Emerald Technology Recruitment Reviews | Glassdoor

Emerald Technology Recruitment Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2019

Found 25 reviews

3.3
Emerald Technology Recruitment CEO Mike Jones (no image)
Mike Jones

"Great Company - Fantastic Support"

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment

Pros

I recently read some of the reviews for Emerald Technology on Glassdoor and they seem very inappropriate and false, maybe added by bitter ex staff members who have failed. I worked for Emerald Technology for some years and I can only provide positives feedback. Firstly, what the business actually does is very exciting, unique and they are passionate about it. Secondly the MD and Directors took the time to train... and invest in me personally and professionally over my time in the business. Working with them gave me a fantastic foundation to further my career years later and I am absolutely grateful for that! Would highly recommend the business to any passionate search consultants!

Cons

None really, just keep up good work.

Advice to Management

Continue the growth and focus on culture!!

Emerald Technology Recruitment2016-08-17

August 22, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your feedback - we're really glad to hear that you had a good experience with Emerald, and appreciated the training provided. The leadership team are very passionate about what we do, and it's great that you've recognised this. We wish you all the best for your career moving forward.

"Great place to work!"

Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment

Pros

Great training offered from day 1. A growing organisation with lots of progression opportunities. Lots of individual, team and company incentives each week. Earning potential is high!

Cons

Working with people, whether it be the candidates or the clients can be frustrating, however equally rewarding!

Emerald Technology Recruitment2016-07-21

August 22, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your review - we're so pleased to hear that you had a good experience with Emerald. We put a great deal of focus on offering progression opportunities and good incentives, as well as good earning potential for our staff. We wish you all the best for your future career.

"Low Base salaries Over egged targets"

Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment

Pros

Have a really strong opinion of themselves - bordering on arrogance Have a good MD/CEO who is an excellent recruiter Comission Scheme was good

Cons

Large targets - not convinced on the realism of them No opportunity to work in big accounts as they are hogged Believe they are superior to other consultancies , but they offer just the same service Low base salary - not good payers at entry level

Emerald Technology Recruitment2016-07-08

July 13, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your review – we’re pleased to hear that you approve of our MD as an excellent recruiter, and that your feelings on our commission scheme are positive. However, we must stand by our targets, which we believe are realistic and achievable. We also do our utmost to offer a unique, ‘niche’ service to our clients and customers.

"Boiler room operation with delusions of grandeur"

in Birmingham, England

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment for more than a year

Pros

1. Company days out were a blast! 2. Comprehensive training 3. Many staff move onto much greater things because if you can last more than 12 months at Emerald you must be carved out of granite.

Cons

Upon joining there were approximately twenty staff based within the Birmingham office. After a fairly successful 2013, Emerald underwent a period of rapid growth. As a result, Emerald opened two new offices in Dubai and Singapore and hired an additional twenty five or so staff members. The problem was that the management were not prepared or capable of dealing with this rapid expansion and the resultant was an... extremely watered down culture made up of drug addicts, immature university graduates and sub par recruitment consultants fleeing from large recruitment firms. With two changes of management in nine months within Singapore, and an under performing Dubai team, the Management were unable to rectify their mistakes and this will likely cause major issues for the business in the future. As far as I am aware these issues and many more persist to this day. There are three primary Directors; a sexist narcissist, and pseudo salesman drug addict, and an MD that is stuck between the two. I feel that the biggest issue of this business is the Managements out right reality distortion. The management fall into the trap of making their top billing consultants into Managers or Directors despite their utter lack of leadership and management ability. What is laughable is the Directors inability to see the errors that they're making, and the fact they're too proud to correct them before they cause irreparable damage. Work life balance within the business is none existent. Many of the consultants work fourteen to sixteen hour days for little to no money. Emerald Technology is very much an atmosphere of 'work harder, not smarter' and anyone that deviates from this mentality is shunned or very quickly fired. Since leaving, I've heard nothing but continued negativity about the business and a number of the reviews posted here support my statements. There seems to have been more ridiculous promotions, more dreadful hires, and a lot of people have been leaving the business. Ultimately, for a business that's been running for fifteen years, and one that is held so highly by it's management and brainwashed employees, why has Emerald only scratched £4.5m turnover in the last two years? They must be doing something wrong? I'll never forget the MD stating 'We want to float on the NASDAQ when we hit £25m'. Good luck!

Advice to Management

Buy a couple of books on how to run a business without alienating your staff and building yourself an incredibly bad reputation within the industry.

Emerald Technology Recruitment2016-07-27

July 29, 2016Company Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback. We will take this into account; however, the overwhelming majority of your information is either vastly outdated or completely factually inaccurate. In particular, the idea that our MD could have stated an intention to float on NASDAQ – a North American technology index – is quite amusing! We are genuinely sorry to hear that your experience with Emerald has left you viewing the company with such animosity, and wish you all the best for your future career.

