to scapegoat and abuse current employees amid company failures.

* The CEO and CTO promoting a member of the senior leadership team despite his very public and well-known avoidance of work, use of company time for naps and shopping, coming in late and leaving early. And despite multiple complaints about his work performance from multiple employees. This, while holding other employees to significantly higher standards of conduct and performance.

Advice to Management

The CEO and CTO should be replaced with qualified executives that can manage a team and business effectively and in accordance with the law.

"Acknowledge the Dysfunction"

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Emcien full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've managed to be one of the few who have avoided the wrath of the CEO by flying under the radar thus far. The product works well as long as management is able to continue to hide the volatility and lack of corporate/professional experience of the CEO from those who could take the product to the next level.

Cons

Lack of any experience (coupled with a large helping of arrogance) on behalf of the micro-managing CEO outside of a start-up environment may be what brings this company to its knees if an intervention isn't done soon. It will be terribly disappointing to watch this ground-breaking product fall apart due to fear of retribution for doing nothing more than standing up for what is right.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending the erratic behavior is normal.

"Love the company and the product"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emcien (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only company that strived to create a predictive analytics solution that actually works in the business environment. The focus on getting things done right is immense. I love that! Great team. Great team work.

Cons

Everyone works hard. No place to hide.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"On it's way out"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vinings, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vinings, GA

I worked at Emcien full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are intelligent, laid-back people, and the environment is relaxed.

Cons

The management is in terrible shape, and probably beyond repair. I left the company about a month ago largely because I feel quite confident that the CEO has attempted to financially defraud myself and my coworkers on several occasions. At best, she lacks sufficient concern for the financial well-being of her employees to be diligent about the contents of legal documents, but I suspect that the consistent pattern of negligence, always beneficial to the same parties, is deliberate. Meanwhile, the rest of the management spends such great effort tiptoeing around the CEO's short temper and tendency for micro-management that it's difficult for them to coordinate effort towards the important issues facing the company.

I'm extremely disappointed by the obviously fake reviews on this page, although not surprised. Falsifying a record of employee impressions while seeking to hire is unethical in a pretty concrete way, and likely also a violation of Glassdoor's terms of service. Two new 5-star reviews have appeared on this page in the time since I left the company, during which period I know that no other employees have left. Having spent about a year and a half at Emcien, a rather small company where I had the opportunity to speak privately at some point with every one of my individual coworkers, I'm confident that the reviews seen here are not broadly reflective of the actual opinions of current employees. Since I'm also certain that the two most recent reviews are falsified, it seems very likely that many of the others are as well. In fact, many of the job titles seen here are not even actual job titles used at the company.

To the extent that I have the time and that it is necessary, I intend to repost this as often as required so that it will not be buried by further fake reviews.

Advice to Management

Find something better to do with your time than supporting and defending a compulsively dishonest person.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emcien (More than a year)

Pros

Emcien has built a solution that is truly revolutionizes the way companies can leverage their data.
    I'm a truly amazed at the calibre of employees, their dedication to the company and the mission.
    The bar here is very high.
    I truly enjoy every day at work.
    Meaning and purposeful.

Cons

Never had a slow day!

Advice to Management

I love working here. Thanks for building such an amazing team.
    I appreciate the visibility that is provided to all the employees.

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Emcien full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast moving and people are help accountable. If you really want to contribute, this is the place for you. Everyones's contribution is valued and evaluated - and you get honest feedback. I feel good with myself at the end of the day. I feel valued. During my course of working at Emcien, I have also learned to value others.

Cons

There is no place to hide. Everyone is held accountable. If you do not want to work or want to take advantage of the system - Emcien is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep the pressure on all business units to get their job done!

"One of the worst places I've ever worked."

I worked at Emcien full-time

Pros

I believed the hype--that they were deveoping cutting edge Big Data solutions.
    I like small companies with big potential where I can contribute on multiple levels.
    Some of the people were really bright and nice.

Cons

The CEO seems to be a sociopathic lier. I have no other way to explain her behavior. She would like to prospects, clients, and employees alike. Furthermore, she was never satisfied with anything. Ever. So you end up doing the same things over and over and over again and never getting anywhere. It became demoralizing and debhilitating. Anf, if by chance, something good did happen, she would take all the credit. Miserable place to work if you care and really want to contribute. Hugely underpaid as well. No respect for people.

Advice to Management

Get a real CEO. Stop the lies.Value people and their contributions.

"Fun work place, Emcien is leading the big data analytics sector!"

I have been working at Emcien full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone cares about the company, the employees, the products and the customers! and it shows!!

Cons

Fast paced, be ready to contribute real value

"Unique products/ authentic leadership, big future!"

Pros

Your managers and executives care about you. They want you to be happy and comfortable, and provide a challenging and exciting environment where you are always learning while having a great time. You look forward to coming to the office and seeing your co-workers and leadership team. You constantly learn about many industries, and have the unique opportunity to see the products in action. It's great people selling great software. This is a very rare office environment that will make working anywhere else extremely difficult because nothing will compare.

Cons

Some days can get hectic because there is so much going on.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in hiring talented people and encouraging them to grow constantly.