Emergency Medical Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Bertolini, MD

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Physician in Livingston, NJ
    Current Employee - Physician in Livingston, NJ

Pros

Competitive salaries, collegial and supportive work environment, room for long term growth and career development, part of a great team!

Cons

Primarily a NY/NJ based company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great job you are currently doing. Continue to support your docs/ AP's/ CIM's.

2. "CIM management is conniving and sneaky"

Former Employee - CIM Department in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - CIM Department in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Emergency Medical Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned the relentless and conniving nature of the members of the CIM management team. If I ever plan to lead a professional life of malice I'll follow the examples set here.

Cons

See above and below for cons of working for this department. You can learn how to manage with the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude and to set poor examples of work ethic if you get the opportunity to work in this department.

Advice to Management

Work honorably from the top rather than leading those under you to work unethically and dishonorably. The director would instruct her direct reports to carry out unfair, unethical tasks out of spite and malice. Human Resources is as unethical, corrupt, and underhanded as them so there should be no expectation of alleviation from them.

3. "EM Physician Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director, EM Physician in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Director, EM Physician in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Emergency Medical Associates full-time

Pros

A company invested in its employees to grow and promote leadership. Colleagues that will work with you as a strong team and promote a fun environment to work in.

Cons

Most sites are in the Northeast. On the flip side, most sites are in or around NYC.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote a healthy work environment and a home to EM docs to build their career.

"Used to be a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Emergency Medical Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, blessed with a great Manager, pleasant work environment. Sometimes the work is interesting.

Cons

Since being acquired by EmCare, everything that made EMA a "cool" place to work is slowly being taken away. 401k matching has changed, benefits are less and more expensive. Our original Job titles have been changed to titles comparable to those working the floor at Staples. My current workload no more resembles that of which I was hired to do. Work load has more than trippled. Not much room for advancement. Hiring freeze keeps our department short of much needed new hires. Employee moral has taken a huge hit with many considering leaving. It's a crying shame. The only saving grace is the fantastic people that I work with.

Advice to Management

Listen to the chatter and grumblings...it's informative and very valid. Changes will be needed to keep the quality of employees that made the company great.

5. "Disreputable Company"

Former Employee - Medical Scribe in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Scribe in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The company has a very in depth and extensive interview process. The staff in charge of hiring and conducting interviews are nice and easy to talk to.

Cons

The company is completely unethical! EMA offered me a position over the phone after nearly a month of interviews, tests, and paperwork. However a week before my training was supposed to begin, I hadn't heard from the company. I contacted them only to be informed that the job I had been given was canceled! The company promised me they would help me pay for the new apartment I had just gotten in anticipation of starting full time work. They also promised to help me find a new job at another hospital. All of this was done over the phone. After this conversation, I never received any sort of compensation nor another job. I also never heard back from the company despite attempting to contact them half a dozen times!

Advice to Management

The right thing to do in situations like mine is to treat your employees fairly, especially when the mistake made is completely yours. If you make a promise to an employee, you should follow through with it and make sure to put it in writing so you can be held accountable for your unethical behavior if you wish to maintain the reputation of your company.

6. "Clinical Information Manager"

Current Employee - Clinical Information Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Clinical Information Manager in Albany, NY

Pros

great learning experience: medical terminology, diagnostics, procedures (ideal for pre-med/pre-PA); working side by side with excellent ER physicians; flexible schedule

Cons

shift work--difficult to have a "normal" life; majority of shift spent at a computer; not ideal for long term position

"Great place to work."

Former Employee - Clinical Information Manager in Lumberton, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Information Manager in Lumberton, NC

I worked at Emergency Medical Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management was nice and easy to get along with. I was always able to work when I wanted and get time off when I needed.

Cons

Can't think of any, I loved my job as a CIM (medical scribe)

"Fulfilling work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Emergency Medical Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are generally very nice to work with and willing to answer your questions. Benefits are decent and there are opportunities to grow and develop.

Cons

The physicians believe they are superior to others in the company. This may change a bit now that the company was acquired by EmCare and the physicians are no longer partners. Decisions and approvals can take an extraordinarily long time. Many people have been with the company for a very long time, so suggestions for performing tasks differently can take a while to get buy in for.

Advice to Management

Embrace change and continue to be open with employees on the vision and future of the company. With the company's acquisition this is increasingly important.

"A filler job while you wait for the next big thing"

Current Employee - Clinical Information Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Clinical Information Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Emergency Medical Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation is decent, compared to other similar companies. They also offer a 401k and benefits to full-time employees, and you only need 30 hours to be considered full-time. The shifts can be long - up to 12 hours - but that means you only work 3 days a week, making it fairly easy to take classes or work a 2nd job.

Cons

It's a great job for those that want to become healthcare professionals - doctors, PAs, nurses, etc. If those are not your interests though, it's a filler job. The company promotes the ability to climb the ranks, but while there many CIMs throughout the company, there are only 3 regional managers and 1-2 trainers. No information is shared about how to transition to other areas within the company.

Advice to Management

Provide support for CIMs to gain job skills so they can transition out of the CIM position and work their way up in the company. Management recognizes that the CIM job is temporary for a lot of employees, but others get stuck in the position and there's no support to get out of it.

"Outstanding company, Absolutely the BEST"

Current Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Ranson, WV
    Current Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Ranson, WV

Pros

The camaraderie, perks, benefits, time off policy, teamwork, diversity, and the willingness to work together. Most of all I appreciate that the work environment is one that is conducive to learning and success. This is definitely an outstanding and proactive company.

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

Please consider paying employees for orientation, credentialing and scheduling improvements.