"Don't be fooled"

Former Employee - Global Headhunter

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the people are great! Some of the team leaders have superb technical knowledge and are willing to share it with you.

Cons

If you don't bleed Emerald you won't get anywhere! Expectancy to work 12 hr days regardless of your workload. Some of the staff are complete and utter idiots but are loved by the management.

Advice to Management

Stop the hire and fire mentality!

Emerald Technology Recruitment2016-06-13

June 20, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your review - we’re pleased to hear that you respect the technical knowledge of the team leaders here, as training vertical market experts is something we pride ourselves upon. As for the rest of our staff, we must disagree - we believe that our team is world-class, and we intend to continue investing in each and every individual, as well as bringing on board fresh additions, to ensure that it remains that way.

"Old school attitudes and drug fuelled dictatorship culture"

Former Employee - Global Headhunter in Birmingham, England

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office. Well trained (but not implemented).

Cons

Smash the phones all day everyday. Have no life. Do as the Managers say and line their pockets. No excuses. New and experienced staff thrown out the door with no thought or any form of procedure. Promote favourites with no skill or leadership experience. Give them no training and don't think your getting paid enough to do the job. If you have any ideas don't expect to have them heard. Try and do something different... and expect to be looking for a new job. Emerald way or the highway!

Advice to Management

Try putting leaders in leadership positions. That seems to work better than big billing dictators!

Emerald Technology Recruitment2016-02-05

June 13, 2016Company Director

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We’re pleased that you enjoyed the office environment; and also that you appreciated the induction training, which we have injected considerable time and effort into creating and refining. However, we will take your other comments on board, as we are always looking to improve.

"Positive attitudes and problem solvers get far!"

Current Employee - Global Headhunter in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you have a normal level of common sense and are open to learning from the people who have the key and advice you will get far! You will become a subject matter expert and could be a part of one of the most talked about Technology Solution providers. I personally have made a substantial amount of money working here, all I did was listen, learn and remain positive with a "can do" attitude. If you have a focus and... happy to work hard, you'll be there forever! I've seen many people come and go, they go because they cannot handle the dedication required and this industry is far too testing for them. If you think you have what it takes, you will become a legacy member of Emerald Technology!

Cons

Long hours, but the commission is worth it.. Small companies will have teething problems, but I know I can offer a value through the growth process to help make these changes happen for the benefit of the staff.

Emerald Technology Recruitment2015-10-31

June 13, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your review; it’s great to hear your positive comments on the business. We pride ourselves on providing our staff with the opportunity to work with game-changing technology solution providers, and we’re glad that you appreciate this. We do, however, appreciate that you’ve noticed the struggles often faced by smaller organisations, and will take your feedback into consideration going forward.

"Tier 1"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a clear structure for progression and opportunities for you to create your own path within the organisation. As well as having the opportunity to learn about an industry, a well-treaded path is provided for motivated professionals to become executors and ambassadors of how to conduct business properly. Great business model, ethos and culture.

Cons

This company have extremely high standards and due to the initial learning curve being longer the norm, can take longer for professionals to become ingrained within their market and realise a true return on their time invested.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and only hire the best.

Emerald Technology Recruitment2015-10-20

June 13, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your feedback – we’re glad you’ve noticed the structure we have implemented for progression, and that you appreciate our business model. We plan to continue in a similar fashion, making changes where needed. We will certainly take your comments on board in relation to this.

"Working here!"

Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment

Pros

Great training delivered by the MD, great OTEs and the genuine chance to earn over £100k! The Directors are all promoted internally too.

Cons

As everyone is so committed to success, both the consultants and management, it can be long hours - though that is a small con as they don't really notice it!

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company, and keep the regular pay rises! Keep promoting internally, as it's the best policy to help retain staff!

Emerald Technology Recruitment2015-10-19

June 13, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your review – it’s great to hear your positive feedback on the training and monetary rewards that we offer. We endeavour to promote internally wherever we possibly can, so we’re glad that you recognise and appreciate this. We’ll utilise this feedback to continue to improve our business moving forward.

"Excellent Company"

Business Administrative Apprentice in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment

Pros

Great Work rewards, brilliant career progression and non monetary and monetary benefits are brilliant. Also the workplace is a great place has a brilliant atmosphere which makes for an even more impressive work life.

Cons

None that I have seen so far.

Emerald Technology Recruitment2015-10-13

June 14, 2016Company Director

Thank you for your review. We’re delighted to hear your positive feedback on the employee rewards, workplace atmosphere and general working life. We hope you’ll continue to enjoy working with Emerald for years to come.

Found 25 reviews